Finally! Murphy Lab Ugly Headstock Repair model

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i know im an unwashed heathen,but i prefer my 2017 GT tribute...and it only weighs 8 pounds.

rdr58

Reaction score
I wonder who got to step on the neck of that SG. That is some crazy **** there

kewl kat

Reaction score
The guitar in the OP was sold as used. Gibson did not break that headstock. It probably broke while being shipped to a customer. They took it back, fixed it (left it ugly intentionally?), and sold it as used.

If it broke during shipping, then why would Gibson repair it under Warranty work? That doesn't make sense.

First, you have to prove it broke during shipping, which is pretty tough given you have to open the box to do so. If you open it, then you own it. You have to make a damage claim before opening the box.

EDIT : Did you ever get a shipping box dropped off at your residence that looked like it got run over by a freight train? I know I have. So, I call up the shipper and tell him I cannot accept the shipment, and tell them to come pick it up, because I cannot trust what may have happened to my item. That is filing a damage report with them, to come and take the box back from me unopened. If you are foolish enough to open such box, best of luck convincing anyone that your item broke during shipment. Anyone in their right mind knows better, and that they need to call the shipper and tell them they cannot accept delivery the way the package arrived. How does anyone know you did not drop the item later that night? The answer is, they don't. Your word vs someone else's. I don't like putting myself in such positions. If you do - Good Luck.

And, why would Gibson repair it, if it is FedEx or UPS's fault? They would then be responsible for the cost of the guitar, if it can be proven, and Gibson then could not turn back around and sell it. Again, none of that makes any sense.

EDIT : Gibson cannot report damage to the shipper upon getting an item back, and have the shipper pay Gibson for the full value of the broken item (likely), and then turn around and repair the item, and sell it again, double dipping their money too. They are obligated to destroy the item, or remand it back to the shipper, at the shipper's discretion. So, logic tells me that this is not what happened in this instance to the broken-necked guitar. If the shipper damaged such item, Gibson would just collect the full value for the item, as they are entitled.

Let's not give Gibson too much credit here they likely don't deserve. It looks like a factory break, that was then sold at their "yard sale", used, or whatever, which is just incredible.

EDIT : By "looks like" I simply meant: That given all the factors listed above, how logically did Gibson come to possess such broken-necked guitar? Common sense dictates, that no one returned it. Rather, something detrimental occurred at the factory instead. If you disagree with this conclusion, or what I have written, that is fine. And, the next time you get a severely damaged shipping box, feel free to open it, rather than calling the shipper. It won't trouble me.

Last edited:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
If it broke during shipping, then why would Gibson repair it under Warranty work? That doesn't make sense.

First, you have to prove it broke during shipping, which is pretty tough given you have to open the box to do so. If you open it, then you own it. You have to make a damage claim before opening the box.

And, why would Gibson repair it, if it is FedEx or UPS's fault? They would then be responsible for the cost of the guitar, if it can be proven, and Gibson then could not turn back around and sell it. Again, none of that makes any sense.

Let's not give Gibson too much credit here they likely don't deserve. It looks like a factory break, that was then sold at their "yard sale", used, or whatever, which is just incredible.
What does a warranty have to do with it? They had a broken guitar and repaired it so they could sell it.

You said "If you open the box then you own it". What?!?! :rofl: How can you make a claim before you open the box if the box isn't damaged?

You say that break looks factory.... please tell me what a "factory" broken headstock looks like. Why would they break a headstock and then sell the guitar at a discount? They could make more $$ by selling it unbroken.

moreles

Reaction score
When Fender can do a WAY better job of a relic guitar in their mid priced production models,
Wow, is this true IMO, and the Fender CS aging is really excellent when you get into rolled fretboard edges and other aspects that actually affect feel and playability. The actual original Murphy aged Gibsons are sometimes impressive, but on an ongoing basis, Gibson's againg just looks way fake and ugly to me. I particularly dislike the treatment of metal parts. Maybe it's weirdly the case that worn Fenders look great and worn Gibsons look cruddy.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does a warranty have to do with it? They had a broken guitar and repaired it so they could sell it.

You said "If you open the box then you own it". What?!?! :rofl: How can you make a claim before you open the box if the box isn't damaged?

You say that break looks factory.... please tell me what a "factory" broken headstock looks like. Why would they break a headstock and then sell the guitar at a discount? They could make more $$ by selling it unbroken.

This is typical post by this member (kewl kat)....I guess he’s a postal / advertisement lawyer by all these shipping and advertising laws he seems to think he’s an expert in...... I wouldn’t hire him.

:)

Last edited:

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Wow, is this true IMO, and the Fender CS aging is really excellent when you get into rolled fretboard edges and other aspects that actually affect feel and playability. The actual original Murphy aged Gibsons are sometimes impressive, but on an ongoing basis, Gibson's againg just looks way fake and ugly to me. I particularly dislike the treatment of metal parts. Maybe it's weirdly the case that worn Fenders look great and worn Gibsons look cruddy.
You don’t even need to look at Fender CS, Fender Mexico sells road worn guitars with vintage spec, and they blow away Murphy lab aging especially considering the price imo.

I only own Gibsons, and I’m a Gibson advocate, but Fender really kicks ass with their offerings imo.

my vintera tele has a lovely relic job, for under a grand
Exactly

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on Fender Mexico guitars. Although they use a template for the relicing, the Road Worn guitars are nitro, so you can add your own aging by playing them. My next guitar might very well be a blonde Vintera Road Worn '50s Tele.

AJK1

Reaction score
Heritage make beautiful relics and they play and sound amazing for a third of the cost of ML’s

skydog

Reaction score
Heritage make beautiful relics and they play and sound amazing for a third of the cost of ML’s
ML’s are cheaper by the dozen. Or at least some folks think so!

Vinsanitizer

You are awesome.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Gibson trying to replicate a famous guitar played by a famous rocker that actually has a broken headstock or have they lost their mind? It might be true what someone previously stated that Gibson is trying to see just how far they can push this ML thing. I guess it’s alright to charge full price for a broken headstock guitar as long as Gibson broke it. This may set a new precedent, strange very strange!
OMG! I think I'm-a gonna faint. My pickle has finally wilted. I can't take this anymore. I am afraid the time has come for me to suffice with Mexican Fenders, and Ibanez guitars with built-in handles and neck shrubbery. Somebody call 191.

1641423962388.png

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree on Fender Mexico guitars. Although they use a template for the relicing, the Road Worn guitars are nitro, so you can add your own aging by playing them. My next guitar might very well be a blonde Vintera Road Worn '50s Tele.

I bit the bullet and got that exact thing. Best guitar out there for the money if you ask me.

Latest Threads