Filtertrons/TV Jones in a Les Paul Standard. Anybody?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I’m seriously considering dropping a set of these into one of my Les Pauls.

I’m leaning toward my ‘93 Standard, which still has the original factory humbuckers in it.

Anyone here with experience on the matter?

I’ve been dreaming of buying one of any number of Gretschs over the years.
DuoJet
Tennessee Rose
Even a Setzer signature model.

I’ve been this close, with cash in my pocket, too many times.
Just never did it.

But I firmly believe I need some Filtertrons in my modest arsenal.

Advice?
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Mr French

Reaction score
Filtertrons sounds freaking great! No clue if they even fit a Les Paul hence the reason why I never tried them nor see them on a LP.

Leee

Reaction score
TV Jones link above is for a standard humbucker size.
Drops in.

NotScott

Reaction score
I love Filtertrons! I have not tried them in a Les Paul but I put a TV Jones Classic Plus and Classic in this Tele and it is one of my favorite guitars!

U8nFCDk.jpg

freefrog

Reaction score
Yes, I've a LP with such PUs among other guitars.

IME, a LP with FilterTron's still sounds like a LP, not like a Gretsch, but it's a step toward that "Gretschy" tone...

A great thing is that a swappable 3,3nF cap connected from hot to ground will drag the FT tone in the P.A.F. sonic range on the flick of a switch (or push pull).

Something counterintuitive, though: if Classic FT style pickups are set as recommended by TV Jones and depending on the pots resistance + cable capacitance involved, they won't necessarily be as bright as they're meant to be. They can even seem flatter or darker than P.A.F. style humbuckers, albeit with a kind of recognizeable polite transparency.
It's due to a highly pitched resonant peak, whose frequency is beyond what most guitar loudspeakers can reproduce... That and Foucault currents give an unexepected tone warming effect and might explain why many people paradoxically end with treble bleed circuits in guitars with FT's...

FWIW. I've still a couple of rambling thoughts to share on that subject if needed. :p

filtersweep

Reaction score
I had them in a Cabronita-- didn't really work for me. I have them in a Gretsch, and they are awesome, though my other Gretsch with Dynasonics might be even Gretschier.

My backwards point- I am not convinced they behave as expected in a solid body. I know some people have them in Teles and love them. But they don't sound the same to my ears. Never even seen one in a Les Paul--- which may or may not tell you something ;)

If you want a Gretsch, just buy a Gretsch.... or two. I cannot guarantee it, but I doubt it will be the same has running Filtertrons in a Les Paul.

These pickups are not cheap-- and those models are not exactly the ones people want, if you need to sell them. Most want the universal mount, regular sized 'trons.

Leee

Reaction score
Right on.
Even the Gretsch solid-bodies aren’t very solid - there’s a lot of air in there.
So I’m not at all certain what tones I will get in a Les Paul.

But I have a couple Les Pauls that have pickups I don’t really love.
So doing a swap is no big deal.
How bad could it sound?
:laugh2:

It’s not so much that I want to buy a Gretsch (I do) but that I’ve always been fascinated by the Filtertrons.

Buying a Gretsch is out of the question for the time being.
It’s been raining guitars around my place lately, and the missus is giving me the furrowed brow …

But buying a pair of Filtertrons is something I can do without attracting undue attention from kitchen, if you know what I mean.

I’m always tinkering with something guitar-wise in the office, so that doesn’t get me in trouble.

filtersweep

Reaction score
Right on.
Even the Gretsch solid-bodies aren’t very solid - there’s a lot of air in there.
So I’m not at all certain what tones I will get in a Les Paul.

But I have a couple Les Pauls that have pickups I don’t really love.
So doing a swap is no big deal.
How bad could it sound?
:laugh2:

It’s not so much that I want to buy a Gretsch (I do) but that I’ve always been fascinated by the Filtertrons.

Buying a Gretsch is out of the question for the time being.
It’s been raining guitars around my place lately, and the missus is giving me the furrowed brow …

But buying a pair of Filtertrons is something I can do without attracting undue attention from kitchen, if you know what I mean.

I’m always tinkering with something guitar-wise in the office, so that doesn’t get me in trouble.
LOL--- my wife ran into a shock when she realized all those guitar cases I was storing under beds in the house--- actually had guitars in them. She thought I was just storing the cases.

sgarnett

Reaction score
Fwiw, Gretsch wiring is a little different.

The pickup volumes are wired with the pickup leads to ground and CENTER, with the output taken from the outer lug opposite ground. In other words, the pickup’s hot lead and the output wire are swapped at the pot.

BTW, the Gretsch-style pickup volumes have the side effect of decreasing the pickup’s Q (flattening the resonant peak) as they are turned down.

There’s only a single master tone, which may be either a three-position switch or a conventional pot. The switch version is commonly known as the “mud switch”: the center is no-load, And the two outer positions have different cap values. The switch CAN be useful if the caps are dialed in for your needs. Personally, I would recommend using a no-load tone pot.

There’s also a conventionally-wired master volume (output from the center tap). I’m not sure of the typical value, but I think it is either 500K or 1M.

Not saying they have to be wired that way, but most of the higher-end models (Proline and recent Electromatic) are.

