Fender Stratocaster Itch

sidepartings26

Reaction score
I have totally got the itch to get a strat, either an American standard or deluxe. I think I want an alder one (I don't really know much about it) but that rules out the sienna sunburst (ash) which is the only colour I like.

I don't know about the deluxe vs standard, it has cobalt noiseless pickups I do know, does that mean they are quiet even when not in positions 2 and 4.

I have no money, but I feel like lumping it on the credit card I can't explain it.

Anyone able to give me a quick summary about what to look out for/options available with USA strats that DON'T have any humbuckers (like texas hot rod etc)?

Duffy

Reaction score
Musciansfriend.com, no affltn, has the American Deluxe series guitars on sale for 1199, the price that the American Stds were selling for.

You could get an American Deluxe Strat or Tele for a real great price that I'm sure won't last long.

What does it mean? You get Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups and the S1 switching system that allows for lots of different sounds, it gets a series parallel thing going.

I played one and wanted to buy it for 600 used, they were new for 1500 just a month ago. It sounded so great. Really mellow tones are there as well as traditional twanging strat tones. Definitely a class act guitar.

I have a new American Standard Strat that I like a lot but would love to pick up one of these deluxes at the deal price. Absolutely.

Duffy

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Go play a few.

IMO it is worth the extra $$ to get a Strat with a Nitro finish - but that is just my personal preference.

PINKBITS

Reaction score
The current American Standards are excellent.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recently got bit by the Strat bug as well. Picked up a Clapton Custom Shop Blackie from Jimmy Wallace Guitars in Texas last week. I've owned a few Strats and this one has the best neck I've ever played (at least on a Strat).

sidepartings26

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I have figured a few things out:

/In the UK, the deluxe is about £75 - £100 more than the standard (about $110 - $160)
/The Cobalt Noiselss pickups seem to be worth having for the price, and so does the S1 system which gives way more tonal options
/I can get a stratocaster with an alder on ash body (like the sienna sunburst - my favourite colour). Alder is mellower and mid-rangey. Ash has a tight low end and more highs, sort of more aggressive and airier (summary of forum posts read elsewhere by owners of both)

I'm going to play a few this weekend. I think I will definately be looking for a deluxe, probably alder tobacco sunburst as my amps are both aggressive enough and I like mellow strats. It's a shame there is not much used on ebay (.co.uk or .com) and that the UK second market seems to be a bit sparse!

Iancognito

Reaction score
It's a shame there is not much used on ebay (.co.uk or .com) and that the UK second market seems to be a bit sparse!
Yes been noticing that myself recently. No one seems to be selling and if they do they want a lot of money for them!

sidepartings26

Reaction score
Yes been noticing that myself recently. No one seems to be selling and if they do they want a lot of money for them!
Same with everything. Been on the look out for attenuators and amps for a few weeks. Nothing! It's a shame gumtree and craigslist don't seem to be up and going here like they seem to be in the US! Maybe there's a gap in the market :hmm:

sidepartings26

Reaction score
I tried out 6 USA standards today. 1 was just WAY WAY nicer than the others. It was in white, I'm not keen on white, wanted a sunburst, but It was the nicest strat, if not the nicest guitar I've ever heard. The guy would not match the web price and was out by about £100 ($160 probably). I overheard him telling his pal it was "nicer than your bla bla bla...amazing"

The thing is there was no deluxe in the shop. I'll hopefully try one tomorrow in the town 30 minutes the other way. The guy was saying you know there is not much difference, the cobalt pickups are not as nice and over-complicated, the tuners make no difference etc etc. The deluxe is only £100 more most places (i.e how much he is 'overcharging' me). In other words:

Is the deluxe worth having?

FredC

Reaction score
I'd sell you mine but I probably want too much $$ for it. Its a 2004 50th Anniversary. They've been eBaying for up to $1,900.. I could probably be talked into $1,700.

Duffy

Reaction score
A Fender standard is 1100 to 1500 or so here in the States and the deluxes are usually 1400 and above depending where you get them and if they match the web.

