Fingerboard conditioning

speyfly

Reaction score
Having read a bunch about dry fingerboards on new Les Paul's I thought I would share this you you guys.

For years I've used all kinds of oils from mineral to boiled linseed and while almost anything with an oil base will work this is what I started using years ago. I had picked this up at my local hardware store to condition a large free-standing butcherblock top center cabinet in my home. This stuff is great for conditioning anything wood and it works exceptionally well on guitar fingerboards.

howard_butcher_block_600x.jpg

workerunit

Reaction score
That is exactly the same stuff I use on fingerboards, it is awesome stuff. Just give it a day or two to dry after you wipe it off the fretboard before stringing.

speyfly

Reaction score
Sorta looks like Ducks Axwax
View attachment 534212

Yeah, that stuff looks pretty good too. There are a lot of recipes for home brew wood conditioning, wood butter is another but I find it to be too thick, not enough penetration without the mineral oil binder. Some are using coconut oil as the base, makes your guitar neck smell really good o_O.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Yeah, that stuff looks pretty good too. There are a lot of recipes for home brew wood conditioning, wood butter is another but I find it to be too thick, not enough penetration without the mineral oil binder. Some are using coconut oil as the base, makes your guitar neck smell really good o_O.
Yep, beeswax and mineral oil, boil and mix. Makes a great finish, I made a thread about it here a while back. There are a couple of companies that sell it for like 90 bucks for a small jar....Insane. You can mix it at home yourself. But thats more of a finish than a conditioner. It's an alternative to just oiling or waxing. Really makes a good figured wood to pop.

If coconut butter wasn't so damn expensive here I'd try it, sounds like it would smell great.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use big bends fretboard juice.

View attachment 534352
Save yourself some money and get plain mineral oil from the Grocery store. That's all this is. I'm surprised they can sell this with a straight face.

$21.28 for 8 oz.?!?!?!?!?!

I just bought 16 oz. of the same stuff for $2.99.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I mix a little Carnauba wax in my mineral oil, but not much. Hey, guys, the more you play that thing, the more "oiled" :) it gets.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I mean, have you ever noticed how an often-played Gibby FB gets lighter colored the closer to the body it gets? And it doesn't take that long, either.

BKS

Reaction score
Fretboard aroma therapy with Duesenberg fingerboard lotion....
Conditioning the board and relaxing for you at the same time.... containing rosemary and lavender oils :thumbs:

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being new to the board conditioning game, I am amazed at how many companies are selling grocery store mineral oil for 10-12 times the price.

Big Bends? Straight mineral oil.

F-One? Straight mineral oil.

I looked at a few other big names as well. All garden variety mineral oil. Am I missing something?

truckermde

Reaction score
Being new to the board conditioning game, I am amazed at how many companies are selling grocery store mineral oil for 10-12 times the price.

I looked at a few other big names as well. All garden variety mineral oil. Am I missing something?
Nope.

That's a popular American business model. Repackage and relabel. Increase price exponentially.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Get a "celebrity" to say how awesome it is.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

I bought a bottle of Weimans about 10 years ago. I still have over half, and that includes my missus using it. $5.99 at the hardware store, for a 1/2 litre.

Mesamay2003

Reaction score

I don't know about Big Bends (I do use nut sauce), but F-One claims to be made from a refined mixture of tree and seed oils, yet mineral oil is a distillation product of petroleum??

Latest Threads