Final upgrades done...

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I've had my Epiphone Les Paul since 1995, according to Paruwi on another thread it is a 1990 model, so coming up for 30 years old. I had to replace the bridge as it had sagged, had a new nut fitted and set up. Later I replaced all the electronics due to crackles, then put a set of Bareknuckle Mule pickups in it. I rushed the pickup job, so I always intended to go back and tidy this up. Finally got round to this a few weeks as I wanted to replace the wiring with metal shielded cable as I had a gig coming up and wanted it properly sorted.

This is the control area before:
Control panel before edit.jpg

Remade the output jack wiring and heat shrink sleeved to prevent shorting:
Output jack edit.jpg

The selector switch had been changed to a Switchcraft one a while back, but using the original wiring:
Selector switch before edit.jpg

The control panel afterwards. CTS Pots and vintage wiring method:
Control panel after.jpg

I adjusted the heights of the Bareknuckles and really got it sounding how I want it to. I recently bought the new Marshall 20 watt 'Plexi' head (SV20H) and the LP sounds great through it.

This is just before I went on stage for the gig...we played Money for Nothing by Dire Straits, hence the outfit (even if not period correct as it turned out):

Before gig.jpg

straybeat

Reaction score
I've had my Epiphone Les Paul since 1995, according to Paruwi on another thread it is a 1990 model, so coming up for 30 years old. I had to replace the bridge as it had sagged, had a new nut fitted and set up. Later I replaced all the electronics due to crackles, then put a set of Bareknuckle Mule pickups in it. I rushed the pickup job, so I always intended to go back and tidy this up. Finally got round to this a few weeks as I wanted to replace the wiring with metal shielded cable as I had a gig coming up and wanted it properly sorted.

This is the control area before:
View attachment 370873

Remade the output jack wiring and heat shrink sleeved to prevent shorting:
View attachment 370874

The selector switch had been changed to a Switchcraft one a while back, but using the original wiring:
View attachment 370875

The control panel afterwards. CTS Pots and vintage wiring method:
View attachment 370876

I adjusted the heights of the Bareknuckles and really got it sounding how I want it to. I recently bought the new Marshall 20 watt 'Plexi' head (SV20H) and the LP sounds great through it.

This is just before I went on stage for the gig...we played Money for Nothing by Dire Straits, hence the outfit (even if not period correct as it turned out):

View attachment 370877
I'll bet if you re-magnetized the Epi pickups, you'd have a brand new set of killer ones there too?

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I'll bet if you re-magnetized the Epi pickups, you'd have a brand new set of killer ones there too?
They were very microphonic and dull sounding, so I'm not sure they would be worth the effort. I put them in the Bareknuckles box just incase I need them in the future, but can't imagine why when the BKs sound so good.