Fender Modern Player Plus

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Anyone else out there own one of these Fender Tele's? I believe these to be one of their best deals going back then. Coming stock with an original pine wood body and a transparent black finish or a honeyburst type of finish. Not too mention, it's hard to find one now for under $500 when initially they sold for only $399. So the increase in resale value is impressive. The only complaint I had was the weak and uninspiring pickups. But that was an easy fix...None the less it's a very versatile guitar and nearly flawless build for very little money.

Thoughts on these?
1621611749918.png

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Swiss Army Knife of guitars.

Picked up mine used. I agree that the platform is sweet, yet the stock pups are uninspiring at best.

MHD Straitjacket bridge
DAllen Johnny Hiland Sixshooter middle
Analogman Jim Weider neck

20210521_144605a.jpg

(Better pics coming after camera battery charges)

Dig the belly cut, and the neck is one of my favorites. I grew up on a lacquered maple fingerboard, so that part feels like home. Not a big fan of the modern C, preferring rounder, thicker profiles. The V is nice. Comfortable radius.

The pine body seems light and resonant. The finish has a nice luster, and the tinted transparency makes grain gazing very easy on the eyes. Glad it came with a black scratchplate.

Tonally covers a lot ground as expected. Once I figured out the coil split switch wiring and tinkered with polarity, plenty of new tonal options opened up. Heavy humbucker thump to jangly jenky, skanky clank through baleful wails and so much more..

The Tele neck is my favorite neck tone, and this AM/JW adds a juicy sweet chime to an already glassy tone. it's output is the best balance I've found for a Tele humbcker. The DA/JH strat middle mixes well with the others. I may try bypassing the tone pot like the Eric Johnson sig strat. Raine's humbucker speaks for itself. He wound some mighty fine pick ups. It blends well with the others, has the output to split nicely and is responsive to the volume pot in both modes.

If I had to pick a desert island guitar, this would be a top contender. Can it do it all, no. But it is really satisfying with what it does, and it can do a lot! It doesn't hurt that it does a few favorite tones extremely well.

For me, there's something endearing about a Pinecaster. And this one packs a lot of win in a rugged, earnest package. The original price point and used value when I found it adds another layer of win..

Last edited:

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Awesome I'm glad to hear there are others that can appreciate this particular guitar for what it is.
I most definitely agree with you on all your pros and cons as listed and am interested in the pickups you've mentioned. I loaded mine with all Dimarzios but am always curious about these brands i've never played with.
I may have to try out the Jim Weider neck pickup you mentioned because even my Dimarzio still lacks some volume and I don't like pushing the pup all the way up to the strings. Going to check Youtube to see if there are any reviews on them.
Thanks for the comment!

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Awesome I'm glad to hear there are others that can appreciate this particular guitar for what it is.
I most definitely agree with you on all your pros and cons as listed and am interested in the pickups you've mentioned. I loaded mine with all Dimarzios but am always curious about these brands i've never played with.
I may have to try out the Jim Weider neck pickup you mentioned because even my Dimarzio still lacks some volume and I don't like pushing the pup all the way up to the strings. Going to check Youtube to see if there are any reviews on them.
Thanks for the comment!
Here is a direct link to the neck pup..

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Anyone else out there own one of these Fender Tele's? I believe these to be one of their best deals going back then. Coming stock with an original pine wood body and a transparent black finish or a honeyburst type of finish. Not too mention, it's hard to find one now for under $500 when initially they sold for only $399. So the increase in resale value is impressive. The only complaint I had was the weak and uninspiring pickups. But that was an easy fix...None the less it's a very versatile guitar and nearly flawless build for very little money.

Thoughts on these?
View attachment 539086
meeeeaaann lookin Tele!!!!!!!

Latest Threads