Fender goes direct, ticks off Mom and Pop

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Fender's move to sell instruments directly to musicians upsets dealers - LA Times

But just before Christmas, Fender Musical Instruments began selling directly to musicians on its website.

Bricks-and-mortar retailers, already hurt by e-commerce sites such as Amazon and EBay, worry that Fender's online sales could increase competition and even offer lower prices. They also are concerned that other manufacturers such as Gibson Guitar, C.F. Martin & Co. and Ibanez Guitars may pursue similar tactics.

It's hard to not call it a bit of a betrayal," said Gabriel O'Brien, sales manager at Larry's Music Center in Wooster, Ohio, which dropped Fender as a supplier a year ago, partly because it anticipated Fender would start selling its guitar lines through its site. "I feel it undercuts dealers whose backs these brands were built on."

The issue could come to a head this week on the floor of the Anaheim Convention Center at the music products industry's biggest gathering, the National Assn. of Music Merchants annual trade show.

In the great, grand scheme of things I wonder if the traditional license agreements between music shops and manufacturers as we know it is coming to an end.....

questionman

Reaction score
A step in the right direction though. Why wait for something to get in stock somewhere else online or (as much as I love local stores) wait for them to get it. Makes complete sense to buy right from the manufacturer.

Meepers

Reaction score
Well that was interesting. I had no idea Fender had begun to sell online. I tend to not go to certain web pages because it makes me want to buy things and spend money I don't have. Fender is one of them.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
A step in the right direction though. Why wait for something to get in stock somewhere else online or (as much as I love local stores) wait for them to get it. Makes complete sense to buy right from the manufacturer.

It kind of makes me wonder where the incentive is for anyone to stock their guitars, though.

I know if I owned a music store, I wouldn't want to sign any agreements with 'em..(It's typical that for a store to be a licensed Fender dealer they have to buy X amount of product for resale. Why bother if the manufacturer is going to directly compete with its vendors?)

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd still order from somewhere like Sweetwater,...somewhere that lets me see the guitar.

Buying blind sucks.

Ordering a guitar direct from Fender would be cool but only if they let you see the actual guitar.

I think (guess?) in the future Stock Photos may not be the way to sell. If you want customers you're going to have to do like Wildwood and Sweetwater and have photos of individual guitars.

Buying blind from stock photos that may or may not look like the actual guitar really sucks sometimes.

..especially colors like Honeyburst,..which seem to vary from like a 'root beer' finish to almost a 'dirty lemon' a lot of the time. (not that Fender does honeyburst,...but....)

Shogun

Reaction score
I'd still order from somewhere like Sweetwater,...somewhere that lets me see the guitar.

Buying blind sucks.

Ordering a guitar direct from Fender would be cool but only if they let you see the actual guitar.

I think (guess?) in the future Stock Photos may not be the way to sell. If you want customers you're going to have to do like Wildwood and Sweetwater and have photos of individual guitars.

Buying blind from stock photos that may or may not look like the actual guitar really sucks sometimes.

..especially colors like Honeyburst,..which seem to vary from like a 'root beer' finish to almost a 'dirty lemon' a lot of the time. (not that Fender does honeyburst,...but....)

Fender honey burst:
Fender USA Nitro Satin Series Stratocaster Electric Guitar Honeyburst Maple Fingerboard | Musician's Friend

:wave:

On topic, shame they don't sell directly to people in Europe.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
damn, ... that's kinda sexy. I sit corrected.

Big ol' 70's headstock though. :facepalm:

meh,..I have a Strat already. :laugh2:

Tele! Tele! Tele! Tele! Tele!

siore

Reaction score
Nothing comes close to holding a guitar in your hand and pitting it against the others in the store. I agree the convenience of ordering online has undercut the music shops, partly because the buyers these days are willing to order and just upgrade, or order and flip if it doesn't work out. This move by fender just reflects the buying trends these days.

Sad, as I've only ever bought guitars at the store. Getting that feel for the instrument, putting it down if it's doesn't speak to you, come back again the following month or when new stocks come in. Getting a good relationship with the folks at the store. It's why most of my guitars are mostly stock, and also why I don't have an inkling to part with any of them soon. That sentiment, it seems, is no longer valued.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Nothing comes close to holding a guitar in your hand and pitting it against the others in the store. I agree the convenience of ordering online has undercut the music shops, partly because the buyers these days are willing to order and just upgrade, or order and flip if it doesn't work out. This move by fender just reflects the buying trends these days.

Sad, as I've only ever bought guitars at the store. Getting that feel for the instrument, putting it down if it's doesn't speak to you, come back again the following month or when new stocks come in. Getting a good relationship with the folks at the store. It's why most of my guitars are mostly stock, and also why I don't have an inkling to part with any of them soon. That sentiment, it seems, is no longer valued.

Agreed. I've never bought a guitar without playing it first, and I don't want to. I want to guarantee as much as I can that I like the feel before taking it home. Same goes for amps, and pedals to a slight extent (though I have bought a pedal or two online). To my way of thinking, some things just need to be tested personally before laying my money down. Also, having an actual relationship with the seller makes it so much easier if you ever need to address a problem with what you bought.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Hope you enjoy the day when there are no longer any Mom and Pop AND chain stores nearby you, or even a half day away. I won't.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's nice seeing a Strat that isn't Red/Blue/White/Black

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll never get the price from Fender Direct that you would from a local mom and pop. At least in my experience. All the mom and pops I know of always beat the major retailers too like Amazon, Sweetwater, GC, etc.

questionman

Reaction score
Hope you enjoy the day when there are no longer any Mom and Pop AND chain stores nearby you, or even a half day away. I won't.

Its basically that now. One store has not stocked anything new except a pile of Micro Cubes in the last 4 months...

The other one is just dealing vintage guitars now, old Gibsons and PRS. A lot of nice guitars (including one White 1987 Les Paul Custom I want BADLY) they are very overpriced there.

And for the most part, all the "new" guitars local shops get are beginner packs or very low quality Strat knockoffs.

tenchijin2

Reaction score

HenryHill

Reaction score
I think the biggest reason for Fender and Gibson is the house of cards that is Guitar Center.

Best Buy GTFO, and Fender produces guitars in volume, and those guitars have to go somewhere where they will get paid.

If GC went kaput, there's no way the other dealers could absorb all the volume that GC takes in.

I think getting the Direct Sales thing up and running is more than anything a CYA move, and the fact that smaller guitar makers are already doing it is that little more of a reason to set up their own.

I also think that that the Big 2 will also be setting up a huge warehouse system to store the production so the plants can still produce, should there be a huge burp and yak of GC.

doitforvangogh

Reaction score
Lean Manufacturing, boys. Wave of the future.

Going to be as big as San Francisco. And just as sophisticated.

Latest Threads