Finally stopped procrastinating .....(c-19)

scrumm21

Reaction score
DSL 40c was sounding 'off' recently, esp at higher gain, so finally opened her up a week ago.
First checked Bias, for the first time, ...was up around 44 / 45 ( Plate voltage was\is 460 )
Adjusted and settled in at 36.5 both sides
Figured while I was at it I might as well do the C-19 snip.

Wish I hadn't waited so long
(being recently retired I now have No excuses lol )

First off after plugging back up sounded much better on Green channel at higher gain setting

Have played the Red channel more in the last week then the last 3 years combined.

Better late than never eh

....now to figure out Ableton ( just got a focusrite scarlett 2i2 )

dsl 40 open.jpg

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
DSL 40c was sounding 'off' recently, esp at higher gain, so finally opened her up a week ago.
First checked Bias...was up around 44 / 45 ( Plate voltage was\is 460 )
Adjusted and settled in at 36.5 both sides
Figured while I was at it I might as well do the C-19 snip.

Wish I hadn't waited so long
(being recently retired I now have No excuses lol )

First off after plugging back up sounded much better on Green channel at higher gain setting

Have played the Red channel more in the last week then the last 3 years combined.

Better late than never eh

....now to figure out Ableton ( just got a focusrite scarlett 2i2 )

View attachment 505658
when i learned to do my work on tubes amps( late 90's) i never looked back.amazing the tones you can coax out of these beauties with some simple things,like bias,resisistor swaps,transformer changes...and more.

One of the neatest things i learned,back then(i lived then in a house built in the 30's) was how much my bias changed when the dryer kicked in,or when the line voltage jumped. worth benchmarking your incoming line when you set your bias...it can change.
Plus the fun of knowing how it all works.Carry on!:cool2:

I currently run all my vintage amps on reduced line voltage feed,because of their age.

Latest Threads