Fingerboard Width

letsgoaz

Reaction score
Hello All,

Are the fingerboards on the Custom Shop historic models narrower than the standard line up?

Here are a few close ups. It looks like the modern neck has a little more to it.
I noticed the high E string slipped off on the two 63 335 reissues I tried.

Attachments

ARandall

Reaction score
Don't confuse nut slotting and neck width. If you slot too close to the edge then you will fall off no matter how wide the neck is.
Although there was a period in the 60s where the Gibson's did end up with narrower necks, I don't think any RI is from that period.

The Gibson website should have nut widths if you are curious about it.

DonP

Reaction score
Measure. I never noticed this myself going from RI's to standards and back again. But i suppose it is possible.

Standard guitars get F-Spaced bridge pickups (depending on the guitar). So the slots in the bridge are spaced slightly wider. Possible they might make the neck slightly wider, or just the wider binding on standards makes the neck wider?

dspelman

Reaction score
Don't speculate. Measure. And while you're at it, measure the string spacing. And while you're at that, look at the amount of neck width taken up by "nibs."

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s talking about FB + binding thickness, and yes, historics are around 1.687” at the nut and 2.24” at the end of the FB, while USA models are 1.695” at the nut and 2.260” at the end, because of the much thicker binding. Strings snapping that’s more about string spacing and nut (and because of nibs)...