Finally! Murphy Lab Ugly Headstock Repair model

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Okay, I admit I maybe had a few doubts about the Murphy Lab guitars. But now it seems Gibson have taken the whole ageing thing to its logical conclusion, and I for one can only applaud their audacity.

Behold, the Gibson Les Paul SG Custom Murphy Lab Ugly Headstock Repair (non-simulated) model in all its fearsome glory:

75A9833F-627A-4120-B7E0-E1638129A203.jpeg
65F51447-94B0-46F4-91E1-0FF24B3F321A.jpeg

kewl kat

Reaction score
Okay, I admit I maybe had a few doubts about the Murphy Lab guitars. But now it seems Gibson have taken the whole ageing thing to its logical conclusion, and I for one can only applaud their audacity.

Behold, the Gibson Les Paul SG Custom Murphy Lab Ugly Headstock Repair (non-simulated) model in all its fearsome glory:

In A Word: LAME :wtf:

kelsodeez

Reaction score
It seems like gibson uses the whole relicing thing as an excuse to cut corners and throw together guitars. I know this was probably a whoopsie at the factory or a return, but they could've done a better job of hiding that neck break, especially with the stinger. It's just lazy and speaks volumes at how they view their relic guitars. Of the couple murky labs reissues I've played, I think the relic job on my vintera Tele is better done.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
The irony here is that a talented luthier can perform a repair that you would never even know was there. So, this is not just a relic of a "headstock repair", it is a relic of a "BAD headstock repair".

You can almost hear the CS conversation now:
- "Dave, did you drop another SG?"
- "Yeah, but I think I can fix this one. And I am going to put it in the ML work pile. I will tell them it is a feature so they can even charge more for it."

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Murphy Lab Artist Series Pete Townshend model - new for 2022.

How does JC keep coming up with these great ideas? It is almost as if he is pulling trash out of the bins at the factory and reselling it for a crazy price at the Gibson Garage???

townshend1.jpg

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Of course, I appreciate that the Demo Shop is essentially an outlet for guitars that would in the past have been considered ‘seconds’, so maybe it’s a good thing that a perfectly serviceable instrument has been repaired instead of being run through the bandsaw and junked.

I’m just surprised Gibson is actually selling a guitar with a repaired headstock break instead of simply destroying it. I could be wrong, but I don’t think this has ever happened before in the company’s history.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How does JC keep coming up with these great ideas? It is almost as if he is pulling trash out of the bins at the factory and reselling it for a crazy price at the Gibson Garage???
This is JC's litmus test to see if anyone actually buys it. I'm sure someone on another forum (ahem) will scoop it up...

It's a collector's item!!!!!1!!1!

kelsodeez

Reaction score
This is JC's litmus test to see if anyone actually buys it. I'm sure someone on another forum (ahem) will scoop it up...

It's a collector's item!!!!!1!!1!
Even trogly said this could potentially be a collectors item because it's the first guitar with an actual neck break being sold from the factory. Before this, they've only sold simulated neck breaks on a few of the collectors choice series, and they received a mountain of shit for that, even though it was a simulated neck break and it was mimicking the original guitar that it was based off. So much facepalm.

mjross

Reaction score
Is Gibson trying to replicate a famous guitar played by a famous rocker that actually has a broken headstock or have they lost their mind? It might be true what someone previously stated that Gibson is trying to see just how far they can push this ML thing. I guess it’s alright to charge full price for a broken headstock guitar as long as Gibson broke it. This may set a new precedent, strange very strange!

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Here's the simulated headstock repair on the collectors choice

mjross

Reaction score
Here's the simulated headstock repair on the collectors choice
Trying to be accurate is one thing but this is off the hook!

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Is Gibson trying to replicate a famous guitar played by a famous rocker that actually has a broken headstock or have they lost their mind?
Apologies, I was just being daft suggesting it’s a new model. What it actually appears to be is a Murphy Lab SG/Les Paul custom that suffered a break at the factory and was then subsequently repaired, had a stinger added to it, and is now listed for sale... for too much money!

The weirdest thing about the situation is that Gibson is even selling a repaired headstock guitar instead of just declaring it a write-off.

Last edited:

Latest Threads