Firebird sized PAF?

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Of all the goofy pickup questions, I don't think I've ever noticed this being asked.
I REALLY dig Firebirds, but I just can't dig the pickups.
Original ones are good (but not great...to me, anyway), and the modern ones have some good sounds, but some terrible ones, too.
Is there a PAF-style pickup in a small package that fits in a Firebird?
I have a 'bird with P90s already, so no point in suggesting that.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Though the smaller coil size has limitations, there are some tricks to get close that are actually quite effective. Once could even make one that's a warmer, more midrangy, fatter sounding pickup than the average PAF, without just using thin wire and winding high turn counts.

So, not exactly PAF sounds, no. ....but you can get close or even something thicker and richer sounding, if you want.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Hmmmm...eeeeenteresting.
Right now I have this flashy gold anniversary firebird and I don't want to diddle with it.
I want to flip it and get a standard, then fool with the pickups.
You in?
How about AlNiCo magnets?
I still haven't heard a ceramic pickup that didn't have what I call a sizzle...that I don't like.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I was talking about does use AlNiCo magnets. That's part of the process. More iron to increase inductance in smaller coils and a smoother, warmer sound.

ARandall

Reaction score
Zhangbucker also does a PAF style in a mini size.....with slugs and screws.
Doesn't sound like a full size humbucker though.

TM1

Reaction score
Try and find some of the old off-set poles mini-hums tha Gibson made for Silvertone/Harmony around 1960-63. They are very warm & fat sounding vs.a normal mini, no pole type. I have three of them in my Firebird VII and another in the neck slot of my mahogany Tele that Mike Lipe made me in 1994. In the Tele it sounds more like The neck position of one of my Les Pauls & the Firebird sounds more like an SG.

Latest Threads