Fender Finish Question

wgwgibson

Reaction score
I have these strange lines in my finish. Looks like it is probably just the grain and I've looked at strat's and tele's at the store and they look similar so I'm guessing this is common. But I wanted to post it to the forum and get your opinions. You can really only feel the highest lines and even then just barely. I took a picture and over processed it so that you can see better what I'm talking about.

This is a white MIM tele. My red MIM strat is doing the same thing. I bought both of them new at the end of last year.

Thanks,

WGW

LesLuvva

Reaction score
Fender bodies are made of multiple pieces. It's not uncommon to see lines beneath the finish where two pieces are joined together, especially under a non-clear finish. That said, I'm not sure that's what I'm looking at in your pic.:hmm:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
That looks like the finish buckling from the wood expansion and contraction. I would expect to see that on an older one, but not on new ones.

Farquad

Reaction score
Concur with Dennis. I would guess that to keep costs lower they use less sanding sealer and thus you'll see more grain in the finish.

paco1976

Reaction score
Looks like thin nitro lacquer. I got one one in that finish and it is exactly like this.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fender Nitro finish? my finish on my Eric Johnson strat
is doing that as well.

paco1976

Reaction score
Fender Nitro finish? my finish on my Eric Johnson strat
is doing that as well.

Precisely Eric Johnson Stratocaster. It gets dings only by looking at it... I am very cautious with my guitars but this will look heavy relic in few years having been played with care.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Those ridges seem awfully pronounced to just be the grain showing through. I can understand maybe over time the wood dries out more, leaving the grain raised, but this guitar is still new.

I have a 99 MIM Strat and an 84 MIJ Strat and neither of them show any grain at all. Just a perfectly smooth surface. Maybe mine have a thick layer of poly that hides it or some thing?

wgwgibson

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. The lines are not cracks in the outer clear coat. They are below that surface. You can just barely feel a bump on the largest ones when you run your finger over it. They were not there when I got the guitars. Guess they are just adjusting to the climate. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse.

Thanks,

WGW

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
The last MiA tele' I owned had that. It's nothing to obsess over. I was told it was the grain from the wood.

retrobob

Reaction score
Looks like the grain of alder wood appearing as the lacquer shrinks up
over time.

Mule Train

Reaction score
If it is a standard mim the paint is polyurethane. If it is a satin finish then it is a very thin poly finish. This one is a four piece body no lamination.

2013 Standard MIM Satin

Latest Threads