Fingerboard R9 2010

regool

Reaction score
Hello, friends! A wonderful instrument 2010 GIBSON LES PAUL R9 CUSTOM SHOP 1959 REISSUE came to me. Which is not the usual overlay fingerboard . Lemon oil does not absorb at all, when processed. And the structure of the tree is very different from Indian rosewood. Help me figure it out!

Attachments

Last edited:

regool

Reaction score
Here is a 2016 guitar where the certificate says it is Brazilian rosewood, below is a photo of my guitar. But I don’t see much difference?

Attachments

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Your 2010 and 2016s do not have Brazilian unless you had the fretboards replaced. Madagascar or Indian.

regool

Reaction score

Attachments

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
That 2010 has an Indian Rosewood board. I’ve seen plenty like that with the reddish streaks. Gibson went back to Indian rosewood in 2009.

regool

Reaction score
Maybe they messed something up? For the first time with such a pad The pores of the tree are confusing, they are different.. If you don't know what is 2010?

Attachments

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
A word about your end grain picture....It important to note that the end grain cant be seen unless you take the nut off. The pics you posted are magnified ....so your would need to put some magnification on that end grain in order to compare.

But as it is, its 98% certain its Indian .....3% possibly Madagascar ....and .001% its Brazilian.....and only because one cant be absolutely certain.

There is a way to tell but its a destructive test....if you found the end grain photos....you probably found the test

regool

Reaction score
Thanks friends:dude: Lemon oil does not absorb into this pickguard at all, unlike other guitars Gibson Les Paul. Thin layer. It can dry for a day, two, three, but the layer remains only after complete cleaning Dunlop 01 can the oil layer be removed. Given that I live in a very hot climate.On Indian rosewood, this was not. 30-40 minutes and it was absorbed.This aroused my suspicions.
Indian, so let it be Indian.

Attachments

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Every piece of wood is different, so merely saying one bit of wood does this therefore another must do exactly the same is poor application of logic.
Someone could have had the fretboard coated with Truoil, and as that provides somewhat of a permanent finish which darkens the appearance and makes all colours richer, this possibility too would explain your circumstances.

The pores of your fretboard align to Indian.

Latest Threads