Fender Twin w/factory JBL's anyone?

leofender55

Reaction score
I recently joined a local Rockabilly band and quickly discovered that my typical blues/rock amps didn't fit. I have been using my '62 Vibrolux and it sounds awesome, but I don't want to gig with it. A buddy found a very pristine '68/'69 Drip edge Twin with original JBL's. It has the JBL badge in front and the tube chart is AB763. I've done the research and these are pretty rare, with tons of clean headroom, perfect for my needs. The price is $1300 and it seems right.

Anyone have experience with this amp? I put JBL D120's in a Twin in the 80's and always loved the tone, but hated the weight.

As a note: I thought I'd play my '61 Tele for this band but the guitar that sounds best is my '89 Black Beauty with the Lawrence pups in it. A great sound through the Vibrolux. I'm hoping the Twin comes close.

Thanks.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wrong section to put this in. Needs to go to MLP Classified section. Contact a Mod and ask them to move for you to that section.

Z2112

Reaction score
I had a 68 twin with JBL speakers. It was loud as haties and very heavy. Best clean tone ever. $1,300 is a good price if it has been gone thru properly by a competent tech. If its all stock then expect to spend some moneys on it to replace the caps and upgrade to 3 prong power cord for safety. Lots of information on the Fenderguru site.

My friend uses a Fender Baseman Re Issue or a Standell or two in His Rockabilly band.

kakao

Reaction score
Do not rely on a Fender tube chart, period!
The circuit needs to be examined in order to ascertain the circuit iteration.
The JBL's are heavy as hell, making this already heavy amp unbearable heavy. It all depends on the state of your back, but I find many modern speakers to sound as good if not better than the old JBL's, with half of their weight.

bblooz

Reaction score
Wrong section to put this in. Needs to go to MLP Classified section. Contact a Mod and ask them to move for you to that section.
Not so fast, tazz man. I believe the OP was simply asking for opinions on the amp, as he was contemplating a purchase. His thread title was perhaps worded to the effect that he wanted one, so maybe he can edit that.

BTW, I think the Fender TRs are awesome for clean tone and headroom, if you can handle carrying them and have a venue that can take the volume!

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I just look at a twin and my back flares up. They sure do sound good though. Personally I think I prefer the clean from a Deluxe Reverb at 1/2 (1/4?) the weight. If you're not planning to move it much that's not as much of an issue.

Smolder

Reaction score
Killer amp/speaker combination. Played one all through high school. I've spent the last several years looking for a lower volume version... Don't mind the weight. That original JBL badge is worth something.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not so fast, tazz man. I believe the OP was simply asking for opinions on the amp, as he was contemplating a purchase. His thread title was perhaps worded to the effect that he wanted one, so maybe he can edit that.

BTW, I think the Fender TRs are awesome for clean tone and headroom, if you can handle carrying them and have a venue that can take the volume!
Oh well I thought he had one for sell.

0018g

Reaction score
I gig with a '66 with D120's. A roadcase with casters is a must.

I NEVER pick it up by myself.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
That's an AWESOME combo right there. You'll get killer tones out of that combo.

About 9-10 yrs. ago I was in a pawnshop and spotted a mid 70's SF Twin Reverb. The shell was really ragged out pretty badly. I turned the amp around and lo and behold is was loaded with orange basket JBL's in still in awesome shape.

I looked at the price, and they were asking $250. I knew I could get them down to probably $175 or so.

I realized I had no check, cash, or credit card. I told the sales guy to PLEASE hold the amp in the back for me and I'd be back in about 20 min. with cash.

I saw the guy move the amp behind the counter. I came back and with the cash, and he said someone bought it outright.

I really wanted to get really mad, but it was my own fault for not having the means on hand to hold or buy the amp.

I've NEVER let that happen to me ever again. I keep a credit card and a lot of cash on hand and always ready to deal.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
Killer amp.

The last amp Hendrix bought was a 1970 TR with JBL D120Fs in it. It came from Mannys.

I love jBLs of all Series.

Im currently running 2 x 1 x 12 Hemp coned E120s, among others. I also have some HCd E130s but they are super loud, and I rarely use them.

I use them with both a 69 Dual Showman Reverb, and my Metro GMP45. DS has been Blackfaced, and an ODS mod. Ive had it since 73.

I also sometimes run 4 x 12 Pulsonic cone Celestion G12Hs with the 2 x 1 x 12 E120s.

