Finally my daughter plays with the 100th Anniv. Les Paul Custom Pro!

pangpang

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here. I have always been a big fan of Les Pauls and it was like a dream to me when i was a very young kid in the 80s. It was simply not available in my city. A few years ago, I finally pulled the trigger and got my first Les Paul, not a Gibson one, but an Epiphone. The Gibson ones are nice ofc, but kind of too excessive. The Epi Les Paul was actually not for me, but for my then 7 year old daughter Mina. It was her surprise birthday present. I had never really gotten her anything nice before. Mina was already playing a bit of the guitar (cos she wanted to jam with dad) so I thought i would try to get her something nice which I couldn't afford when i was a kid. And I thought a nice guitar like this, she can keep it for a very very long time. Believe it or not, she played like one song with it (learned one song to play for mommy, I think it was Fly me to the Moon) and that's it. Ofc, everyone was saying I was dumb and wasted my money and all. She didn't say she didn't like it, but she seldom used it, and only commented it smelled really nice. It was supposed to be her first nice guitar of her own. So i was...hmm...I guess it was okay, and I was borrowing it from her often, and told her this, "one day in the future, you will know why I got you a Les Paul". She thought it was French and even called it "Le Paul"...

And at the end of this recent August, before school started again, Mina suddenly told me now she loves the sound so much, and likes how it plays. She says she likes it too much!!! It was the weight perhaps (really heavy, and i have played many Epi Les paul, and this is by far the most solid and heaviest), the neck was kinda thick for her little hand comparing to a Ibanez or a Tele neck (but now she tells me she knows why it is THICKER and she likes it that way as she says she needs to do more stuff on the fretboard and it's easier for her...what??! Thicker neck and easier for her little hand to play?!?!?), I thought it was the single cut (but it wasn't it), and I thought it was the neck pickup (now she tells me she digs the neck pickup sound tooo much. She never used the neck pickup). Well, it was none of the above. I am just glad. i am glad she finally likes it for real, and can tell me why she likes it, and is making good use of it and plays with it very often now.

I still borrow it though, and I am truly happy she finally likes it and knows why she should. Hope you enjoy the video and hope you like her solo too. Cheers!

Ray ;-)

Attachments

• 20200918_000644_resized.jpg
    20200918_000644_resized.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 82

fry

Reaction score
That was fantastic! I was literally sitting here pumping my fist in the air, really brought a smile to my face. It’s a great guitar, and she did an awesome job. She has a real future!

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soloing and singing.

Thats not easy.

Good for her!!!!!!!!

(Good for both your girls and yourself)

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
that is awesome man!! i have a six yr old daughter and hope to get her into music at a young age. i bought a lp special 1 with the p90's for her first guitar ( which i wind up using for now ) i can only hope my child takes a liking to the guitar like ur child has... good post man made my day too...

SloMoTX

Reaction score
Easy to see you are a great dad and have a great family. Teaching our children about family and love is our main job in life. Good for you my friend.

pangpang

Reaction score
That was fantastic! I was literally sitting here pumping my fist in the air, really brought a smile to my face. It’s a great guitar, and she did an awesome job. She has a real future!
I have just been hoping she'd jam with dad cos I don't have very many friends around that could jam with me...so i am quite grateful ;-)

pangpang

Reaction score
Soloing and singing.

Thats not easy.

Good for her!!!!!!!!

