Finishing practice on the cheap

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If any of you want to practice your finishing, polishing, finish repair skills, etc, I just want to point out that guitarfetish.com has a huge assortment of factory seconds bodies and necks of several types and they're as cheap as 30 dollars each.

Get a few of their bodies and there's a few cheap projects for you to use to improve your finishing related skills.

I've got a couple coming to me. I look foward to using them to spray out some automotive paint colors I've acquired over the last few years,
and when they're done, if the work is to a high enough standard, I'll be selling off any I don't want to use for myself.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
DSC_7557_sm.jpg

This is a Hamer Steve Stevens model I've been restoring. This shows a really dramatic improvement I've made in my own finishing skills since I've been practicing and...most importantly....reading the manufacturer's instructions, both for the paints and for the spray equipment.

The finish you see here is straight out of the gun, absolutely untouched since spraying and letting it sit for a day. While it's not as perfect as it's going to be after a VERY fast wet sanding process and then polishing, it's as good a wet look out of the gun as I think most people are ever going to get.

This last clearcoat was done as what's called a flow coat. This is when you prepare your second to last coat as if you are going to polish it, complete with clearcoat, but then rather than polish it you spray on another layer of clear coat instead. This layer is reduced with an extra 25 percent reducer or thinner. This way you're applying a thin wet clear coat over what should be a PERFECT foundation.

When your combination of air pressure at the gun when spraying, fan pattern, paint viscosity, spray distance, temperature, transfer rate, painting speed, and overlap are all just right, you can get this kind of smooth wet look gloss, or even better, out of your own sprayer.

This is clear Cardinal nitro lacquer over a fuchsia Axalta Chromasystem basecoat. (Which is compatible with most paint chemistries.) It demonstrates great holdout properties (resistance to shrinkage after the solvents flash off) and is easy to sand and buff. It's good stuff.

Last edited:

cherrick

Reaction score
Les Paul bodies - I had to search for "inlays" to find them.

Latest Threads