Fender players who use all of the 5 pickup switches, what do you hear in them?

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Neck and middle. Never bridge really

sonar

Reaction score
1,3 & 5.

The bridge has always been the most difficult for me to dial in, but it's used for a lot of stuff.

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I stumble on the middle, but don't use it often.

Neck position is always an easy fallback.

I never voluntarily play out of phase (2 & 4) unless I'm trying to learn a particular part by ear that calls for it. In general I kinda hate that tone.

If I want noise cancelling I'll grab a guitar with a humbucker.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I mostly use the neck, followed by bridge. I will sometimes use mid and bridge for some quack, but not very often.

jc2000

Reaction score
I am new to the fender selector switch, but so far I love the middle mixed with the bridge PU and the bridge PU with the tone rolled back half way.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
The 09 Am Dlx S-1 SCN doesn't quack like a vintage Skrat but I don't care.... When you push that button inside the Volume knob perimeter, all kinds of cool shit happens in every position... I don't miss the thin nasal quack at all...

Totally different guitar with the S-1....and the SCN pickups.... I likes em big time.... Some don't I think because the quack ain't close to the same as normal.... What IS there is nads like cantaloupes...

My other Skrats give me the quack in spades if I want it.... This one is a far better and versatile guitar to me.... and plays like a dream....

dro

Reaction score
Only have one Strat left. Its my sons 2000 MIM. He's in the service and left it with me. Said he never played it. Me being a Gibson guy. Les Paul, Sg mainly Vintage G&L. Fender just never did it for me. So I've been hot rodding this Strat for the last couple years now. Just finished last night. Did a little different profile wiring the switch. Seymore Duncan Little 59 pickups wired full humbucker. I have no need for coil splitting. Sperzel locking tuners. Calaham bridge. Gilmoure short trem arm. blackstrat.JPG
Switching
Pos 1 Bridge
Pos 2 Bridge / Neck
Pos 3 Neck
Pos 4 Neck / Middle
Pos 5 Middle
I thought about doing a blender, as the neck and bridge is something I was really after/ But don't want too many adjustments. Haven't set pickup height yet. Just finished about !;30 AM. Filed and polished the frets. Feels really really nice.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
On mine, I have the middle position with the neck + bridge. I never use the middle alone.

Phil W

Reaction score
Every one of those 5 options has appeared on many hit records over many decades.
I use them all but (from the top looking down) 1,2,3,4 mostly. 1 is good for power lead, 2 and 4 are phase positions (try Sultans of Swing using 2).

kakerlak

Reaction score
Middle position is such a pure/neutral sound -- good strat middle will sound almost like an acoustic guitar. Good strat 2/4 will sound bouncy/glassy, bridge is brilliant and neck has a good deep/rich sound, but nice and bright/clear throughout the range with a good shimmer on everything. A good strat is a happy sounding guitar, even if you play mean things with it, if that makes sense.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Don't have a Fender, but a 73 Arai copy. 1,2 and 4 are my go to "start" tone. I hate the bridge as a single coil. On my Ibanez RGRS440, I added a push/pull to give me neck and bridge, and all three together, along with a coil tap on the bridge humbucker.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I swap the neck and middle pickups so 2 (counting from bridge setting) gives me neck/bridge. I love Strats, but their wiring is bizarre to me.