Firebird questions — thinking about getting one

Pete M

Reaction score
I TRUST you have gotten a better case for it now? Those original cases were guaranteed to break the peghead, the low E tuning button lays against the bottom of the case and it don't take NOTHING to snap the peghead behind the nut. Seriously. The newer Custom Shop case is much deeper and you can pass your finger under the tuner button with the guitar laying in the case. By the looks of the burst on the back of the peghead, maybe it's already been repaired at least once?

Yep. Headstock was broken off long ago, and I recently did a thread on re-repairing it. and touching up the paintwork. ...and it came with a solid ABS case as well as the deceased/diseased original one.

1musiclover

Reaction score
My father bought me a 1981 Gibson Firebird II Artist CMT with Antique Tobacco Sunburst for a Christmas present in 1981 and I have loved it ever since. I still have the original hard shell case with maroon interior. What is even more of a rarity is it has a "second" stamped on the back side of the headstock .. meaning that there was a flaw in the finish. Although I never really saw anything.
20211015_080659.jpg
20211015_075118.jpg

wmachine

Reaction score
A Firebird is an no-brainer for a Gibson bucket list and I finally bought one when the 2015s were being blown out. Love it for being pleasingly different. Would never be my #1 (if I ever had such a thing), but still a keeper. I wanted nothing less than a finish that shows the work-of-art 9 pc neck thru.

AM-JKLWlACGaygZQsESIwBas3LGbq8napIbOuBbeVwy2TBnVCAfN5cGrNaPQrqttM3MGopUwWPb8Q34OfI4nMmU-5_cHT46d56zdBxybetvGVJIXv8SoI1f58CHR5RZKIGUP_I8NRW-M8b2SYAhJvBjoni9w=w394-h700-no

Then on a whim I bought a new EPI Slash Firebird on closeout. Amazingly good guitar. But it really isn't a Firebird as such. It is a thing of it's own. A real unicorn. Plays great, sounds great. Just don't know what to call it.
Studio pic:

AM-JKLX7nFbGjv7__38UH63ypJCE3KBf2IJvKo9KItJySWUTfqhfMVabTmZIQI3xCUudur4iZT2P5EFXFH1R5lcfNXpqgCQgJuplSTtPXn4DGonMvEGLelTFMstRxzrAwSYKdy-kTdUod-93c_3_SohjuTlb=w1400-h600-no

77custom

Reaction score
I looked at but didn't buy a Firebird 2017 T. It had Steinberger tuners, which is a must have on a Firebird for me. Steinberger tuners appeared in 2016 and 2017 and then went away.
Steinberger era started in 2010, F.Y.I.

afireinside

Reaction score
Had two liked them but sold both. Very long guitars keep clear of hazards! And the neck seems to be far to the left when playing. Feels like you are stretching far for the first few frets.

mdubya

Reaction score
Had two liked them but sold both. Very long guitars keep clear of hazards! And the neck seems to be far to the left when playing. Feels like you are stretching far for the first few frets.

Makes you play them differently.

I view that as a plus. Some may see it in a negative way.

judson

Reaction score
l have said it a ton of times , its just one of those guitars you love it or hate it...not many in between really....

i wasnt comfortable with les pauls back in the day, they were ok but my 72 FB fit like a glove, it had to get sold, got another recently and a few more to keep it company....

hunting down a white one recently, dont need it but just want it if i find one at a reasonable price, cardinal red will work maybe ...they still feel and sound great to me

gotta admit, bought a Zero on a whim and sent it back,

its like the 64 non reverse I have which plays great but the horn sticks into my chest and just feels akward...

i will keep it as standing up playing its fine.....

Murdock33

Reaction score
I just bought one from the Gibson demo/mod shop on Reveb. Its a 2021 model and the bridge was routed for a full humbucker. It has a CS 68 humbucker in the bridge. So far it plays great. I'll admit I cannot hear any differences between the CS 68 pickup and the 61T in my classic. It was listed in fair condition. I don't notice the listed imperfections. Gibson is definitely over critical in the demo/mod shop listings.

image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

mdubya

Reaction score
I just bought one from the Gibson demo/mod shop on Reveb. Its a 2021 model and the bridge was routed for a full humbucker. It has a CS 68 humbucker in the bridge. So far it plays great. I'll admit I cannot hear any differences between the CS 68 pickup and the 61T in my classic. It was listed in fair condition. I don't notice the listed imperfections. Gibson is definitely over critical in the demo/mod shop listings.

View attachment 570406 View attachment 570407 View attachment 570409

That is a beautiful and super cool 'Bird. :dude:

Great setup with the full size 'bucker in the bridge. Do you know if it has the Alnico or ceramic FB mini in the neck position?

That guitar should do it all. :thumb:

Murdock33

Reaction score
That is a beautiful and super cool 'Bird. :dude:

Great setup with the full size 'bucker in the bridge. Do you know if it has the Alnico or ceramic FB mini in the neck position?

That guitar should do it all. :thumb:

Gibson‘s website says Alnico 5 magnet in the neck.

The Jaywalker

Reaction score
Using the hard shell case with FB in it has been described as dragging around your own coffin.
SKB makes a nice, lighter case that is a must-have for your FB if you only have the tote bag.
SKB 1SKB-63 Explorer/Firebird Hardshell Guitar Case

Latest Threads