FGN-Guitars (FujiGen)

Zipslack

Reaction score
Don't forget that Fujigen-Gakki was responsible for the early Charvel Surfcasters....would love to see them come out with a similar model.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Nice thread! I have high regard for Fujigen; they made my Ibanez and I'd buy an FGN in a heartbeat. Great company.

red_bull

Reaction score
I had the chance to play the following guitars here in Germany last month at the same dealer:

LC 10 in white
LS 10 Lemon drop with zebra Humbuckers
LS 10 Cherry sunburst

The LC 10 really wasn´t good at all (binding wasn´t set very well, the finish wasn´t applied carefully etc). It also played like a piece of dead wood. Not very resonant, no good sustain.

The LS 10 Lemon drop was way better, craftmanship was good and it played well, but still didn´t keep up with a good Gibson Les Paul I came to play the same month.

The LS 10 in cherry sunburst was awesome, play, feel and craftmanship were very good, a fun instrument to play, Price was 999.- €. A nice guitar.

At the end of the day I came to the conclusion that FGN isn´t different to Gibson. There are dogs and there are awesome instruments, but after this experience I wouldn´t buy one blind.

Almost bought the sunburst one, but ended up with a Knaggs for double the price (and not looking back) :slash:

Cheers,

Captain T
That's about the fairest assessment Ive seen based on my experience with them, except for consistency. Here's what I've seen:

1. Finishes are mediocre at best
2. Stock FGN pickups are lacking, boderline acceptable, but still the weakest link on the guitar. I think most serious players would replace them. Or just buy a higher priced FGN that already comes with pickups from someone else.
3. Neck is great, fantastic playable shape and quality fretwork. This company really knows how to make a neck IMO ... this is their specialty. Much better than comparable brands like Edwards.
4. Build quality is excellent and consistent. They churn out a lot of guitars for themselves and other premium brands who sub-contract them. They have it down to a science, but without feeling "cookie cutter" either.

What I think explains this is that they save their best cosmetic work for sub-contracted premium brands, and same with pickups where they just use the minimum standard on FGN standard models. But build quality is build quality, and they're as consistent and good as it gets.

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
They make a wide range of guitars at different price points but I am surprised to hear the finishes had problems.
They have some very nice high end stuff too and I think the guy who built my semi-hollow Masterfield probably doesn't work on the LS-10s very often.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
2. Stock FGN pickups are lacking, boderline acceptable, but still the weakest link on the guitar. I think most serious players would replace them. Or just buy a higher priced FGN that already comes with pickups from someone else.
Just to update your knowledge a bit :D

They use Seymour Duncan pickups for most of their guitars, even the cheaper ones.....:lol:

red_bull

Reaction score
Just to update your knowledge a bit :D

The use Seymour Duncan pickups for most of their guitars, even the cheaper ones.....:lol:
Models I've tried j-standads and ncl's had FGN branded pups. I' posted earlier you can pay more and get non-FGN pup models. Unless you're telling me the FGN pups are made by SD and FGN just slaps their name on them. Either way they suck IMO

red_bull

Reaction score
No :dude:,
I tell you they use original SD pickups, even on their cheaper models...

All the one s I've tried have had FGN like this

Guitar Planet | Rakuten Global Market: FgN (FUJIGEN) NCLS-10R GT brand new gold [fujigen, Fuji-string] [home] [Gold Top, gold top, gold] [LP STD, Les Paul, Les Paul, electric guitar, Electric Guitar

The expert elan you posted isn't entry level. The tele says SD pups but not which model. I wonder if its that duncan designed you find on Jacksons I think, which again are terrible . anyway its just pups easy enough to change

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
The expert elan you posted isn't entry level.
keyword was: 'even' their cheaper models

The tele says SD pups but not which model.
reading gets you the answer

I wonder if its that duncan designed you find on Jacksons I think, which again are terrible . anyway its just pups easy enough to change
searching will make 'knowledge' out of 'thinking' and 'wondering'....:lol:
why do you even discuss those terrible things here :dude:

Steven

Reaction score
ADDED IN: Sorry Pete, I just noticed that the other links posted reference FGN- USA, I wasn't aware prior to posting this that the USA site was already listed in previous posts. I supplied the link to their US Online Store.

I am interested in the FGN guitars, because I know the company has a history of making excellent guitars. For those of you in the U.S.A. you might be interested in this site I've been reading. FGN USA site. All details for USA buyers are on this site. http://shop.fgnguitars.com/ This is the site for their USA Online Store
As listed under service section on bottom- (and I believe $100 minimum free shipping)

Delivery
You are currently shopping on our US site. All orders placed on this site will be dispatched within 3 business days from our US warehouse.
All shipping charges are calclated by weight and will be clearly shown on the checkout page.
We use UPS shipping services to get your goods to you ask quickly, safety and economicall as possible.
http://shop.fgnguitars.com/

red_bull

Reaction score
keyword was: 'even' their cheaper models

reading gets you the answer

searching will make 'knowledge' out of 'thinking' and 'wondering'....:lol:
why do you even discuss those terrible things here :dude:
fair enough, looks like some "real" Duncan's may be available on some (but clearly not all) of their lower priced models. I own that partial oversight, and will forever be shamed. :sadwave: Doesn't detract from my view that FGN brand pups suck :D

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the Fujigen pickups in general. Have had a great pair of the Alinco8s they use and prefer them to many SD pickups. Everyone has their own tastes of course and the basic sound of the guitar is also a pretty big factor.

red_bull

Reaction score
I like the Fujigen pickups in general. Have had a great pair of the Alinco8s they use and prefer them to many SD pickups. Everyone has their own tastes of course and the basic sound of the guitar is also a pretty big factor.
I agree, I take back my earlier comments. The pickups on the FGN I picked up are pretty good...not as good as best boutiques, but better than Gibson and many SD's too, which have become all too common

tekki

Reaction score
Ive played 2 a FGN strat with basswood and a FGN LP that costs about an LP studio

The FGN strat was rather disappointing, very Ibanez sounding, had absolutely nothing to do with how a strat would sound. just a benchmark of sort, it sounds like a cheap CIJ/MIJ basswood guitar. while i could see someone buy this for the sound, i think its cheaper to buy an ibanez RG550 which is made by FGN also.

The LP was boat anchor heavy, it was not too bad and better balanced than tone my own Gibson LP Classic. but at the price of a LP Studio, its a very hard sell, not because gibsons are better but because in this price range theres HUGE competition. you can get an ESP Eclipse, Tokais (which imho have about the same quality), PRS S2, Studio, etc etc.

i feel that they are good guitars, not great, considering that they make for some other brands, it might be easier and cheaper just to get the other brands instead

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
Les Trio Noir....

better pics as soon as possible....