Finally got to try an LP Axcess

nkay

Reaction score
Finally got to try an LP Axcess in my local store, and yes, it's damn sweet!

I currently have two LP Traditionals (2009 Ebony and 2011 Desert Burst). I like them but the weight and bulk has been getting on my nerves (well my back/shoulder I should say).

Last year I bought an LP Custom Lite. I really like it, but I found it almost too light, to the point where there is a bit of neck dive. It also sounded a little thinner than I was hoping. Still great guitar, but feel like I can do better.

The Axcess is just perfect weight/balance wise. I was a little thrown off by the neck, it seems like a 60's neck but I had a bit of time adjusting to it. My Traditionals and Custom Lite are all 50's necks (slimmer type 50's not baseball bat), so maybe I just wasn't used to the change in grip. Going up the neck to the "axcess" part of the neck joint, it was heaven, even better upper fret access than my Strats, total win there. It was also so nice with the Floyd to hear a Les Paul completely in tune. :naughty: I've always had tuning problems with my other ones until I got the nuts properly worked on. I like Floyds in general, but different tunings on the fly is something I like about my regular LPs, and I already just recently got a Charvel Custom for floyd wanking.

It's a demo model so it's about 9/10 condition, and reflected in the price. Now I'm just deciding whether to trade in or sell a few of the others to pay for it as its still damn expensive. But easily a guitar I would keep the rest of my life.

DanL

Reaction score
I personally don't like floyds so I got the hard tail version but it is by far my favorite LP that I've ever owned. As you said, perfect weight and playability but mine has a 58ish neck on it so hold out and find a neck that suits you. 60s neck give my hand a cramp after 30 minutes or so.

nkay

Reaction score
I personally don't like floyds so I got the hard tail version but it is by far my favorite LP that I've ever owned. As you said, perfect weight and playability but mine has a 58ish neck on it so hold out and find a neck that suits you. 60s neck give my hand a cramp after 30 minutes or so.

Yeah I don't get it, I can go from my thin Charvel neck to the LP Traditional without an issue. I think I just don't have any experience with 60's necks so it just felt weird.

carydad

Reaction score
As Dan says, my stoptail is my #1. Scared to gig it though. They arent that common. I can't talk myself into another LP without that dang neck joint. Hoping Gibby makes it a "modern standard" down the line.

Razzle

Reaction score
I played an Axcess and didn’t like it at all, it had a floyd, and that’s what I wanted. But I didn’t like the neck, way too chunky for me (tree log).

I decided to get a semi-custom Agile Les Paul. Very similar guitar, fourth the price or less, more color options. I love my Agile. It is chambered, has a neck-through design (killer sustain), quilt top, floyd rose, stainless frets, and most importantly ~ it has a nice thin profile neck. (I was even able to get it with 24 frets and a 25.5” scale, which I prefer). It weighs right around 9 lbs, wish it was a little lighter, but overall it’s a killer guitar. You just can’t get a Gibson with all these features. It’s not a Gibson though, but something you might want to consider.

circles

Reaction score
I love everything about those guitars, other than the Floyd. It's just silly. Put on a more humane whammy bar and sign me up for one of them. Now. The other features are excellent.

nkay

Reaction score
I guess an ESP Eclipse with Floyd Rose is another cheaper option, especially used.

I played an Axcess and didn’t like it at all, it had a floyd, and that’s what I wanted. But I didn’t like the neck, way too chunky for me (tree log).

I decided to get a semi-custom Agile Les Paul. Very similar guitar, fourth the price or less, more color options. I love my Agile. It is chambered, has a neck-through design (killer sustain), quilt top, floyd rose, stainless frets, and most importantly ~ it has a nice thin profile neck. (I was even able to get it with 24 frets and a 25.5” scale, which I prefer). It weighs right around 9 lbs, wish it was a little lighter, but overall it’s a killer guitar. You just can’t get a Gibson with all these features. It’s not a Gibson though, but something you might want to consider.

DanL

Reaction score

As the OP said there are plenty out there with thin profile necks. Most LP guys don't like longer scale lengths and I personally don't care for a neck thru because with good woods it's literally too much sustain for my tastes.

dspelman

Reaction score
As the OP said there are plenty out there with thin profile necks. Most LP guys don't like longer scale lengths and I personally don't care for a neck thru because with good woods it's literally too much sustain for my tastes.

Razzle was pointing out that Rondo's semi-custom shop offers scales of 24", 24.75", 25.5" and 27" for these guitars, as well as both slim (depth), standard and wide (1 3/4" at the nut) neck profiles. You can get the guitar with the upper bout chambered if you like, for a bit less sustain and a bit less weight.

I've really never heard anyone complain about "too much sustain" before, but that would probably be a good reason to avoid Les Pauls altogether.

dspelman

Reaction score
I guess an ESP Eclipse with Floyd Rose is another cheaper option, especially used.

The Eclipse II, at least, is a set neck guitar with a very standard (clunky) neck heel.

Latest Threads