Firebird Owners Thread!

Logan Tyler

Reaction score
Hey, I know that there is a sizeable Firebird community on this site, and there isn't any threads where people show of their Firebirds that are alive and well, so I thought I'd make one!

So to start off, I'll show mine. It's a 2016 Firebird V with Maestro Vibrola in Faded Pelham Blue! It's a proprietary run for the Japanese Domestic Market (at least in the faded Pelham Blue) so I don't know how many got left in the states, but I was lucky enough to go be able to order the last one Gibson had in stock! Talk about luck! She's quite the looker :naughty:

But enough of my 'Bird!
:photos:
I want to see yours! Reverse or Non-Reverse, it doesn't matter! ;)

Attachments

lemmy loud

Reaction score
I dont have a picture, because it is long gone, but I had a white/cream '76 reissue that had gold hardware.
It was a stunning guitar, and Ive never seen another one like it, because it didnt have black on the headstock.
It was the same color white. Gorgeous to look at, but oh my goodness, so heavy it would dislocate your shoulder
after 3 songs. Another one I have no idea why I let it go :(

EDIT: I found one on Reverb!!! woo hoo
https://reverb.com/item/3085250-gibson-firebird-bicentennial-1976?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Another 2016. This thing is great. Just over 7 lbs and perfectly balanced. Only a Faber ABR-N on it so far but I plan on replacing all the electronics once I make up my mind with what to buy.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
This is my 2014. I need to find a good color photo to upload. The previous owner had a local luthier remove the 12th fret anniversary marker and replace it with a normal one. This year also has the output jack on the edge of the body instead of on the front. Love this guitar. It plays great and sounds great. Oh yeah, the previous owner also replaced the bridge pu with an SD Antiquity.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
My 2017 has an aluminum bridge and tailpiece. What is the advantage of aluminum (other that lighter weight) over the usually stock zamak bridge and tailpiece?
Twang! The aluminium TP adds twang in my ears! The ABR-1 too, but I mainly added that for optical reasons :)

JMon

Reaction score
I would love to hear a 2016 side by side to my 2017 so I could hear this elusive aluminum twang for myself. I'm afraid in the time it took to swap them out, I'd forget what the first one sounded like!

gball

Reaction score
I would love to hear a 2016 side by side to my 2017 so I could hear this elusive aluminum twang for myself. I'm afraid in the time it took to swap them out, I'd forget what the first one sounded like!
I've experimented with all of my Gibsons, including my Firebird, and I have come to the conclusion that the aluminum tailpiece only makes a positive difference when paired with steel studs. I am doing this mod on all of them now and they are all sounding better - more open, more balanced tone. The "twanginess" was there with the stock studs and aluminum tailpiece (and I didn't really care for it), but with steel studs it's just smooth and all the strings are very even in output.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
It's been my experience (regarding aluminum talipieces) that it really depends on the guitar. I have 3 Gibson LPs (and 3 Epis, but let's just stick to the Gibsons)... 2 of which have aluminum and one has zinc. On the 2 with aluminum, it was a clear upgrade in tone/sound, but on the other, it just didn't sound as good so I went with an aftermarket zinc tailpiece in nickel (to match the other nickel hardware I'd put on the guitar--got it from PLT). On that guitar, for whatever reason, the aluminum just sounded too thin. Whereas on the other 2 the aluminum did add some clarity and "zing".

My conclusion (based on my 3 LPs) is that it just depends on the guitar. Experiment with both and let your ears be the judge.

Cool thread, btw... and some killer 'Birds! :D

gball

Reaction score
Just got my 'bird back from the shop after getting a fret level and, good god, is it a monster now. Was already one of my favorite guitars, but now its playing as smooth as my LPC and hard to put down.

Latest Threads