Fender Clean with Marshall Crunch - Rivera, Bogner and…?

Waldquelle

Reaction score
Looking for a new amp. Should do Blackface type clean and hot-rodded Plexi distortion. Budget about 1500€. Found the Bogner Shiva, some Riveras. What else is there to look at? Any hints? Of course used is not a problem, even prefered. Currently play a Supersonic22.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Suhr PT-100 and PT-15 (too expensive?), various Carr amps, some Victory amps supposedly (I haven't played them), a few different Friedman amps but the Runt 20 and Runt 50 especially. A few more budget options like Blackstar. Don't discount Mesa entirely either, though you won't get exactly Fender and Marshall in one box, you'll get close. The TC-50 can sound pretty Blackface-like on the clean channel and channel 2 is pretty hot-rodded Marshall or Jubilee sounding to me, when at lower gain settings it has a bit of a Fender Deluxe vibe to it.

Friedman Runt might be exactly what you want, if you're looking for sort of that Blackface cleans and modernized (less raw) Plexi/JCM 800 kind of thing in one amp at a pretty reasonable price.

Hecubus

Reaction score
I have a Supersonic22 and a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe. Gets both those sounds easily. Are you looking to get away from pedals? Your solution might be more attainable and less expensive than you think.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use a Plexi Drive (I actually like the regular one better than the Deluxe) and it's a fantastic lower gain pedal.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
GG20-69eea64336a694d68f81492bd1cb76a4.jpg

Last edited:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, and your choice of Plexi in a box pedals.

Rivera will, but get a used still MIA one

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Don't discount the "Marshall clean" sound, as it can be every bit as cool as the "Fender" clean, just with it's "non mid sooped" Marshall character and usually not what folks get a Marshall for. The trick is having enough headroom to get that clean at the same volume as the classic Marshall crunch. A properly set up (right speaker(s) and tubes) DSL20 can do it and any one of the Studio series (especially the SV20) can do it, as well as a 30watt JTM45/2245 doing it in spades! :cool: All those amps mentioned need to be cranked to a certain level to achieve this and therefore may require the assistance of one of the glorious @johnh attenuators. Cheap and easy to build!

All of the important build info is the first post of this VERY lengthy thread, over at the Marshall forum:

The rest of the thread (especially the most recent posts with builder refinements, etc.) is a VERY informative read and any of the useless chaff (there IS a bit) can be easily skimmed past!

Enjoy The Quest & Eventual Journey,
Gene

Waldquelle

Reaction score
OP here. Yeah.. distortion pedals are not my thing really. At least not for that tubeamp drive. I had a few great fuzzes, but lead tone I like coming from my amp. I think its a psychological thing. Gonna have a look at the 5150.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
OP here. Yeah.. distortion pedals are not my thing really. At least not for that tubeamp drive. I had a few great fuzzes, but lead tone I like coming from my amp. I think its a psychological thing. Gonna have a look at the 5150.

A friend has the 6L6 version and can't stop raving about it! The "STEALTH" version has a couple extra features, including externally tested and adjusted bias. It is worth noting that the combo versions have at least two great features not available on the head units. Reverb and more importantly Power Scaling. Why these features don't exist in the head models is beyond my understanding, but oh well! Just arming you with a bit of compaison info for informed shopping. I've not heard much about the 40 watt combo but it's like half the price, but one less channel and no midi capability, but a fuul-1/4 power switch. It may be really cool though, and well worth the look, if you can find one to try I have little interest in the 15 watters, due to lack of features and EL84 power tubes!

Understand that the heads are already fairly heavy, at 35 pounds and even the single 12" combo weighs in at 1 pound heavier than a Fender Twin Reverb at 65 pounds. Tthe 2x12 combo is a daunting 84 pounds.

I've yet to see any bad reviews on these amps and many claim they can come much closer to Marshall sounds/crunch than any Boogie can. If I were younger and incessantly gigging, I'd likely buy the 1x12" combo for the added features and then buid a head cabinet for it, for convenience! While I realize the reverb on the combo may not be a big deal, the Power Scaling can be a HUGE benefit!

Bottom line is that the Marshalls I mentioned above could quite probably get you where you wanna go, but the 5150 is definitely worth a close look, before dropping any coin!

Just My $.02,
Gene

gtimach1

Reaction score
FWIW: My 5150 III, 50 watt 6l6 goes from pristine clean to raging gain across three channels.

They get pigeonholed by many (who probably have very little experience with them) as a one trick, Eddie pony. But there are a lot of great tones in that amp.

Agreed.

Awesome amp and definitely versatile.

67DFF35A-CDF9-4CA1-8178-2D4E3EFF037C.jpeg

Last edited:

simon connor

Reaction score
I currently use a Mesa Lonestar Special: 2 channels, second channel has multiple gain stages that can be switched on or off. The best part (or my favorite part) is each of the two channels can be set at 5, 10 or 30 watts, so you have this enormous range of tonal possibilities based on the wattage alone. Mesa stopped making them, but I believe you can get them used for about $1000. I don't know enough about Marshalls to weigh in on that part, but the way I love to run it is Channel 1 on 30 watt mode for clean with headroom, and channel 2 on 5 watt mode, cranked. It is a pretty awesome amp.

Gridlock

Reaction score
When I think Fender with overdrive, I think Mesa Boogie. Probably a Mark I or Mark II series combo.

I bought this Mark IIB online about ten years ago. It had the best cleans of any Boogie that I’ve owned and could still overdrive (when very loud). I kept if for quite a few years, traded it for another amp.

Two years later I spotted the same Mark IIB for sale at a local music store. I traded another amp for the Boogie and brought it back home.

02A655EC-18B1-4556-AE1D-02B1F4C23F1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Waldquelle

Reaction score
So, I currently drive back from testing a Rivera. Had my SS22 and an ABY Pedal with me. Didnt buy it… The Fender sounded better to my ears. Now I gonna try some pedals. Wampler seems to make great stuff

Jim Klein

Reaction score
you might look at the victory line.. I have the V30 mkll [the guthrie govan lunch box head].the clean channel has its own gain so I can go from Vox clean to warm fender type tones and the lead channel has the best tube distortion I've ever had.. my old tremolux's sit in the man cave now. I use a DR.Z 2x10 cab and the rig works in small rooms on 7 watts or big room gigs on 40 watts . if you want more of a marshall sound look at the sheriff 22 .very impressed with their stuff .oh, and fender clean with a good pedal always works.

Latest Threads