Fender Blues Junior

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried or own a Fender Blues Junior?

I was looking to get a new tube amp and I got to play it in the store a little bit. Liked the sounds i could get out of the amp and it looked to be well sized.

But I need something that i can used to record and play in my room with. However I also plan to play a few small gigs with a drummer in the near future, could the 15 watt tube handle that?

:wave:

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I was looking to get a new tube amp and I got to play it in the store a little bit. Liked the sounds i could get out of the amp and it looked to be well sized.

But I need something that i can used to record and play in my room with. However I also plan to play a few small gigs with a drummer in the near future, could the 15 watt tube handle that?

I had a BLues Jr, Depending on the size of the place you are playing and your drummer, it could hang, Great amps, I would recommend the USA over MIM. but thats me, Mine was made in Corona CA and I got it second hand
you may need a pedal if you are gonna drive it into heavier rock

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I plan on getting some sort of Tonebender pedal, cause I usually only go as heavy as Zeppelin.

As for gigs, maybe gym/auditorium sized places? I also know that some of them are mic'd. I would like to have some cleans though...

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I plan on getting some sort of Tonebender pedal, cause I usually only go as heavy as Zeppelin.

As for gigs, maybe gym/auditorium sized places? I also know that some of them are mic'd. I would like to have some cleans though...
If you want to get a good clean high up , I tried this and it works get a 12AU7 tube and put it in the last postion you can go higher on the volume without break up, then jack the master all the way, If you can mike it back and front to the PA , I am sure you can cover that sized gig , The slot I am speaking of is the furthest out from the main power tubes, tube config is as most tube amps, Power tubes, Phase Inverter, Pre Amp tubes

MIDNIGHT

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

i think, 15 watts isn't enough.. maybe 30.. :rolleyes:

but yeah, like Don said....... it depends... :p

:hippie:

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i think, 15 watts isn't enough.. maybe 30.. :rolleyes:

but yeah, like Don said....... it depends... :p

:hippie:
Jason, 15 watts can be PRETTY freakin loud, and you can plug an extension cab into it, I plugged my Blues Jr into a Marshall 4-12 Cab and let me tell ya IT could probably fill a good room even without miking, Then again, depends how many band members and what others are using also
More watts does not always guarantee any better tone
When Clapton was touring " From the Cradle- Nothin But the Blues" he had a variety of very small amps on stage, some of them didnt even hit 8 watts, But each was mic'ed and Good PA and Engineering , he filled the LA Forum with dripping good blues tones

jimmydeuce

Reaction score
I used to use one for small gigs. Never really had any problems. If you can mike it you should be in good shape. Don's right about using a 12au7 to help keep it clean longer. I changed the tubes out in mine and put a Greenback I had in it. Big improvement in tone. I ran it clean to just starting to breakup and used a Box of Rock to get it dirty.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
THanks so much this really helped, I was gonna spring for an AC30 later on or a Ceriatone Plexi but the low price and simplicity of the Junior has sort of left me to think. I liked the tone enough and I can add/upgrade stuff.
lp59aholicDon thanks for mentioning that looks like something worth trying if I start gigging.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
THanks so much this really helped, I was gonna spring for an AC30 later on or a Ceriatone Plexi but the low price and simplicity of the Junior has sort of left me to think. I liked the tone enough and I can add/upgrade stuff.
lp59aholicDon thanks for mentioning that looks like something worth trying if I start gigging.
I have a friend of mine, older guy in his early 60s who gigs his ALOT the last 4-5 times I saw em , its what he was using , Eule is a tone freak with alot of amps and guitars too The place we play at, Mic ing isnt needed, I gigged mine there and elswere, even when one friend didnt think the amp could cut it, It did
You are welcome , Good luck too :slash::slash::slash:

johnreardon

Reaction score
I used to use mine for many pub gigs, with no problems at all. Not even miced up. I have the amp rehoused in a solid mahogany cabinet and it now drives 2x10 speakers. Because of the weight, I tend to mainly use it at home and take my Orange Tiny Terror out these days.

15 watts is loud, even if you do not mic the amp. I have played the BJ in a band with 2 guitarists, bass, sax, keyboards and two drummers. Ok it was just about at its limit, but you could hear me.

If you like playing with a really basic amp, that sounds great, then give the Orange Tiny Terror a look as well. You will need a speaker cab as well. Tend to use my TT + a cab containing a Celestion Gold for 90% of my playing out. Only take my Mesa amp for big places

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used to use mine for many pub gigs, with no problems at all. Not even miced up. I have the amp rehoused in a solid mahogany cabinet and it now drives 2x10 speakers. Because of the weight, I tend to mainly use it at home and take my Orange Tiny Terror out these days.

15 watts is loud, even if you do not mic the amp. I have played the BJ in a band with 2 guitarists, bass, sax, keyboards and two drummers. Ok it was just about at its limit, but you could hear me.