Last edited:

Leee

Reaction score
Right on.
I am familiar with the mud switch.
6119s and 6120s I played that had it, I just left it up.
Seems like a pretty worthless control scheme to me.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I've got them in an ES-335, they sing. I DID have to open up the bridge a little bit because of the filter'tron I got for the bridge had the classic gretsch-mount wings. But if you get Universal mount (screw on ears), you'll be good to go no matter what.

TV-Jones makes Humbucker mounting rings, they start with EM and are compatible with the Les Paul Standard routes AND the universal mount filter'trons. I would expect a Standard to sound more like a Duojet.

Dilver

Reaction score
Big Gretsch and TV Jones love here. The TV Jones Classic Plus is a killer rock and roll pickup in the bridge position. No comparison to standard Filters IMO. Classic Plus in a Les Paul would probably be amazing.
E9573BF4-E1A0-49D8-B4F9-F9E8BEBB019C.jpeg

bluesoul

Reaction score
I have a Duo-Jet with TV Jones Filters...and it sounds cool. I have also wondered how a Les Paul would sound with those!
I am interested in what you find out!

NotScott

Reaction score
I love my Gretsch guitars too. Even though that Tele has Trons in it, it doesn't sound like a Gretsch. You can hear some "Gretschiness" in it, particularly in the middle position, but it sounds like a Tele with something special. I also put the same TV Jones Trons in this Strat:

a9a6ptL.jpg

It too, doesn't sound like a Strat. It is something different but I love it!

The construction of Gretsch guitars really give them their sound. A Jet may look like a solid body, but doesn't sound anything like a Paul. The chambered body and the floating bridge give Jets that characteristic plucky sound.

Please post your findings and clips when done! Thank you!

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've put them into a few guitars, including a LP copy. I never used the Humbucker mount, just the universal Filtertron size with THESE MOUNT RINGS to fit in a Humbucker route.

The dimensions and closeness of the coils, are part of that filtertron tone,

Though, on an LP, I would lean towards a Classic Plus in Bridge, and Classic in neck.

I also think PowerTrons are a good match for an LP. PAF with the flavor of a filtertron.

TVJ recommends 500K pots, and that is what I used. Some Gibsons run 300K in LPs/ Also .022 cap.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on the original filtertron and "what happened" over the years.

And it's important to know, for all those seeking to by cheap filtertrons on ebay or reverb that had been posted up for sale after buying TV Jones replacements, thinking they've got a deal.

Flitertrons went through a lot of shit. The originals in the 50's were the shizz. All of them had Alnico mags, either V or II , depending on what was available. All of them were wound with 42 AWG to a resistance of 4.5 to 5.5 or thereabouts. They were very musical, with that low winding, and they sounded marvelous overdriven.

Those are the good ones.

Then Baldwin took over. Added ceramic mags, over wound the damn things to sometimes 13k, and they sounded like total shit. Same cover, so it all looks legit. But there's bad Juju under the hoood. Other modifications were made until they completely destroyed any decent sound the little things could produce.

So to be safe, just by TV Jones offerings, which are all wound with the materials and care of the 50's and early 60's models.

Leee

Reaction score
Seeing what you guys have posted about using rings to mount traditional-size Filtertrons in a humbucker cavity, it looks like that would be the way to go.

Instead of buying a humbucker-sized TV Jones.

To me that feels like buying a humbucker-sized P-90, something that never sat right with me.

OK, here’s my next dilemma:
Which Les Paul?

I have a ‘93 Standard that is my avatar guitar.
Custom paint, had a headstock repair, plenty of mods already, but it still has the original humbuckers in it.
It sounds OK, I’ve just left them in there because it’s different than all of my other Les Pauls.
Since the pickups are pretty much, the only thing left as it came from the factory, it doesn’t have to stay “original.”

What other choice is my 2000 Les Paul Classic with a AAA top.
It came with ceramics, and that guitar is the reason I cannot stand ceramic pickups.
I thought they were awful.
The more I played it, the worse it got.

It’s had a set of Burstbucker Pro V humbuckers in it for over 20 years, but I’ve just never really warmed up to them.
I don’t know why.
Maybe it should’ve gotten 57 Classics like so many other guitars I own?

Anyway, those are the two guitars on the table for this.
I like the pickups in all of my other Gibsons.

As far as comparison to chambering in the Gretsch solid bodies, I’m guessing both of these Les Pauls have 9-hole weight relief?
Well, I have an x-ray showing the ‘93 Standard has nine holes.
As far as the Classic goes, I presume it does as well?
Anyone know about this?

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on the original filtertron and "what happened" over the years.

And it's important to know, for all those seeking to by cheap filtertrons on ebay or reverb that had been posted up for sale after buying TV Jones replacements, thinking they've got a deal.

Flitertrons went through a lot of shit. The originals in the 50's were the shizz. All of them had Alnico mags, either V or II , depending on what was available. All of them were wound with 42 AWG to a resistance of 4.5 to 5.5 or thereabouts. They were very musical, with that low winding, and they sounded marvelous overdriven.

Those are the good ones.

Then Baldwin took over. Added ceramic mags, over wound the damn things to sometimes 13k, and they sounded like total shit. Same cover, so it all looks legit. But there's bad Juju under the hoood. Other modifications were made until they completely destroyed any decent sound the little things could produce.

So to be safe, just by TV Jones offerings, which are all wound with the materials and care of the 50's and early 60's models.

I'm scared to ask what I've got in that 335, I'm going to guess they're Baldwin era, lol

Latest Threads