Finally found a Norlin locally to try out. Anything I should look for?

batdog

Reaction score
Thanks! That’s a good point. The seller said a few people are already asking to see it this saturday. I’m gonna try to go tomorrow if i can.

My only hesitstion is the pickups. Seller says they’re original but doesn’t have any pictures of the underside to confirm and said he hasn’t removed them before. Should i ask to see that before buying? The pickup covers are pretty worn so it looks legit but no way to know for sure. Feel bad making them remove and flip it if I end up not liking it in person.
the soldering on those pots have never been touched pretty sure pickups are original

InTheEvening

Reaction score
the soldering on those pots have never been touched pretty sure pickups are original
Man, I’m gonna be kicking myself over this for a long time. By the time i find another one in this good condition i’m prob gonna have to pay 5k at the rate the prices are going up.

Good to know about the wiring though. At least now i know what to look for. Will be checking listings daily until i find another one. I’m wondering if it might even be worth reaching out to guys like Trogly who are good at tracking these down.

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
Man, I’m gonna be kicking myself over this for a long time. By the time i find another one in this good condition i’m prob gonna have to pay 5k at the rate the prices are going up.

Good to know about the wiring though. At least now i know what to look for. Will be checking listings daily until i find another one. I’m wondering if it might even be worth reaching out to guys like Trogly who are good at tracking these down.
You’ll find another. They’re out there!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
p
You’ll find another. They’re out there!
Thanks! Gonna stay hopeful. I wasn’t checking as frequently before, but I’ll peruse the listings daily, and now I’ll def know a good one when i see one.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Sorry I’ve made so many threads. I’m still in the return window with my 57 black beauty. So I’m keeping any eye out for any LP Custom I may like more. I opted out of the wine red due to the holes in the body and seller not knowing the pickups they put in.

But this popped up on Craigslist today. A 1978 black beauty, The pots/caps looks to be original and it seems to be in pretty good condition. Serial number looks legit but no Made In USA stamp. Only big blemish is the finish wear near the head stock. I don’t know how it wore down like that. Can’t tell from the pictures, but doesn’t seem to have any signs of headstock repairs. I don’t think the speed knobs are original. Seller said pickups are original, would these be T tops? I think the Shaws were 1980 onward.

This seller is much closer, so I’m gonna see it in person. But is there any big things I should look out for? I watched Trogly’s video taking apart a 1978 Custom which was actually pretty helpful to know what to look for.
Seller is asking $3800 which seems a little high but I’m thinking is $3100 a fair offer? Don’t want to offend the seller but I don’t want to overpay either I’m pretty happy with the 3 pickup 57 black beauty I recently found, so I wouldn’t be too upset passing this up. I know they’re very different guitars though.

Pictures
FC871-D34-6469-4-E2-F-8999-86734-F3-E915-A.jpg

2637-EBF2-2-CDF-4-B67-9-BC4-5505-EE612-BD6.jpg

AE5-F2-CD8-E4-CE-41-F2-AB4-B-1-F0-C83-AFA1-EF.jpg

55532-EB5-A123-45-E2-895-F-03-E8-D905071-A.jpg

C976-C724-1674-4-D83-BD99-81112-A5-BC002.jpg

E83911-EF-5575-4640-AC3-B-6-A69-FD57-BAF7.jpg
I own a '78 and it's just like this one.
But this one is missing a poker chip and black reflector knobs.

Mine doesn't have the "Made in USA" either.

I wonder if the worn finish could have been caused by some kind of stand or wall mount hanger ?
:dunno:

Last edited:

AdrianDSMer

Reaction score
My 0.2

Don't believe that guitar was the "only" one. I've spent countless hours watching guitars over the years and there's always a good/clean one with a good price popping up, just keep an eye. Norlins are not rare, there are tons of them out there and maybe a lot more under people's bed lol.

As someone mentioned, once you see her, act fast!!!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
My 0.2

Don't believe that guitar was the "only" one. I've spent countless hours watching guitars over the years and there's always a good/clean one with a good price popping up, just keep an eye. Norlins are not rare, there are tons of them out there and maybe a lot more under people's bed lol.

As someone mentioned, once you see her, act fast!!!
Well I think your post turned out to be true! A stunning Black Beauty Norlin got listed in the classifieds this weekend. And I def didn’t hesitate this time. Will hopefully have a NGD post to share soon.

ARandall

Reaction score
Oh, well done!!!

Don't tease us too long, and make sure to start a new thread with lotsa pics etc.

Latest Threads