Finish compatibility question.

45WinMag

Reaction score
I thought the finish gurus here might be able to help with this question.

Not specifically guitar related, but I'm about to hydro dip some stuff and would like to shoot a tinted coat to adjust the color a little. I'm planning to spray the clearcoat that came with the kit, then a tinted coat, then seal it off with another coat of the clearcoat that came with the kit.

Basically, I'm looking for something that I can tint with Transtint or Colortone and sandwich between two layers of the kit's clearcoat.

The kit's clearcoat contains: Ethyl Acetate, Acetone, Propane, PM Acetate, N-Butane.

Anything compatible I can tint and shoot with an airbrush or Preval?

Wallied

Reaction score
Any reason you can't just tint the kit's clear coat, unless of course it's on a rattle can?
The ingredients you listed are just the solvents, which doesn't really tell the type of the clear, which most likely is poly.

The most sensible thing would be to dip a test piece with the same dip (leftovers maybe?) and just do some testing with it.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Any reason you can't just tint the kit's clear coat, unless of course it's on a rattle can?
The ingredients you listed are just the solvents, which doesn't really tell the type of the clear, which most likely is poly.

The most sensible thing would be to dip a test piece with the same dip (leftovers maybe?) and just do some testing with it.
The kit's clear is a rattle can. No other contents listed. The directions say it takes 12-14 days to fully cure. I thought poly was a lot faster than that.

The description on the website (MyDipKit):

Warning: Our clear coat is not your average clear coat available at your local hardware store. Never before has a commercially available aerosol can contained clear coat with precisely the same properties as professional, liquid clear coat that has to be mixed and sprayed with a professional paint gun. Ours does. What this means to you is you can sand it, you can buff it, you can polish it, all just like professional clear coat. Try that with a can of Krylon.​
Is it possible they shipped this with nitro? That would make life easier.

More info on the contents of the kit. They don't specify if this warning is for the grey etching primer, brown base coat, activator, or clearcoat.

PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN HANDLING AND STORAGE. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Vapors will accumulate readily and may ignite explosively. During use and until all vapors are gone: Keep area ventilated – Do not smoke – Extinguish all flames, pilot lights, and heaters – Turn off stoves, electric tools and appliances, and any other sources of ignition. Consult NFPA Code. Use approved Bonding and Grounding procedures. Contents under pressure. Do not puncture, incinerate, or expose to temperature above 120F. Heat from sunlight, radiators, stoves, hot water, and other heat sources could cause container to burst. Do not take internally. Keep out of the reach of children.​

Last edited:

B. Howard

Reaction score
without testing with the actual materials anything is a guess.....

Wallied

Reaction score
Probably not nitro. Most hydro dip clears seem to be acrylic, based on a quick search. May I suggest you approach the manufacturer with the issue over the phone or email? I'd think they'll be happy to help a customer.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Called them this morning. They said it is an automotive urethane. Is that specific enough to find a compatible tintable clear? I'm wondering if I should just the provided clearcoat and just spray a tinted coat of something else. What do any of you guys use with tint, other than nitro?

ARandall

Reaction score
You will have to speak to the maker to find a tinted product, or something compatible.

smk506

Reaction score
Cerakote would probably be comparable with hydro dipping and they make a clear coat. I’ve never done any mixing with it, or anything at all really but I’ve seen it done, maybe give them a call and see if someone there can give you some advice?

paulmarr

Reaction score
I would hydro dip a test piece or two in addition to the stuff and experiment!