Finish Compatibility?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a 2014 Triple Telecaster with standard Mexican made Fender black (I'm assuming some sort of poly-???) finish. The body and finish were perfect, but I have routed it for a Fender tremolo. I was careful to cut the finish at the inner edges of the template with a hot razor knife and any chipping is tiny and minor. There is however a sharp edge where the finish ends and transitions at 90 degrees to wood that seems to just be asking to become large flakes getting caught on things and coming off. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed, without a complete re-finish! I'd like to:
A) Round/Smooth of the rough edges
B) Seal the transition
C) At least "lightly" paint the inside of the routed cavities to "somewhat" match.​
My concerns surround what kind of finish/product I can use that will be compatible and blend in the best. I'm considering first applying a little water thin CA-glue to the seam area, then scrape and sand even, before applying any finish.
All Tips Appreciated,
Gene

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
It IS poly and it's compatible with anything - even nitromors doesn't touch that stuff.
Smooth the edge with a light file, working side to side, so you're not 'pulling' it away from the wood.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Fender trem?

Yes, a Fender trem! Actually a two post for an American Professional with pop-in arm. When set up properly I love the Fender units and absolutely abhor locking tems like the Floyd Rose, etc!
It IS poly and it's compatible with anything - even nitromors doesn't touch that stuff.
Smooth the edge with a light file, working side to side, so you're not 'pulling' it away from the wood.

That's kinda what I figured, but you know how badly assumptions can bite us in the wazoo! I'm kinda curious as to whether I should try to find a great matching product that I do a little intentional overlap spraying and then wet-sand and polish to blend? Or if I should just go to the edges and keep the two different finishes generally separated , except for the rolled over edge? Not a real big deal, as it's on the back of the my own guitar. I am, however, trying to master such operations, as I get requests for work from other folks. If I were doing it for hire, I'd want it to look like it came from the factory that way!

Thank Folks,
Gene

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This ^

You can paint the new cavity with anything you want. Don't even have to be careful about masking the existing poly because it will clean right off afterwards with acetone.

Latest Threads