Finally cleared something up about my R9 thanks to Gibson CS

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
When I originally bought my 2012 R9 and started a NGD thread, I mis-titled the thread as a 2013 because I had Custom Buckers on the brain. The original owner insisted it had Custom Buckers. "Make sure you let people know it has Custom Buckers." As a 2012, I thought he must be mistaken, so went with it had BurstBuckers without any other information to say otherwise. They both measured at a tick over 8k (neck 8.05k/bridge 8.01k), so I assumed two BB2's.

Later in a Pickup forum thread here, I brought them up and mentioned they are probably BB2's but didn't have the BB stickers on the back. Only a PAF label. Bill M from Electric City Pickups suggested with the readings and no stickers that they were more likely Custom Buckers, depending on the year. Much discussion ensued about what they were, and if the zebra pickup or wiring were altered. I also remembered mentioning to the salesman I deal with at Long & McQuade that I bought the guitar from the guy and he immediately exclaimed "CUSTOM BUCKERS!" and said it was a memorable special edition R9. I again thought he may have been mistaken, but when Bill M thought they may be Custom Buckers, so did I.

Left it at that and had every intention to contact Gibson about it. Did, but they wanted a bunch of pics and I forgot about it. Finally last week I stopped procrastinating (because who knows how long Gibson will continue to provide this information) and followed through and sent the pics. After some research, they confirmed it was a special/limited 2012 Dirty Lemon VOS R9 with Custom Buckers and a zebra bridge built exclusively for Long & McQuade. Pretty cool. Early Custom Buckers (possibly similar to the CC runs that had them?). Have yet to see another like it on the Interweb and searching for the model number (LPR59VLDLNH) brings up nothing. No idea how many were made.

Reissue thread is nothing without pics.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Nice guit! Checked out the pickup thread, how do the WLHs compare to custombuckers?
Thanks!

Totally different animals. The CBs have a slightly hot vintagey sound. Bright but not ice picky. A nice crunchy breakup and clean cleans. The WLHs are middy, full, bright and dark at the same time, and AGGRESSIVE. The breakup is like a revving Harley. My JB is hotter, but smoother in a way. The WLH is more rough and gnarly. Snarls. But it is killer for classic rock and Zepp. My most played pickup.

519tbarr

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and cool story.

When I originally bought my 2012 R9 and started a NGD thread, I mis-titled the thread as a 2013 because I had Custom Buckers on the brain. The original owner insisted it had Custom Buckers. "Make sure you let people know it has Custom Buckers." As a 2012, I thought he must be mistaken, so went with it had BurstBuckers without any other information to say otherwise. They both measured at a tick over 8k (neck 8.05k/bridge 8.01k), so I assumed two BB2's.

Later in a Pickup forum thread here, I brought them up and mentioned they are probably BB2's but didn't have the BB stickers on the back. Only a PAF label. Bill M from Electric City Pickups suggested with the readings and no stickers that they were more likely Custom Buckers, depending on the year. Much discussion ensued about what they were, and if the zebra pickup or wiring were altered. I also remembered mentioning to the salesman I deal with at Long & McQuade that I bought the guitar from the guy and he immediately exclaimed "CUSTOM BUCKERS!" and said it was a memorable special edition R9. I again thought he may have been mistaken, but when Bill M thought they may be Custom Buckers, so did I.

Left it at that and had every intention to contact Gibson about it. Did, but they wanted a bunch of pics and I forgot about it. Finally last week I stopped procrastinating (because who knows how long Gibson will continue to provide this information) and followed through and sent the pics. After some research, they confirmed it was a special/limited 2012 Dirty Lemon VOS R9 with Custom Buckers and a zebra bridge built exclusively for Long & McQuade. Pretty cool. Early Custom Buckers (possibly similar to the CC runs that had them?). Have yet to see another like it on the Interweb and searching for the model number (LPR59VLDLNH) brings up nothing. No idea how many were made.

Reissue thread is nothing without pics.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and cool story.
Thanks!

Beautiful LP man..that's good you got it cleared up..Congrats..!!.
Thanks! It was all the Custom Bucker threads that finally pushed me. I'd be "The Custom Buckers in my R9 sound great!.. I think... unless they are BurstBuckers or Classic 57s or something..."

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was one of those 2012 L&Ms with a darker burst on Kijiji, Western Ontario, several months ago. Custombuckers first came out in 2010 or 2011 I believe.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was one of those 2012 L&Ms with a darker burst on Kijiji, Western Ontario, several months ago. Custombuckers first came out in 2010 or 2011 I believe.
That's cool. Wish I would have seen it. Did it have the zebra bridge as well?

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a pickguard on guy myself but that top will work without one.
Thank you kindly! I'm thinking of putting on the pickguard, which I prefer, but I can't bring myself to screw into that top.

Latest Threads