(Good for both your girls and yourself)

Thank you. I told her the same. I tried it myself but it was hard....yet for some reasons, it seems easier for little kids. She seems to be able to do this for quite a few tunes and i ask her always, "how did you do that?" So i try to encourage her to do more (sing and solo at the same time), hoping that perhaps it'd stimulate some hidden or dormant functions of the brain. I tell her perhaps she could get night vision one day ;p hahaha

Last edited:

Elmore

Reaction score
That rocked. She has a lot of talent. So cool to see a young kid playing and singing that. Good one.

pangpang

Reaction score
Easy to see you are a great dad and have a great family. Teaching our children about family and love is our main job in life. Good for you my friend.
Thx! We all know kids grow up fast so i am merely trying to do as much as I can while it's still possible. The 11 year old bass player's dad likes the idea so Mina teachers her, and I teach her dad a bit so they can jam at home too. ;-)

pangpang

Reaction score
That rocked. She has a lot of talent. So cool to see a young kid playing and singing that. Good one.
Thank you. I believe she is also one of the youngest Les paul fans around here...

pangpang

Reaction score
How about one more video for the weekend from the end of summer jam series...

But for this one, both my kid Mina and her friend Twinkle (bass player) refused to sing this song (altho they can too), and forced me to do so. They find the lyrics too PG-rated and my wife was only so so ok that I made the girls jam this song with me. We always played surf songs (The Ventures) usually but it was about time for her to move on. In this video, all licks and solo, outro she did, after shooting the footage, i asked her this, "where did all that come from?!" a large % was improvising and I only mentioned it a while back ago once and said, "Mina, one of these days, you gotta start doing some improvising stuff and need to know well the scales and many notes on the fretboard". She asked me how. I didn't really know how to answer or teach her. So i asked her to play Hendrix's songs. She didn't like hendrix too much at the beginning cos his stuff was a bit unorthodox to her (to me too) but after Hey Joe and Voodoo Child, she totally digs it, as I can't teach her no more what she needs, yet old Hendrix still can!!! That was like at the end of July. And the solo and licks she did in this footage, she followed the chord embellishments and just fired away. I was quite shocked. Mina commented and said, "Jimi played it differently everytime too!". Hope you like this video too....

Oh, she wasn't using the Les Paul this time cos she needed to use the whammy bar for the Hendrix songs, and the Schecter has guage 0.09 high E which was easier for her to bend so she didn't use her Strat either, which has gauge 0.11 on. We were both quite happy with the sound the lower strings of the Schecter produce though for the Hendrix songs....it sounded rich and right live. Cheers!

Ray

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Who

pangpang

Reaction score
that is awesome man!! i have a six yr old daughter and hope to get her into music at a young age. i bought a lp special 1 with the p90's for her first guitar ( which i wind up using for now ) i can only hope my child takes a liking to the guitar like ur child has... good post man made my day too...

Like I said, she played 1 song only with "her" Les Paul 3 years ago until recently!!! But we didn't start with G N R. Mina started with...hmm....SURF music. You might want to consider trying those with your daughter too. ;-) We still do a lot of surf tunes when we gig outside, yet it was time for her to try other stuff. Surf most def. gave her a solid foundation and picking up 80's rock and metal became not as difficult later on. cheers!

fry

Reaction score
Hendrix too?? Love it! I have two sons, 20 and 23. This is what I hoped for them to do, but it never happened.

pangpang

Reaction score
Hendrix too?? Love it! I have two sons, 20 and 23. This is what I hoped for them to do, but it never happened.
It's never too late. I had stopped for 30 years before I picked it back up again. ;-)

rbraad68

Reaction score
thats totally awesome man ! ur a good dad and looks like u were able to pass the gift of playing music to her. now it's up to her to carry on and develpoe into her own. her friend twinkle looks like she's doing well too..

pangpang

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, beautiful story, beautiful family. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! And no one picks on her at school no more and everyone wants to be friends with her after she played 1 time at school (with me too, Hotel California, Let it be, We are the Champion and You give love a bad name). Ofc, she is very humble and almost no one at school knew she could jam like that. There is actually another reason why we play the guitar and I help some parents and other kids who like why we do it. I wanted them to know if we put down the smartphone (at least cut down), there are other interesting things we can do. Oh brother, I don't know what it is like in other parts of the world, but around where I live, and all nearby cities, it is like the new opium. So that's why we keep playing... ;-)

Latest Threads