Fender Tonemaster Super Reverb

rich85

Reaction score
This is actually quite interesting. It has 4 10" Jensen Alnico speakers so its almost impossible for this not to sound pretty amazing once you start pushing the volume. And it only weighs 15kg/30 pounds.

I hope a 2x10 Vibrolux Tonemaster is coming out soon.
Screenshot_20210709-080157_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I've owned a Silverface Super Reverb (converted to Blackface circuitry) for decades.
It's a very powerful amp.
And it's ridiculously heavy.
Especially if it has casters under it and you're trying to climb two flight of stairs
to get to the gig on the third floor. Ask me how I know...
I'd love to find a Deluxe Reverb to bridge the gap with my Princeton Reverb 12 watts.
These amps are addictive.

Now whether the new 200 watts transistor ones sound the same as the 45 watts tube ones I don't know.
But I would bet they don't.
How many times have we been told that in the last 40 years?
Mosfet's and shit never even got close.
At stage volume in 4 x 12 cabs, every pretender crapped (clipped) out.

I have owned and played transistor amps and got a decent tone out of them
but tube amps tone they didn't have. I've had the pleasure of using some good sounding
modeling amps live and they were ok for a small gig in the mix.

I will try them out if I ever get a chance but in the meantime I'll keep sitting on my skeptic seat!

:thumb:

rich85

Reaction score
I've owned a Silverface Super Reverb (converted to Blackface circuitry) for decades.
It's a very powerful amp.
And it's ridiculously heavy.
Especially if it has casters under it and you're trying to climb two flight of stairs
to get to the gig on the third floor. Ask me how I know...
I'd love to find a Deluxe Reverb to bridge the gap with my Princeton Reverb 12 watts.
These amps are addictive.

Now whether the new 200 watts transistor ones sound the same as the 45 watts tube ones I don't know.
But I would bet they don't.
How many times have we been told that in the last 40 years?
Mosfet's and shit never even got close.
At stage volume in 4 x 12 cabs, every pretender crapped (clipped) out.

I have owned and played transistor amps and got a decent tone out of them
but tube amps tone they didn't have. I've had the pleasure of using some good sounding
modeling amps live and they were ok for a small gig in the mix.

I will try them out if I ever get a chance but in the meantime I'll keep sitting on my skeptic seat!

:thumb:

To be honest I wasn't a fan of the Tonemaster stuff as it simply doesn't sound identical to the tube versions at all. Like Fender pretend they do.

But i guess you need to approach them with the trade off in mind, if you want the amp to be half the weight you have to accept its going to sound different.

They do still have the sound of those classic Fender Blackface era amps. The biggest thing I have found with them is they actually sound crap at low volumes. You really need to get the speaker moving and they do sound good.

dmac in SC

Reaction score
I have played a Tonemaster Deluxe side by side with my (reissue) tube version, and the tone is not really in the same ballpark with the tube version. It is good, and very convenient if you are wanting go direct into the PA or recording interface, but it is not the same. It is just not.

I would love to try one of the Tonemaster Supers, but I suspect the result will be the same.

Now, the reissue tube Fenders are the real stinking deal! They are heavy and expensive, but WTF, the sound is incredible. I have not seen the price of the new Super tonemasters, but I suspect that you could score yourself an original '65 or '66 Bandmaster head and piece together a cab for equal or less than the asking price.

Tube amps are just superior (in my opinion) because you get so much control of tone simply from pick attack, or finger attack, depending on your style. It just does not happen with any SS amps I have ever played.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Such negativity! I own a Tone Master Twin Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. To me the feel is the same, but they’re obviously different amps. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the Super. Have you all read the user reviews at Sweetwater or one of the other dealers?

Latest Threads