If you like playing with a really basic amp, that sounds great, then give the Orange Tiny Terror a look as well. You will need a speaker cab as well. Tend to use my TT + a cab containing a Celestion Gold for 90% of my playing out. Only take my Mesa amp for big places
Sounds like a nice rig for the Tiny Terror John, I bet it sounds great too
I have also heard Weber speakers make a vast improvement in the tone of the BLues Jr as well

johnreardon

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice rig for the Tiny Terror John, I bet it sounds great too
I have also heard Weber speakers make a vast improvement in the tone of the BLues Jr as well

It sounds fabulous. Never use pedals, so it's just me, guitar, amp & speaker. I have the Orange PPC112 cab, with the G12K-100 speaker, but that isn't a patch on the Gold. I housed the Gold in the orange cab for a while, but recently made a slightly smaller open backed cab, so put the Gold in that.

My Blues Junior, in a Mongotone cab, is quite a bit bigger. Also a lot heavier, with 2 speakers

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It sounds fabulous. Never use pedals, so it's just me, guitar, amp & speaker. I have the Orange PPC112 cab, with the G12K-100 speaker, but that isn't a patch on the Gold. I housed the Gold in the orange cab for a while, but recently made a slightly smaller open backed cab, so put the Gold in that.

My Blues Junior, in a Mongotone cab, is quite a bit bigger. Also a lot heavier, with 2 speakers

Ahh a guy of like thinkin, NO pedals ! :h5::cool: Like the wood Magnatone cab you put the Blues into, suggestion Might look cook in tweed :fingersx:
Demos Demos, Please

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
These days I am using a Blues Junior a lot more it can work fine with a band or in a small room for practice it's a great little amp, I did modify mine slightly and also replaced the speaker with a Celestion G12H30 and replaced the tubes. I use mine with pedals which for me makes a huge difference with that amp.
I posted a video clip a couple of weeks ago of me jamming out a blues tune with members of my band you can hear the Blues Junior in a band context using a Fulltone OCD driving the amp, at the time I had a SD59N & Custom 5 pickups in my Les Paul!
Here is the clip if you want to check it out!
YouTube - Rock Me Baby

InTheEvening

Reaction score
These days I am using a Blues Junior a lot more it can work fine with a band or in a small room for practice it's a great little amp, I did modify mine slightly and also replaced the speaker with a Celestion G12H30 and replaced the tubes. I use mine with pedals which for me makes a huge difference with that amp.
I posted a video clip a couple of weeks ago of me jamming out a blues tune with members of my band you can hear the Blues Junior in a band context using a Fulltone OCD driving the amp, at the time I had a SD59N & Custom 5 pickups in my Les Paul!
Here is the clip if you want to check it out!
YouTube - Rock Me Baby
Wow thanks for posting the clip, I had no idea the Blues Junior got that much volume, sounded good too. BTW that was a good solo you played around 1:30.

Without the overdrive and the OCD and the volume rolled back, would the amp be able to have cleans as well? I don't expect a Fender sparkle when it's that high, but maybe enough for some Pink Floyd styled stuff?:slash:

I've been hearing good things about the Tiny Terror and especially Orange lately, does it break up too early?

The thing is I like the natural light overdriven tones of these amps and would record some, but I also need something that's decent enough live, I most lieky won't find an amp like that but i'm looking. :rofl:

johnreardon

Reaction score

I've been hearing good things about the Tiny Terror and especially Orange lately, does it break up too early?

The thing is I like the natural light overdriven tones of these amps and would record some, but I also need something that's decent enough live, I most lieky won't find an amp like that but i'm looking. :rofl:
If you want it to break up early, then yes, adjustment of the gain can do it, however, I prefer to run with the gain fairly low, and use the valves, speaker, position of my guitar to the amp and my fingers to get breakup.

To be honest, in a full band, without being miced up, the TT would struggle a bit.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Wow thanks for posting the clip, I had no idea the Blues Junior got that much volume, sounded good too. BTW that was a good solo you played around 1:30.

Without the overdrive and the OCD and the volume rolled back, would the amp be able to have cleans as well? I don't expect a Fender sparkle when it's that high, but maybe enough for some Pink Floyd styled stuff?:slash:

I can dial in a really nice clean tone which is the only way I run this amp what helps is using a 12AY7 in V1, right now I'm using a GE 5 star 6072(12AY7) in that position and the rest of the tubes are JJ tubes.
The OCD is the icing on the cake for great sounding crunch tones I also use a Fulltone FD-2 10th anniversary OD pedal for some light break up or pushing the OCD into high gain riffage!

axxeone

Reaction score

I have used Two Blues JR's for years will have plenty to get over drums with.
I love walking into a gig and the drummer asks" how you goona be heard"
Half way thru the set they want me to turn down!!!!!!
Have played small venues 50 to large 2500 seat gigs.
love the blues jr.....having said all that I have recently upgraded to
65' twin .
I am playing larger gigs and dont like to be stuck to the monitor.

but you cant go wrong with the JR.

rock-on:slash:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
^Thanks a lot for the replies guys, finally got to visit Guitar Center I spent a good amount of time with the Blues Junior and couldn't get the master more than half way up in the store ( I think it'll work out fine with our drummer.). Also loved the tones I was getting out of it, covered all the stuff I liked.

I also found this Crate Palomino V32 which sounded great, was a bit darker sounding than the Fender and got some great tones on it's own.

The only issue now is that I don't know whether to go for the Blues Junior/Crate Palomino or wait a couple months and get a higher end Ceriatone Plexi/AC30.

Latest Threads