finally put my new pickups in

yautja

Reaction score
hello folks,
i have a lp custom 1979-80.
i had the original pickup in the neck and a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge.
i installed a pair of prs santana zebra coils and what a difference.
it still has that warm and toney gibson sound but it now has heaps more mids and trebles and it sustains forever now.
i have played a santana II and the only thing i didnt like was the body was too small and too light (im 6 ft 2 in in height) , but i think the pickups sound much better in the les paul as the body is much thicker and and larger in the lp than the prs.
i think they suit the les paul well.
i would put up photos but they are huge and i dont know how to make them smaller, any help would be great.

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hello folks,
i have a lp custom 1979-80.
i had the original pickup in the neck and a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge.
i installed a pair of prs santana zebra coils and what a difference.
it still has that warm and toney gibson sound but it now has heaps more mids and trebles and it sustains forever now.
i have played a santana II and the only thing i didnt like was the body was too small and too light (im 6 ft 2 in in height) , but i think the pickups sound much better in the les paul as the body is much thicker and and larger in the lp than the prs.
i think they suit the les paul well.
i would put up photos but they are huge and i dont know how to make them smaller, any help would be great.

its easy just go into paint (couldn't be any easer) go into edit, paste from then find the pic then go to edit again and click select all then go to the bottom right hand corner of the pic and click the corner and drag it to the size you want save the pic and post it.

easy :) can't wait to see the pic's

huge pic's are fine with me but i dunno what the rules are regarding pic size.

better ask flickoflash.

MIDNIGHT

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well congrats on achieving your new sound :wave:

:thumb:

:hippie:

yautja

Reaction score
my sister shrank some pics for me,
i'll try to attach a pic now.

you will notice that the top pickup ring is broken, the problem is that i want to order a new one from gibson but i dont think it will fit, i bought an original gibson scratch plate for it and it didnt fit, so i am weary about buying a new pickup ring.
can anyone please measure their pickup ring and post the sizes ?
especially the screw holes.

thanks.

Attachments

yautja

Reaction score
here are some more pics,
some are taken before i put the pickups in, it had an original pickup in the neck and a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge.

the last pic is a close up of the top, you will see the grain goes vertical instead of horizontal like all the les pauls ive seen here.

sorry about the poor quality of the pics but i took them with my super crappy motorola razor phone. (these phones suck bad)

i will try and take some with my sisters camera.

Attachments

5F6-A

Reaction score
it looks much better with the zebras ... that DiMarzio looked plain ugly to me...

yautja

Reaction score
yea it definatley looks better with the zebra's.
the dimarzio looked sort of plain.

Latest Threads