Fender fibreboard eyelet board and chassis mounting

ARandall

Reaction score
Ok,
Just getting into the brown vibrolux build, and of course one of the things that you have to do yourself is figuring out how to attach the eyelet board (with backing) to the chassis (including drilling the holes).
Is it really just a case of putting in the backing plate and screwing both to the chassis, or do people who build regularly with this type of board put in little dobs of silicone sealant to prevent everything moving/vibrating everywhere???
Also there is the filter cap 'tray' too. Sort of seems like mounting the boards to the roof of this would make for the least wire routing complication.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I simply drill the holes through both boards and screw them down. I’ve done this on 6 clone builds without mishap.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, the “dog house”. That posed problem when I put together a Bassman. I used the very short screws that Mojotone supplied. They are just the right length to attach the capacitor boards to the top of the chassis without poking the back of the main board and vice versa. Attaching the metal cover was a different story. I used the same screws but did not put them in all the way as the metal cover is thinner than the two boards. I suppose I could have used some washers but the cover seemed secure and didn’t vibrate.

ARandall

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. There's not much that turns up with a search on this topic. I think many clone builders forego the fibreboard because they're looking for more solidity. All I could find was a post or two about the vibrations being potentially problematic. Interestingly enough someone was saying they thought that might have a tonal impact. :dunno: Sort of the way an unpotted pickup cover adds liveliness according to him.

With the way the wires have to exit the 'doghouse', I've sort of thought to attach the boards to the 'house' section rather than the chassis 'floor' Doing it that way means the fibreboard is not attached directly over the top of the holes + grommets the wires have to be routed through

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would consider using either screw on, or hollow spacers between the chassis floor and boards.

Screw on ones are easier, since they will remain in place as you place the board in the chassis.

Latest Threads