Finally tried a DiMarzio Super Distortion…

stephen78

Reaction score
Not what I expected at all! I guess it’s a classic for a reason!

I’ve always been intrigued by this pickup, but I was scared to pull the trigger. Going by specs alone…way too hot for me and I don’t like ceramic magnet pickups.

But after reading so much about it I came to the conclusion that I really shouldn’t judge this one on the specs alone. Especially this classic pickup.

Installed it in my 2008 LP Traditional today. Hot damn…this pickup is just awesome. I can’t even tell it’s a ceramic magnet pickup. It sure doesn’t play like other ceramic magnet pickups I’ve played in the past. Doesn’t sound harsh in the high end at all. This pickup is fat and just sings! It really is all those classic rock/hard rock/early metal tones we all know and love. I can’t believe I waited this long to try it! Actually I take that back. I can believe I waited this long to try it because my Traditional was my only LP up until recently…and I always aimed for lower output versatile PAF-ish bridge pickups to cover all styles. But now that I have my R9, I can keep that one for my classic tones and my Trad can be the balls out rock guitar.

If anyone is on the fence about this pickup like I was, give it a try!

Reaction score
I have a Super distortion on a partcaster and it really kicks ass !!!
I still don't dare to put one on the bridge of my Classic, since it has the C57, but sometimes I miss that roar of the S.Distortion, maybe in the not too distant future ...

JMP

Reaction score
Not what I expected at all! I guess it’s a classic for a reason!

I’ve always been intrigued by this pickup, but I was scared to pull the trigger. Going by specs alone…way too hot for me and I don’t like ceramic magnet pickups.

But after reading so much about it I came to the conclusion that I really shouldn’t judge this one on the specs alone. Especially this classic pickup.

Installed it in my 2008 LP Traditional today. Hot damn…this pickup is just awesome. I can’t even tell it’s a ceramic magnet pickup. It sure doesn’t play like other ceramic magnet pickups I’ve played in the past. Doesn’t sound harsh in the high end at all. This pickup is fat and just sings! It really is all those classic rock/hard rock/early metal tones we all know and love. I can’t believe I waited this long to try it! Actually I take that back. I can believe I waited this long to try it because my Traditional was my only LP up until recently…and I always aimed for lower output versatile PAF-ish bridge pickups to cover all styles. But now that I have my R9, I can keep that one for my classic tones and my Trad can be the balls out rock guitar.

If anyone is on the fence about this pickup like I was, give it a try!
Awesome write up. I’m intrigued.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I just finished "restoring" 2 very old SDs that were gifted to me by a forum member.
One measures at 13,2kOhm, the other 14,40kOhm.
The higher resistance one is extremely worn from play wear, which may indicate that it's killer

I've wired them up as Dual Sounds, so they can be split.

Question is what to out them in...???

R7BB? B.C. Rico Mockingbird? Korina Explorer?

I've already got 2 guitars with SDs, an aluminium neck Kramer DMZ2000 and a Dave Murray Strat.

Thoughts?

Es

jbash

Reaction score
Question is what to out them in...???

R7BB? B.C. Rico Mockingbird? Korina Explorer?

I don't feel they sound good in dark/warm/midrangey guitars. So whatever is clearest/brightest would be my choice.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I don't feel they sound good in dark/warm/midrangey guitars. So whatever is clearest/brightest would be my choice.
I'll probably dit them to the Mockingbird then.
That has Fuelie PAFs in it, a d those might be interesting in the R7BB!

Cheers

David Garner

Reaction score
I had the same journey. Avoided them for years. Now I have one in my 93 Standard that is going nowhere. It cleans up with the volume knob and is absolutely not just for 80s metal.

We did this original song at a gig on the 12th and it’s just a Super D into the blue channel on a 5150iii (also not just for metal). No pedals. Just the volume knob to control gain levels.

The outro solo is the neck pickup, a 36th Anniversary PAF, into the same amp settings, but with a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver for a boost.

JMP

Reaction score
I had the same journey. Avoided them for years. Now I have one in my 93 Standard that is going nowhere. It cleans up with the volume knob and is absolutely not just for 80s metal.

We did this original song at a gig on the 12th and it’s just a Super D into the blue channel on a 5150iii (also not just for metal). No pedals. Just the volume knob to control gain levels.

The outro solo is the neck pickup, a 36th Anniversary PAF, into the same amp settings, but with a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver for a boost.

Thanks for posting the video! Great song.

hamerfan

Reaction score
I'll probably dit them to the Mockingbird then.
That has Fuelie PAFs in it, a d those might be interesting in the R7BB!

Cheers

If you ever feel ready to part with the Fuelies (Plain Janes ?), ask me first. Kevin’s pickups were on my list when he stopped winding. Just sayin….

Last edited:

The_Nuge

Reaction score
If you ever feel ready to part with the Fuelies (Plain Janes ?), ask me first. Kevin’s pickups were on my list when he stopped winding. Just sayin….
I think mine are Custom Pro Mods. Don't think I'll be selling them, but if I do, you'll have first dibs!

Latest Threads