Finish Code on 2014 LP Traditional

Reaction score
Hey folks. Lucky enough to just pick up 2014 Traditional - been on the bucket list for a long time. Can anyone help me with the finish/color code? These models came in Heritage Cherry Sunurst and Honey Burst. It looks like Heritage Cherry but the finish code is HY. It shows HY in the neck pickup cavity and the Model No. on the card reads LPTD 14 HY CH1. So is HY for honey or heritage cherry?

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Lucky enough to just pick up 2014 Traditional - been on the bucket list for a long time. Can anyone help me with the finish/color code? These models came in Heritage Cherry Sunurst and Honey Burst. It looks like Heritage Cherry but the finish code is HY. It shows HY in the neck pickup cavity and the Model No. on the card reads LPTD 14 HY CH1. So is HY for honey or heritage cherry?
All the information you need is here! Gibson Traditional website - created by @Oleynior , I think?

Specifically 2014 model, and yes
  • LPTD14HYCH1 ( Honey Burst )

Last edited:

pillbug

Reaction score
HY = Honey burst
CH = Chrome Hardware
1= I think means it’s not a factory 2nd ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
1 - Copy - custom.jpg

Reaction score
So, personal preference is I prefer nickel hardware and ABR bridges - aluminium tail piece too. Don't like speed knobs on a traditional so swapped them out too. Strap buttons swapped for vintage. SD Antiquities for the tone and looks - I have the original 59' Tributes safely tucked away. I'd love to use them but not sure I want to swap the covers on them - rather keep as original. Nice dark RW board on this one. Good weight (in my view) at 4.2kgs for a non weight relieved body. Neck profile on these is amazing and this is no exception - not too dissimilar to my 2019 50's so great work Gibson opn getting the new generation right!

Can't see much honey though??? How does it look to you guys?

Brilliant link too LPTDMSV - thanks for that.

Last edited:

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, personal preference is I prefer nickel hardware and ABR bridges - aluminium tail piece too.

Can't see much honey though??? How does it look to you guys?

Brilliant link too LPTDMSV - thanks for that.
Well you really got lucky (or chose well) with the wood on that guitar, very nice flame top and fretboard. Yep the great thing about these Traditionals is that you can get a really good basic guitar for a moderate price, and then it's easy (and not too expensive) to upgrade or change the appearance/tone by switching out bits of hardware - pretty much what I did too.

Definitely HB, it's a perimeter/rim "burst" as opposed to the violin/teardrop "heritage" spray pattern. My guide to the colour names:

Honey = Light Brown
Tobacco = Dark Brown
Cherry = Red with a hint of Brown

:D

That website is a great resource, all thanks to @Oleynior

Reaction score
Thanks again @LPTDMSV. I got lucky - not many 2014 Trad's come up for sale in Australia - I've had my eyes fairly open looking for a long time. Seen a couple of the blue ones but not the more traditional Honey/Cherry finishes. I remember checking one out brand new in mid 2014 and it's haunted me ever since that I didn't buy it. I remember it having a very dry, scaly and pale fretboard though. This one has darkened up from being used.

Gotcha re the perimeter burst - I really like it. Looks just like a tradional burst should to my eyes. You're right about these models being a fantastic mod platform. All completely reversible. I'll put all the chrome gear in the case and enjoy it the why I like it while it's mine - hopefully for a long time!

Those Tribute pups will be eating at me though! To change the covers or not? Reckon I'll do it one day!

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Congratulations, very nice. I bought mine in November 2014, Heritage Cherry SB. I very much agree with the many positive attributes of this model. Mine is still stock - I really like the 59 Trib. pups, but the ones you changed to would seem to be a great match. I hope you enjoy it for many years!

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Tribute pups will be eating at me though! To change the covers or not? Reckon I'll do it one day!
Did you play with them much before you swapped them out? If you really liked the sound, I wouldn't worry too much about changing to nickel covers - the covers are not too expensive, the pickups aren't especially valuable, 10 minutes with a Stanley knife and a 50W soldering iron and you're done!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you play with them much before you swapped them out? If you really liked the sound, I wouldn't worry too much about changing to nickel covers - the covers are not too expensive, the pickups aren't especially valuable, 10 minutes with a Stanley knife and a 50W soldering iron and you're done!
Nope. The guitar was pretty filthy when I got it and I was pretty eager to strip it out and clean it up. The cigarette gunge is gone and the smell is almost gone too! Good advice re the value of the pickups - might just go ahead and do it so I can enjoy them, Cheers.

Latest Threads