Fender Player Series Strat fret buzz

5F6-A

Reaction score
I was adjusting my son's Fender Mexican Strat and I was puzzled. The relief was fine (12") at the 7th fret, string height was a happy medium too (0.07" at 17th fret). Intonation was spot on and it sounds great. Nut looks okay. Only problem is mainly the 6th string buzzes on every fret from the 1st all the way to the end of the fretboard. It's probably worst around the 3rd to 6th fret. I compared to my own Strat and mine has none of this.

Also I measured from the top of the first fret to the bottom of the sixth string. It was 0.010" gap rather than 0.020" as specified by Fender. Could this be the reason?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Sounds like uneven fret leveling. A lot of people comepare cheaper guitars to expensive guitars and instantly say that the price tag is why one is better than the other. Truthfully, there is just less setup work and fine details that mim fender has vs American/custom shop. $500 dollar squier has no less playing value than a 5k+ custom master built. The only difference is lack of detail. Pretty sure that a fret leveling, crowning and polishing would fix it. A lit of people try using a measuring beam with sandpaper stuck to it to level. Not bad, but also not consistent with the radius. I recommend getting a radiused fret beam from stewmac. I'll say that they are not cheap, but they are solid blocks of wood, sanded on the bottom to match fretboard radius, so when you attach sandpaper and get to work, you don't have to worry about lower spots or higher spots. It's all the same if you are giving equal attention across the fretboard. I've never done this personally, but I plan on doing it to my Les Paul after a refret to add vintage thin gibson style frets on there. Really wide and really thin. Gives a closer feeling to the fretboard. I have a strange mental thing with being comforted and supported. To I guess this mental problem translates into the neck? Idk but it's pretty cool. I tie my shoes too tight, I drive with the seat too close to the wheel, I play my guitar so high with the strap that it tilts backwards as it sits on my ribs etc. But anyway no matter how much you prepare for something, it will never replace hands on experience. And look at it this way. If you mess up once, frets aren't really that expensive. If you feel better paying a local guitar tech/luthier to find out the problem for you, then that's ok, but learning to do this stuff Dave's a lot of time, money, and prevents you from getting scammed by those select few luthiers that just make you do unnecessary extra for more money.

I was adjusting my son's Fender Mexican Strat and I was puzzled. The relief was fine (12") at the 7th fret, string height was a happy medium too (0.07" at 17th fret). Intonation was spot on and it sounds great. Nut looks okay. Only problem is mainly the 6th string buzzes on every fret from the 1st all the way to the end of the fretboard. It's probably worst around the 3rd to 6th fret. I compared to my own Strat and mine has none of this.

Also I measured from the top of the first fret to the bottom of the sixth string. It was 0.010" gap rather than 0.020" as specified by Fender. Could this be the reason?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have my nut slots that low on the bass E so I don't think that is it. It's always hard to say without seeing it. But level frets are always a good thing to check right away.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I probably need a refrett mine are pretty flat , but I really dont mind right now , seems smooth and easy to play.

Adieu

Reaction score
Low nut slot or might need a neck shim to angle it a bit

Or perhaps just needs a heavier string for that action - try a heavier string or jack up the 6th saddle a bit first

PS or uneven frets also possible

5F6-A

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Problem solved!!! The neck needed just a touch more relief and saddles set a smidgen higher. Both almost nothing and voila, the guitar came alive whilst keeping 99% of already great playability. It's amazing, set up is a bit like tuning. If it's off, even by a tiny bit, it sounds awful. Get it in the sweet spot and the magic returns.

Thank you everyone!!!

Oddball667

Reaction score
Got my karma for being a smart ass , now my Jackson is buzzing around the 10th lol .

Latest Threads