Finally got the ball rolling on the refinish

Phylodog

Reaction score
Started working on this guy yesterday. I picked it up awhile back and had a friend put a vinyl wrap on it to hold me over until next year when the weather warms back up. Got it home and couldn't stand not knowing what was under the ugly black paint so I got to work, hand sanded it down starting with 60 grit then 80, 100, 120 & 220. I'm going to use a palm sander to take the ring off where the mahogany had been exposed and darkened. Now I have to figure out what I want as far as a finish, considering just a tung oil.

dogbone94

Reaction score
That's a lot of hand sanding. Hats off to you. I've got a project I want to start of my own

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
looks like fun, reminds me of a telecaster I re finished 47 years ago. Funny how we never forget our cool memories...

Phylodog

Reaction score
I believe it is but I'm not 100%. The grain sure looks like it crossed the center line unobstructed but at a certain angle it looks like there is a line down the center.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
I think what looks like binding is the edge of the maple top where the paint was sanded away. Look closely at photo #2 and you can see the wood grain.

Phylodog

Reaction score
I've got all of the maple taped off and I'm planning to take it to a friend's shop and give the mahogany a coat of clear lacquer. The line of darkened mahogany doesn't want to sand off easily and I don't want to sand too deep so I'm going to leave it as is. Hopefully the lacquer will even it out but if not I figure it'll serve as a reminder of how it once looked.

Once I have the mahogany covered I'm planning to use some Unicorn Spit to stain the maple lightly with teal/turquoise and sand it back to get a weathered look. Once I have the maple stained to my satisfaction I'll spray the entire thing with a couple more coats of lacquer then a top coat of a water based satin topcoat.

Phylodog

Reaction score
I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine, but I've decided to gift this guitar to my 15yo daughter for Christmas and she loves this color. She shares my love of music and has hinted about maybe picking up a guitar. Either way she'll hopefully have this long after I'm gone. Needs a bit more sanding then 3 coats of water based satin from General Finishes.

ChuckHall03

Reaction score
Looking great so far!

what a lucky daughter you have too, a studio Les Paul certainly is a fantastic “starter” guitar. Dreamed of having one of these when I got my first guitar (Squier strat of course).
Would love to see more pics and the finished product when you’re there!

Latest Threads