Fingertips kind of sticking to fretboard

anorton

Reaction score
Hi folks, sorry if the title is confusing. Lately, when I'm playing my LP, my fingers are slightly sticking to the fretboard when I'm doing vibrato. It's not a major problem with the notes, but I can hear my fingers rubbing against the neck through the amp. I've never experienced this before with any other guitar and have been playing for 40 years. I have other rosewood boards on which this doesn't happen.

The guitar in question is a 2019 LP Traditional and hadn't noticed this happening until after putting Fret Doctor on the board. I've only put it on 2x since getting the guitar about a year and half ago.

Is there another product that people have used for making a rosewood fretboard a little slicker without worrying about the finish?

Phusion974

Reaction score
Could you provide a pic of your fretboard?
Been using fretdoctor for a few years but never had a problem like you are describing.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Love Fret Dr.!

For your issue, some Finger Ease should do the trick.

I use this as well as Fret Dr. Makes the neck and fret board lightning fast!

image0.jpeg

moreles

Reaction score
Don't use Finger-Ease unless they've finally changed the formula to get rid of silicones. I would clean the fretboard with naptha to get rid of whatever is sticky. The only way a good conditioner gets sticky is if it's sitting on the surface rather than being absorbed. I assume you've washed you hands and that it's not hot fudge or honey...wing sauce...

workerunit

Reaction score
I clean my rosewood and ebony fret boards occasionally with Windex and a toothbrush and then treat them with Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner. It works fine for me. Of course some will recoil in horror......

ARandall

Reaction score
It's not often you get noise of fingers on board coming through an amp. But often you get the scraping of strings over rough frets doing it.

PierM

Reaction score
This is why I always suggest to leave the damn fretboard alone.

I had this feeling (your description totally match it), that time that a tech cleaned one of my guitar's fretboard with a product to clean and protect wood, with siccative (which means does contain catalyzers) proprieties. Fretboard looked great, dark and shine, but horrible feeling, like when you rub your fingers on a piece of glass, or a piece of brand new furniture. My fingertips get stuck while moving along the fretboard, horrible feeling.

To fix that crap I had to use the finest micromesh I had in house (I think it was a green 4000grit), then put few drops of mineral oil. I DO NOT suggest to use naphtha on a rosewood board, as does really make it super dry, and if you have a layer of catalyzed stuff, naphtha is doing nothing to it.

So in my case was basically that catalyzed layer of "Pronto" (the name of that product) on top of the natural wood pores.

I never used fret doctor so I can't say what it does, but from the sound of your description, seems did the same crap to your guitar.

grumphh

Reaction score
You guys and all your chemical products to "protect" something that doesn't need protection at all :D

We are talking tropical rainforest hardwoods, those are inherently resilient and will outlast you if you just clean them with a toothbrush and water when the gunk buildup is to gross to look at.

Yes, water.
Tropical hardwood, remember? Those trees grew under some of the worlds wettest conditions, a little water here and there isn't going to faze them.

...oh no! Marketing says it's going to be ruined if i don't buy special sauce products!!!

PierM

Reaction score
Finger ease it's just another product you should not spray on any fretboard....It's silicon based and, AGAIN, it will seal the rosewood pores... please stop suggesting people how to ruin their guitars....:(

Daniel.S

Reaction score
You guys and all your chemical products to "protect" something that doesn't need protection at all :D

We are talking tropical rainforest hardwoods, those are inherently resilient and will outlast you if you just clean them with a toothbrush and water when the gunk buildup is to gross to look at.

Yes, water.
Tropical hardwood, remember? Those trees grew under some of the worlds wettest conditions, a little water here and there isn't going to faze them.

...oh no! Marketing says it's going to be ruined if i don't buy special sauce products!!!
This is correct. Just use water and you won’t have any problems.
Obviously don’t drench the fingerboard. Be smart.

dspelman

Reaction score
I clean my rosewood and ebony fret boards occasionally with Windex and a toothbrush and then treat them with Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner. It works fine for me. Of course some will recoil in horror......
The Block Conditioner is just mineral oil, which is perfect for your fretboard. Wipe a little bit on, wipe it all off a few minutes later. I'm not sure about the Windex, but if you're good with it, fine.

I'm not a fan of things that can leave a sticky mess behind, like linseed oil or the like. And I don't get why people pay for Fret Doctor. It does nothing for the wood (which really doesn't need "conditioning" at all except for cosmetics) , but it does line the pockets of the guy who sells it.

dspelman

Reaction score
Hi folks, sorry if the title is confusing. Lately, when I'm playing my LP, my fingers are slightly sticking to the fretboard when I'm doing vibrato.

The guitar in question is a 2019 LP Traditional and hadn't noticed this happening until after putting Fret Doctor on the board.
Fret Doctor makes your fretboard look prettier. But you don't want to apply it and allow it to "soak in." If you MUST use that stuff, wipe a tiny bit on and then wipe it all off a few minutes later. Mineral Oil is about eleven bucks a *gallon* and will last you and the rest of the guitar players in your neighborhood forever. Fret Doctor is about 12 bucks for a couple of ounces, and with 128 ounces in a gallon, do the math on how much the seller is making per gallon.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Before Gorgomyte cleaning:
IMG_0658.jpg

After:
IMG_0662.jpg

Before:
IMG_0657.jpg

After:

IMG_0659.jpg

Frets polished, fingerboard deep-cleaned, no goo, no stick, no taping off the fretboard.

Oh, and the dirty gorgomyte squares after

IMG_0663.jpg

Latest Threads