Fender players who use all of the 5 pickup switches, what do you hear in them?

ARandall

Reaction score
Strats respond in a way you just can't get out of a Les Paul......the trem is another aspect that I really love (equally a LP does things a strat can't).
But personally I have 'moods', where I play in certain styles or certain guitar types exclusively for a portion of time. Much the same way I listen to music really.

thxphotog

Reaction score
Les Paul in the bridge through a Marshall and a Strat at the neck (or #4) through a Fender amp are both tonal bliss. Two very different children that I love equally.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not much into Strats as a player (love listening to Hendrix, SRV, Knopfler, etc. play them) but, when I do play a Strat, it's all about the neck pickup. To me, hitting a big 6-string-chord and wobbling that trem arm around through the neck pickup, into a big cleanish amp with some spring reverb - that's what sounds right! Or even creeping up the frets on the lower strings playing single notes through the neck pickup - the notes get all chewy and gooey but stay pristinely clean. I love that. The other positions are just sort of accents / effects / almost gimmicky, so my style.

brianbzed

Reaction score
I only use the pickup switch on the bottom setting, or the second to last one facing up. I don't like the tone of the other placements, almost never give them a chance.
I'd like to know why you are attracted to specific ones and for what reasons. Again, I'm referring to 5 way pickup switches! Do you use all of them?
I rarely play my Strat...my Tele gets much more time. All positions on the Strat? Nope....2,4 & 5 for leads....

anorton

Reaction score
1, 3, and 5 are my favorites. 2 and 4 are useful for certain stuff. I love my Strat. Great studio/session guitar.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
From what I understand Eric Clapton, Ritchie Blackmore, and Alex Lifeson either completely remove or at least disconnect the middle pickup on their strats.

I'm kinda curious now.
Anyone out there with 3 pickups on their Les Paul find that the middle pickup is Killer and can't live without it ? Or is it just a cosmetic thing.

ACE or Frampton LP's have this don't they?

GT1

Reaction score
Ace only uses the bridge pickup.
The Budokan model came stock with the neck and the middle pick up disconnected.
The Richie Blackmore model comes stock with a dummy middle pickup, leaving only the neck and bridge single coils active.

spoony

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I do find wrangling three pups can be a little more complex but find the experience quite enjoyable. Since these switches can be wired differently it is hard to answer your question. I do love to get a nice quacky twang, that is probably my favorite, where ever that position lies.

s

LocoTex

Reaction score
Clapton is really playing his middle pickup.

Reactions: ehb

Roxy13

Reaction score
On my Strats I tend to use all the settings at one point or another,.... a lot of useful tone there. A good amp will make those tones even better....
I agree, I use all of them. Just depends on what tone I'm looking for for whatever I'm working on.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I understand Eric Clapton, Ritchie Blackmore, and Alex Lifeson either completely remove or at least disconnect the middle pickup on their strats.

I'm kinda curious now.
Anyone out there with 3 pickups on their Les Paul find that the middle pickup is Killer and can't live without it ? Or is it just a cosmetic thing.

ACE or Frampton LP's have this don't they?
I don’t think that LP’s middle pup is wired to play alone. But, I live on the Strat’s middle pickup for rhythm, use bridge mostly for leads. The middle pup sounds almost like the middle position on a Tele to me. I play Fenders for the jangle and chime and Gibsons for the growl and roar. I play covers mostly and I pick different guitars for different styles. All guitars are good and can be made to work on almost any type of song but it’s more fun having a bunch of them.

jojo

Reaction score
Hendrix is God. Neck position is only reason to own a strat.

Mockbel

Reaction score
1 and 5 mostly for me.. so I replaced the SSS puckguard with an HS one :fingersx:

Dick Banks

Reaction score
I only use the pickup switch on the bottom setting, or the second to last one facing up. I don't like the tone of the other placements, almost never give them a chance.
I'd like to know why you are attracted to specific ones and for what reasons. Again, I'm referring to 5 way pickup switches! Do you use all of them?
Strat 5-way:
1-High Gain, closest to Humbucker tone
2-The "quack," I'm here 90% of the time
3-Got no use for that one
4-Great strat tone without the "quack"
5-Good for mellow solos

GT1

Reaction score
1 and 5 mostly for me.. so I replaced the SSS puckguard with an HS one :fingersx:
My next Strat build will definitely be with 1 single coil in the neck and a Humbucker in the bridge.
So much fun!

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
PUPs and tone are a hugely subjective...

For many years, I used to live largely in position 2, sometimes 1 and occasionally 4, rarely used the neck or middle pickups alone. Now I have a better amp and can discern the tonal variations, I'm much more inclined to use ALL five Strat selector positions and to really play with both volume and tone on the guitar to tweak the sounds.

I find that they're potentially all very useable sounds but tones and sound preferences are a very personal thing.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I use them all, plus the super useful blender knob for a seemingly endless variety of tones.

I put the blender pot in the middle position.

Blender.png

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
My strats are all 3 way switches in fact i replaced them from the 5 way selector. I feel like when you got a 5 way most ppl just use the 2 and the 4 with a 3 way switch you use all 3.... But honestly yes i use all 5 positions...i been using the 1 2 and 3 mostly... the middle to me is the hardest to get right n the middle is what gets the quack out of 2 and 4 if you know what to do.