Fender Mod Shop Stratocaster?

pillbug

Reaction score
What’s the deal with these. Where do the fit in the line relative to Special - Standard - Deluxe - Ultra - Elite - etc?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
What’s the deal with these. Where do the fit in the line relative to Special - Standard - Deluxe - Ultra - Elite - etc?
I think they are based on the professional line. Not professionals themselves but based. I was very exited to design either a jazmaster and Jaguar with either a two tone burst or sonic blue with a tortoise pick guard. However, the wiring and electronics are both based on the professional series at least in appearance. To me the whole point of a Jaguar and jazz master is to have a mix of unique pickups and unique electronics. To me the professional series takes that away. As a guy wanting the true fender experience, I’d personally stay away from the mod shop UNLESS you want to retain resale value. If you take a strat and change everything it’ll lose value, but if you design it yourself on the midshop and have proof, it shouldn’t sell for a lot less. The jazz and jag are my only negatives though. The strat and tele stay true pretty good. Check out troglysguitarshow. On YouTube. He designed one got it shipped and reviewed the quality.

pillbug

Reaction score
I think they are based on the professional line. Not professionals themselves but based. I was very exited to design either a jazmaster and Jaguar with either a two tone burst or sonic blue with a tortoise pick guard. However, the wiring and electronics are both based on the professional series at least in appearance. To me the whole point of a Jaguar and jazz master is to have a mix of unique pickups and unique electronics. To me the professional series takes that away. As a guy wanting the true fender experience, I’d personally stay away from the mod shop UNLESS you want to retain resale value. If you take a strat and change everything it’ll lose value, but if you design it yourself on the midshop and have proof, it shouldn’t sell for a lot less. The jazz and jag are my only negatives though. The strat and tele stay true pretty good. Check out troglysguitarshow. On YouTube. He designed one got it shipped and reviewed the quality.
Thanks. I didn’t realize it was a build to order line. That explains why I’m seeing so much variation in these guitars and their prices.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Thanks. I didn’t realize it was a build to order line. That explains why I’m seeing so much variation in these guitars and their prices.
No prob. Pretty good combinations though

peobryant

Reaction score
I'm not too knowledgeable on Fender, does the Mod Shop use nitro for their finishes or poly? I've been thinking about ordering a hardtail strat, but would prefer a nitro finish and I'm not sure if they use that.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I'm not too knowledgeable on Fender, does the Mod Shop use nitro for their finishes or poly? I've been thinking about ordering a hardtail strat, but would prefer a nitro finish and I'm not sure if they use that.
Most of their finishes consist of urethane finishes. This is far different from polyurethane but it is different than poly or nitro. Nitro is weaker than the two hints the aging properties that nitro contains. Urethane more durable and stronger than nitro but malleable which is probably why fender started using it. A lot of automotive paints are urethane based for this reason. Basically as wood moves and dries and can cause a nitro finish to check and if not from movement, old age can cause this too. Polyurethane is similar to urethane except it’s more of a “fixed position” finish that is better to use on something that would remain a lot stiffer and still through its lifetime. Both poly and urethane paints are still polymers but poly is a little “harder” but with that advantage, it is also more likely to crack instead of bend with the guitar should it shift. Pretty much, urethane is technically better in the since of having a reliable finish except it won’t check over time like nitro. At least as easily. But this is what I know. Hope this helps.

peobryant

Reaction score
Most of their finishes consist of urethane finishes. This is far different from polyurethane but it is different than poly or nitro. Nitro is weaker than the two hints the aging properties that nitro contains. Urethane more durable and stronger than nitro but malleable which is probably why fender started using it. A lot of automotive paints are urethane based for this reason. Basically as wood moves and dries and can cause a nitro finish to check and if not from movement, old age can cause this too. Polyurethane is similar to urethane except it’s more of a “fixed position” finish that is better to use on something that would remain a lot stiffer and still through its lifetime. Both poly and urethane paints are still polymers but poly is a little “harder” but with that advantage, it is also more likely to crack instead of bend with the guitar should it shift. Pretty much, urethane is technically better in the since of having a reliable finish except it won’t check over time like nitro. At least as easily. But this is what I know. Hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you for the great information.

Latest Threads