Fender players who use all of the 5 pickup switches, what do you hear in them?

seormitu

Reaction score
I only use the pickup switch on the bottom setting, or the second to last one facing up. I don't like the tone of the other placements, almost never give them a chance.
I'd like to know why you are attracted to specific ones and for what reasons. Again, I'm referring to 5 way pickup switches! Do you use all of them?

freak

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
2nd and 4th usually. Others sound kind of brittle, and have added hum. I like a more 'even', smoother sound.

There is a forum here for fender guitars, You may get more traction there, imo.

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
When I had a Strat, I wired it so I could have independent tone control when both the middle and bridge pickups were on.

I couldn't get the Strat to sound like I wanted, so I traded it for a PRS. That's listed on FB marketplace because I'll never play that one out either.

That said, my friend's Strat is one of the best sounding guitars, clean or dirty, I've heard.

To quote the eminent Buggs Bunny, "Screwy, ain't it?"

ARandall

Reaction score
Mostly amps being set incorrectly, or being set only for 1 type of sound is what leads to people having issue with most of the sounds that a guitar can make.
Of course some only like bridge pickups, or indeed neck pickups. But typically if you gave someone a well balanced amp tone, a guitar where the pickups and electrics were set up well so the tones were useful, and the courage to use the knobs so they got the most out of every setting.....I feel that more players would find way more useful tones out of their guitars in ways they couldn't have thought possible.
There is that great vid of Bonamassa showing the range even a 2 pickup guitar has. The strat has even more versatility.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
On my Strats I tend to use all the settings at one point or another,.... a lot of useful tone there. A good amp will make those tones even better....

scozz

Reaction score
Ok, I thought I hit the wrong section here!!! :hmm:

I prefer the 1st and the 5th settings. I love the neck pickup on my Strat especially for Blues, and some Hendrix tunes.

Also the bridge pickup is a recent new like of mine, since this Strat has the tone knob working for all the pickup selections. Another thing, this Strat has a Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless loaded pickguard, so all positions are quiet.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you watch guys like SRV and Rory Gallagher, they are on the tone and volume knobs what seems like nearly every phrase. All settings are great when you know how to use them. They'll not be so wonderful if you think tone and volume knobs are "set and forget" controls.

61LPSG

Reaction score
I mostly use positions 4 (middle/neck), and 5 (neck).

Try posting this in the Fender section for more feedback, and to avoid the trolls.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use em all....

For rhythm stuff, the two quacks or the neck positions...
For solos, any of em for different stuff.... I like the middle position very much.... Watched a Clapton show and he was soloing in the middle so I started playing around with all the settings and comparing to middle.... It has an interesting color to it, in comparison to other positions... They are all good for different things...

Some Skrat players I know pretty much stay on the neck with amp eq'd for it... Rarely any other... Those are usually former Gib folks that got tired of the weight of Lesters/etc., and figured out that Skrat neck and even Tele neck in a hot amp can get a Lester type tone cranked...

TradPro2

Reaction score
Did’t this used to be a Les Paul forum? Fender is a dirty word to me unless it refers to a car part. I’m headed over to the their forum to ask about my neck tenon
===============================================

Well it used to be a Les Paul forum but things have changed, PRS questions coming up soon!!

• Haha
Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did’t this used to be a Les Paul forum? Fender is a dirty word to me unless it refers to a car part. I’m headed over to the their forum to ask about my neck tenon
===============================================

Well it used to be a Les Paul forum but things have changed, PRS questions coming up soon!!

We have become all inclusive.... and a couple of mods wear man-buns and shit.... Not gonna say which......

Still no cake, though....

dro

Reaction score
Played G&L up until I got my first Les Paul. When I finally got a Strat , first was American Standard. Didn't have what I wanted. Then got a American Deluxe. Couldn't find the tone there either. Needless to say only Strat I have now is a heavily modded MiM that I still don't play.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
Any guitar is only as articulate as the guy playing it. Personally I find that I can be more expressive with single coilds, particularly P90s. But with a little exploration, the Strat will deliver such a variety of tones, it's easy to see why they're so popular.
But, if you just want to trash Strats, TDPRI is the place to go. Just saying.

dcurran87

Reaction score
I love my 2008 MIA standard. The neck position with just a little bit of breakup is truly a wonderful sound. It makes me play with much better dynamics for sure. Position 4 quack is great fun clean and with a bit of wah.

I much prefer the bridge position on my MIM though, something grittier about the ceramic pickups...

But despite all of the above....crank some dirt and plug in my 2018 Classic GT with P90's and just watch my grin get wider :D

Totally different animals which I suppose is the point, otherwise we'd all have no reason for "just one more" ;)

Rocknme

Reaction score
I've always loved the 1,3, 5 settings, but I've never been a big fan of 2 or 4. I guess that those in-between settings are good for when there is too much hum going on (Strat middle pickups are usually RWRP). My favorites are 5 for cleaner playing and 1 for distortion. I do use the middle pickup a lot, but I'm noticing that I'm using it less every year (I've been playing Strats for decades). I now can definitely say that I use the middle less than the neck.

gball

Reaction score
I've always loved the 1,3, 5 settings, but I've never been a big fan of 2 or 4. I guess that those in-between settings are good for when there is too much hum going on (Strat middle pickups are usually RWRP). My favorites are 5 for cleaner playing and 1 for distortion. I do use the middle pickup a lot, but I'm noticing that I'm using it less every year (I've been playing Strats for decades). I now can definitely say that I use the middle less than the neck.
Same here. Actually, pretty much 1 and 5. I've even put 3-way switches in guitars because I dislike the 2 and 4 positions so much.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the hum on the singles *drummer will drown it out, but I love the quack positions for some stuff...

I think the quacks ARE the 'Skrat Tonez'.... Be interesting to see #s on N, NM, M, MB, B individually as in rank of use....

To each his own... Some actually like pumpkin spice, Natty Light, and Notre Dame football...... One of em is from Kaintuck, and I can't remember where the other one was from...

:cool: