Firebird pickups that fits in and looks like a p90?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I have a 54 style goldtop copy that I hate the original pickups in. The guitar itself is super resonant and plays well.

I was thinking of putting a firebird in the neck and different p90 in the bridge. Does anyone do a "stealth" firebird pickup that would work in this situation?

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I sort of want to do the reverse of Neil Young with the firebird in the neck. I want it to look cosmetically the same as a P90 though. So I guess the question is if I can fit a firebird pickup under the plastic p90 cover? If that works, I can always add some fake screws. I might ask the Durbano guy and see if I can organize something.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m sure these two pickups are interchangeable, position-wise

Metlking

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan makes a "Humbucker under a P-90 Cover" pickup in their Custom Shop. Not a Firebird pickup but you can choose to have any of their full size humbuckers made this way. For a price!

1632579296563.png

1632579537827.png

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Firebird pickups are held together by their covers. The bobbins and bar magnets aren't attached to the baseplate in any way, they're just sandwiched between the top of the baseplate and bottom of the cover.

So unless you want a covered pickup inside a P90 shell, some re-engineering would be required.

If you could live with an exposed cover, any maker that offers both Firebird and LP Deluxe mini humbuckers can put a Firebird pup in a mini's soapbar mounting ring.

Or you can buy an LP Deluxe ring and put it on any Firebird pup.
---------------------------
Depending on how your stock P90's are mounted, you may need a mounting bracket that screws to the bottom of the pickup cavity also.

Latest Threads