The TR's with the JBL Badges, are the most sought after of all. Killer Score.

Ive got a 69 Deluxe Rvb with original D120F

I also run the DS with 2 x 15 Altec Lansing 418H.

AlGZero

Reaction score
To the OP, one consideration is the production date of the amp you're looking at. '68 is the transition year from the "blackface" (763) circuit to the less-desirable "silverface" (568) circuit. '68s built before May, 1968 have the blackface circuit. There is a date stamp in the interior, but the easiest way to tell is to look for vertical black lines on the control panel. Those diappeared around the same time as the circuit changeover. I had an April, blackline amp with grey factory JBLs but no grill badge. The badge was a later feature and may indicate a silverface circuit. Still an awesome amp, but worth a bit less.

Pappy58

Reaction score
Short answer is no I wouldn't do that. Take it from someone who collects and restores old amps (mostly Fenders) it's a Boat anchor, too loud for most rooms, and bound to be temperamental if it has not been expertly and meticulously restored. If I was in your position I would go for 57 Bandmaster RI. The 5E7 circuit is best sounding pure amp every made IMO! Good luck whichever way you go. :thumb:

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
I love the sound of cooking JBLs in the morning.

I agree the JBL badge could very well be indicative of a Silverface. But they still sound great.

Like I said. Hendrix last amp purchase was a 1970 Twin Reverb with D120Fs in it. Good enough for Jimi. Good enough for me.

Jimi also used the Blackface Showman Circuit Amps, but with Silverface cosmetics, and no reverb at Monterey. He used a 66 JTM45/100 and 2 x Dual Showmans with 2 x 15 JBL D130F loaded cabinets.

So Jimi was also experimenting with JBLs very early on. Duane Allman, Betts also used the D120Fs.

They were also used exclusively in BB Kings Twin Reverbs. Wes Montgomery also liked them. Dick Dale.

I would also have it gone over by a Tech when I got it. Theyre also easy enough to have Blackfaced. I had my 69 Dual Showman BF'd, and an ODS mod. Its got about 20 hours on it. All NOS glass. Done by Richie Hall. Hall Amplification.

I think the Twin is going to sound much different than the Vibrolux. Much more low end, clean headroom, and no drive until ear splitting levels. Unless you use a pedal ect.

Id go for the Twin myself. IMHO the Twin sounds like a big clean amp through most of the volume range. Just more of it as it gets louder. Also at low volume it still has a lot of bottom end.

Twin is a killer pedal platform, and in general all around versatile amp. JBLs just make it that much better.

Also the Silverface Twin is 100 watts, and Blackface Is 85.

Steve Howe also used both Silverface Twin Reverbs/JBLs, and Dual Showmans/JBLs.

I also believe Eric Johnson has used/uses Both a Blackface/Silverface Deluxe Reverb/JBLs, at the same time. for cleans, and also Silverface Twin Reverbs/Dual Showmans with JBLs.

SRV used JBL E110s and E130s in his Super Reverbs/Vibroverbs.

Gary

Reaction score
Price seems steep to me but one has to factor in the price of the JBL D120F speakers. Figure the pair could be worth ~$500. That leaves the basic amp at ~$800. Bonus points if the amp has the original RCA glass. RCA 6L6GC blackplates quads could go $325 in value.

The amp will sound stellar but is going to be a heavy beast with those JBL speakers!

Six Gun

Reaction score
Price seems steep to me but one has to factor in the price of the JBL D120F speakers. Figure the pair could be worth ~$500. That leaves the basic amp at ~$800. Bonus points if the amp has the original RCA glass. RCA 6L6GC blackplates quads could go $325 in value.

The amp will sound stellar but is going to be a heavy beast with those JBL speakers!

The JBL D120F Speakers have been selling for big money in the last 2 months, 925.00 a pair, 850.00 a pair, 650.00 for one. The 999.00 a pair.
in the ebay finished auctions. I knew they were high but wow,

Awesome Pair JBL D120F Earliest Original 8ohm Fender Cones Near Mint Speakers | eBay

JBL D 120F 8 Ohm Speaker Original Cone Early 60s | eBay

JBL D120F Fender 12 inch Alnico Grey Actual Duane Allman Speaker No 5 | eBay

THDNUT

Reaction score
Why all the complaints about weight? Are you a bunch of girly men? That's what they make casters for.

I've never had a problem with a heavy amp, but then again I bench press 275 lbs. :D

[purple]

Latest Threads