Finally finished modding my 2018 Studio, NGD?

Nimco

Reaction score
Bought this at the start of the pandemic, a year and a half ago, but didn't want to post until I was done with what I wanted to do.

This was in brand spanking new condition, with case, bound neck and my favourite Gibson pickups - 57 Classics. Seller accepted an offer on Ebay, and Ebay had a deal of 10% as well, which resulted in me taking it home for £700.

I initially tested quite a few Epiphones, some of which I bought and returned. I probably waqs unlucky, no disrespect to Epiphone because I love their guitars, but the going prices for the versions with good pickups were really high, Just as a point of reference, the 59' Epiphones were delayed at the time but priced at £729, the Joe Bonamassa at £749, the 100th Anniversary were £700+, and the 60 reissues with 57 classics were £550-£600.

The market probably changed since, but I pulled the trigger on this because off the price and seller, and never looked back. This thing came full set up, and when I plugged it in it blew me away.

The only 3 downsides were:
1. PCB
2. Chrome Hardware.
3. Dark back - would have loved it to have the 2016/2017 backs where you see the wood.

Upgrades/changes include:
  1. Schaller locking straplocks
  2. Nickel Aluminium bridge and nickel steel studs
  3. Nickel ABR1
  4. Nickel Grover Rotomatics
  5. Hipshot buttons
  6. Removed pickup covers
  7. Cream rings and poker chip
  8. Gold top hat knobs and nickel pointers
  9. Blank truss rod cover
  10. Amber switch tip
  11. 2 CTS 500 pots, 2 DPDT pots, 2 X 0.022uf caps (replacing the 2X0.033uf caps that came on the PCB)
  12. Master coil split in bridge tone position, Out of phase in neck tone position
  13. Pickguard holes filled.

I'm in love!

All done. Until I decide to try faux binding or remove the finish from back and sides that is.

Bottom image is before most changes.

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg
IMG_1731.png

E.X

Reaction score
Nice one :)

It's an emotional process too, isn't it.. by the time you're done, your wallet sure hurts, but you've also a bond you lacked initially.
And truth be told, you get to enjoy this more; it's that happy middle between cheap, average/good and very expensive, where usually the good/average get to be the workhorse in the end. That happy medium between over-respecting your instrument and being semi indifferent to it.

My advice would be to skip on the binding; i get why it's in the back of your head, but either you do all of it, body to headstock and back, which costs too much to be done right, as you also have the guitar finish to consider afterwards; or, you just go the opposite way and have the existing fretboard binding painted black, or whatever best matches the back.
Cheaper and most of all, you. Not like any other out there, just.. you.

Edit: You want to think of more expenses, start with the obvious! Change that nut, lol, really.

Nimco

Reaction score
Nice one :)

It's an emotional process too, isn't it.. by the time you're done, your wallet sure hurts, but you've also a bond you lacked initially.
And truth be told, you get to enjoy this more; it's that happy middle between cheap, average/good and very expensive, where usually the good/average get to be the workhorse in the end. That happy medium between over-respecting your instrument and being semi indifferent to it.

My advice would be to skip on the binding; i get why it's in the back of your head, but either you do all of it, body to headstock and back, which costs too much to be done right, as you also have the guitar finish to consider afterwards; or, you just go the opposite way and have the existing fretboard binding painted black, or whatever best matches the back.
Cheaper and most of all, you. Not like any other out there, just.. you.
Summarised it beautifully.

I would just add that due to selling the parts that came off, it only added £50 in parts. It's the time I put in - sourcing from different places, waiting for the right parts to arrive from all over the world, replacing those that wouldn't fit.

As you say, emotional. It is mine.

I don't feel the need for another guitar, maybe that would change in the future, but this one stays. My son decided it's also time to rename her :)

Reactions: E.X

Dilver

Reaction score
Very cool that they put binding on the Studio in 2018. Leave the back and sides… in case you ever want to sell it.

Latest Threads