However, Musciansfriend.com has the deluxes in certain colors for the price of a std., 1199 US dollars. Maybe they ship to your area. The vintage white with a cool pearl pickguard. The vintage white is a yellow type color of an aged vintage strat. They had silver metallic as well. You would have to email them, check their website.

I have a brand new American Standard Strat and it is alder and is very bright and chimmey. It is possible that the ash one is brighter but I wouldn't expect by much.

As to the Deluxe. I played one and the samarian cobalts are really really nice pickups but do not have the brightness of the Standard. This deluxe was used for 600, well worn out frets but still playable, maybe it just had a fret leveling. Played like the best strat I have ever played. Great tone but not like the Am. Std., not chimmey and as bright and the deluxe was a V neck and I believe it was an ash body and it was antique burst type color with maple board. Just didn't have the 600 or I would have had it, no lay away on consignment sales and it was gone in a few days.

I would like to get a deluxe at this sale price MF has but have some other items I want to get, including a pricey Nikon digital SLR and an extra tele lens.

I am also considering the deluxe telecaster w the samarium cobalts and S1. I need a really good tele.

Yeah, the Fender Americans cost at least about 1000 US dollars for the Specials, Americans Stds at MF on sale for 1000, but usually 1200, deluxes 1500 or 1600. Gibsons are way higher except for the entry level ones.

Duffy

Duffy

Reaction score
Some pictures of my brand new American Standard with anaconda pickguard:

Matt.Madoni

Reaction score
Some pictures of my brand new American Standard with anaconda pickguard:

(snip)

Wow... I honestly really don't like strats at all, look and sound, with the exception of clean tones, but that is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I have figured a few things out:

/In the UK, the deluxe is about £75 - £100 more than the standard (about $110 - $160)
/The Cobalt Noiselss pickups seem to be worth having for the price, and so does the S1 system which gives way more tonal options
/I can get a stratocaster with an alder on ash body (like the sienna sunburst - my favourite colour). Alder is mellower and mid-rangey. Ash has a tight low end and more highs, sort of more aggressive and airier (summary of forum posts read elsewhere by owners of both)

I'm going to play a few this weekend. I think I will definately be looking for a deluxe, probably alder tobacco sunburst as my amps are both aggressive enough and I like mellow strats. It's a shame there is not much used on ebay (.co.uk or .com) and that the UK second market seems to be a bit sparse!
Stop fretting (like what I did there?) over stuff like what the body is made of.
Go to the store and play them.
Or pick the one you like from a gut feeling.
Most likely, either way you'll be happy.
You fingers won't know alder from ash and probably neither will your ears.

J076

Reaction score
I tried out 6 USA standards today. 1 was just WAY WAY nicer than the others.

<snip>

Is the deluxe worth having?
I have a friend with a deluxe. He spends more time frigging with the S1 switch than he spends actually playing the guitar. If you really really really like this Standard (and it sounds like you do) I would say go for it, don't look back. However, if you want to sit there pushing the button, by all means hold out for a deluxe.

Duffy

Reaction score
Appreciate the compliment Matt Madoni. I spent some time picking out a great guard that would go really well with the Blizzard Pearl finish. The Anaconda snakeskin really blends well with the color and brings out the hues of the Blizzard Pearl.

The guitar is incredible with really low action and super great tone. It has the no load switching system that also adds to the tonal palate, but it is a true strat at heart with hot single coil pups.

I should post a picture of my new Fender Telecaster Special Issue FMT HH in black cherry flame. It's solid mahogany, unusual for a tele, with a set mahogany neck and Seymour Duncan full humbuckers; Pearly Gates in the bridge and 59 in the neck, both open coil. Coil splitting. The tone on this guitar is incredible, truly incredible. The action is super low and the rosewood board adds to the tone. The color is incredible and it plays like you wouldn't believe. Suits me just fine.

But I still want to get a really good tele and that deal on the deluxe tele for the cost of a standard is very tempting. I don't imagine that deal will be around for long. Only certain colors are available and the tele is in sienna burst.

Latest Threads