Finish checking - Temperature

BluesZep

Reaction score
Hello!
I was reading about finish checking in some threads, and I have a question.

When you guys talk about temperature variation checking guitar finishes, how big is this variation?

I live in Brazil, and in winter, the temperature in my city varies from 8 °C (at night) to 30 °C (during the day). I use to keep my guitar out of hardcase, and I'd like to know if this temperature variation can affect the guitar finish.

Thanks in advance

gabrielnoel

Reaction score
Well is the same temperature that is in my town, i´ve never had issues with checking, what i do at night is put the guitar in the case...

loaded six string

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hello!

When you guys talk about temperature variation checking guitar finishes, how big is this variation?

I live in Brazil, and in winter, the temperature in my city varies from 8 °C (at night) to 30 °C (during the day). I use to keep my guitar out of hardcase, and I'd like to know if this temperature variation can affect the guitar finish.

Thanks in advance
Well, what can happen is a unique phenomenon called Brazilian temperature frunkis flatulation, where a guitar can and most times will actually turn purple and start to squeak very badly when you pick it up, usually when it is unplugged. This only happens in the southern provinces of Brazil and usually when the temperature varies between 8 c at night and 30 c during the day.:wave:

alexx

Reaction score
Well, what can happen is a unique phenomenon called Brazilian temperature frunkis flatulation, where a guitar can and most times will actually turn purple and start to squeak very badly when you pick it up, usually when it is unplugged. This only happens in the southern provinces of Brazil and usually when the temperature varies between 8 c at night and 30 c during the day.:wave:
Is it supposed to be funny?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
A 22°C change in temperature would be enough for me to keep it in the case when not in use...but then again, it is a gradual change. It's not like the guitar is going from a 30° environment into an 8° environment instantly.

Sorry, I'm of no help on this one.

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Thanks in advance
it could affect the finish,but there are a lot of variables involved,including sudden temperature and humidity changes,type of finish,etc...

BluesZep

Reaction score
:applause:

BluesZep

Reaction score
A 22°C change in temperature would be enough for me to keep it in the case when not in use...but then again, it is a gradual change. It's not like the guitar is going from a 30° environment into an 8° environment instantly.

Sorry, I'm of no help on this one.

Mike60 said:
it could affect the finish,but there are a lot of variables involved,including sudden temperature and humidity changes,type of finish,etc...
Yes, I think you guys are right. It's a gradual change, but it's better to put in case after use it.

Thanks!

Csharp

Reaction score
The cause is usually 'thermal shock'. I remember looking at a brand new 20th anniversary Les Paul at a mall music (piano) store. The entire guitar was checked. When I asked the salesman what had happened to it, he said "The new guy couldn't wait to see it". It was about 20F outside when the truck delivered the latest Gibsons, and new guy unpacked the most expensive one and put it straight out on the wall for all to see.

The wood and the finish expand at different rates, so as long as temperature changes are gradual, checking shouldn't be a problem. My Standard is 33ish years old and has no finish flaws.

Belzeebub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, look at it this way, if youre finish has already started to check, good news! Look like your guitar is starting to get some serious mojo like those seen on far more expensive aged guitars or ultra rare and expensive '58s.

Belzeebub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But, please do keep it in its case when not in use. I immediately put it into the case after using (ofc after a thorough wipe down).

Lester B. Flat

Reaction score
I don't think that's enough of a temperature variation to cause a guitar to check and the low temperature is still well above freezing. My guitar checked after being chilled to -10F and then suddenly exposed to room temperature. OOPS!

Latest Threads