Finally A 2015 Gibson USA Worth Buying!...New Les Paul Special Pro!

tzd

Reaction score
Did anyone get two packages? For some reason, my tracking number says there's two packages.

(1) for 16 pnds
(1) for 1 pnd

i was given one tracking number, but when opened in the UPS website, it showed something like "this shipment has two tracking numbers". The first one is mine (16lb) and the second one is a different number (90lbs). I am assuming they shipped other items to Guitar Center in the same shipping bill.

My order all came in one sealed double-box.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Yeah, its a good thing I have to wait.

UPS didn't update the website last night, like it claims (Update by Friday 3/18/16 11:59 pm). Far as I know, my guitar is still in Kansas.

So, wrong neck, wrong tuners and a week to deliver, when I was willing to pay for 2 day. This is going to be kind of fun.

tzd

Reaction score
Yeah, its a good thing I have to wait.

UPS didn't update the website last night, like it claims (Update by Friday 3/18/16 11:59 pm). Far as I know, my guitar is still in Kansas.

So, wrong neck, wrong tuners and a week to deliver, when I was willing to pay for 2 day. This is going to be kind of fun.

Play your SG Standard in the meantime. I think the neck profile is very similar. It's slimmer than the neck of my Studio Deluxe, but extremely comfortable (if you're a 60s neck guy).

The only gripe I have is that the binding is not shaved down very well between the nut and the first fret, the edge of the binding is very sharp and caused some irritation to my index finger when playing. I will have to roll the binding edge if I decide to keep this guitar.

ShoalsRanger

Reaction score
Same here except no cloth and two allen wrenches of different sizes. I am guesstimating that originally these came with tone pro's locking bridge / stop bar on them or ?

I was wondering the same as I typed that. The allen wrench confused me.

When you say "originally" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that at some point they planned to put a locking bridge on this model then decided...nah, let's go with the ol' regular Nashville?

TylerE

Reaction score
Got mine today (Well, it came Thursday but I was out of town.)

Gloss neck (I was a bit bummed about this originally, but after playing it - no regrets - it's not sticky gloss like many epiphones) and Grovers.

Really really enjoying this guitar after a couple hours of play time. Great contrast to my other guitars (My other 2 primary guitars are a 26.5"-28" Fanned Fret 8 string and a 25.5" neck-thru S-Style). Both of those are shredder type guitars... mega jumbo frets, really flat fingerboard radius, etc.

The Gibson just feels....right, especially for classic rock, which is a big part of what I play.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
I was wondering the same as I typed that. The allen wrench confused me.

When you say "originally" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that at some point they planned to put a locking bridge on this model then decided...nah, let's go with the ol' regular Nashville?

Same here when I saw the wrenches... I was like "what the?".......What I mean by "originally" is the first issue/ version of this guitar with the G-Force, 490 series pups, hard case etc. Possible it had the tone pro's on there as well.

tzd

Reaction score
Same here when I saw the wrenches... I was like "what the?".......What I mean by "originally" is the first issue/ version of this guitar with the G-Force, 490 series pups, hard case etc. Possible it had the tone pro's on there as well.

Gotta correct all the wrongs here:

1. This model never had a tonepros bridge. I received the hex wrench as well as truss rod wrench and cleaning cloth. The hex wrench is not the wrench that you would use to lock a tonepros bridge. This wrench is bigger than that. It is the wrench that would have been used to lock the nut of a floyd rose. I don't know what it's used for on a Gibson. It could possibly be used to adjust the bridge height on some of the 2014-16 models that have the wrench adjustable posts.

2. The first version of this guitar does not have 490 pickups. The pickups have always been coil-splittable BurstBucker Pro Zebras.

3. This model also never came with a hard case.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
Well for the record I did say "guesstimating" and "possible" as a reason for my guitar coming with two hex wrenches...The other stuff are spec's listed by stores and/or Gibson. How big are the wrenches for the adjustable brass nut the majority of the 2015's came with? Could be they just had a bunch of the case "candy" bagged up and threw them in even if the guitar didn't have one.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
Looking on youtube it seems the smallest hex wrench I received is for adjusting the brass nut that many 2015 models came with. The larger one seems to be what tzd is talking about with the adjustable bridge height via hex-wrench. Gibson mentions "Allen wrench compatible thumb crews" as a feature on their 2015 Standard.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Play your SG Standard in the meantime. I think the neck profile is very similar. It's slimmer than the neck of my Studio Deluxe, but extremely comfortable (if you're a 60s neck guy).

The only gripe I have is that the binding is not shaved down very well between the nut and the first fret, the edge of the binding is very sharp and caused some irritation to my index finger when playing. I will have to roll the binding edge if I decide to keep this guitar.

I have a similar issue with my SG and the nut. Actually, my Studio Pro was kind of like it to. The top edge of the high E string, was extremely sharp. It almost felt like it was cutting me at times. Still does it on the SG, but the Studio was swapped out.

As for the hex wrenches. If you guys check out some of the models of newer Gibsons, the bridge has hex holes in the top of it. I have a dremel and all the attachments. I'm just lazy.

pentatonic145

Reaction score
Well dang. I just got mine today (it's been waiting for me at the local GC where I had it shipped for over a week, but I just got back from vacation to pick it up today ). My input jack is shorting out! What should I do? Should I work with GC, or with Gibson on getting this fixed/replaced?

I really love the way the guitar plays and the different combinations of sounds I can produce with the split coil pick ups, as long as I'm holding the cable and just the right way… so I want to keep the guitar, especially considering that I only paid 600 for it.

One other thing: shouldn't this guitar have 10s on it from the factory? It feels like it has nine's on it and the nines feel dirty old and dead…

laterider

Reaction score
If it plays great and you are good with the fit and finish the input jack is an easy issue. I would think GC could repair it on the spot.

tzd

Reaction score
Well dang. I just got mine today (it's been waiting for me at the local GC where I had it shipped for over a week, but I just got back from vacation to pick it up today ). My input jack is shorting out! What should I do? Should I work with GC, or with Gibson on getting this fixed/replaced?

I really love the way the guitar plays and the different combinations of sounds I can produce with the split coil pick ups, as long as I'm holding the cable and just the right way… so I want to keep the guitar, especially considering that I only paid 600 for it.

One other thing: shouldn't this guitar have 10s on it from the factory? It feels like it has nine's on it and the nines feel dirty old and dead…

The strings are 9-46. 9's for the three high strings and 10's for the three low strings.

Latest Threads