Fender Blues Jr. Tweed vs. other amps

Brian Butler

Reaction score
I own only solid state amps for a good reason, but I would like one tube amp to play around with. I've played the Blues Jr. Tweed, (NOT the regular Blues Jr.) and I love it.

How do you guys think the tone of this amp compares with other tube amps like 1) boutique amps, 2) nice amps like Fender Deluxe Reverb? Is the Blues Jr. Tweed a damn good-sounding tube amp, or is it just barely passing?

I'm not talking about the NON-Tweed Blues Jr. IMO, that amp is barely passing, but the Tweed one is quite nice, I think.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

Reaction score
I like mine a lot but I have not compared it to the ones your asking about:(

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...How do you guys think the tone of this amp compares with other tube amps like 1) boutique amps, 2) nice amps like Fender Deluxe Reverb? Is the Blues Jr. Tweed a damn good-sounding tube amp, or is it just barely passing?...
1) Compared to boutiques, it performs very well.
2) Compared to the DR Reissue, I like the B Jr. better. Compared to a real DR, it falls short.

The B Jr. is a very good sounding amp. Throw some pedals in front of it and you'll cover a ton of ground. It mic's up very well for med to large gigs. I know a guy that tilts his and puts it next to his vocal monitor.

I don't know if there's such a big gap in sound quality between the tweed and tolex models. All I know is if you throw away the factory speaker and mount up a Tone Tubby Hempcone, you will be rewarded.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
a DRRI is a MUCH better amp , but if you like the Tweed B Jr get it might as well get what you like. IMO don't believe those that say a DRRI doesn't sound as good as a org. Deluxe reverb it simply isn't ture.
And it sounds better than a B.jr

Blues Jrs. sound boxy cause of the cab. size; modding, changing speakers wil help a bit but they will not completly come out of it no matter what. If you play out and or record with them close miked of course this boxy sound dissappears.

You ask if they are as good as better made amps kind of silly ? is it not. Cause there is always BETTER :)

Brian Butler

Reaction score
thank you guys, those were very enlightening answers. As soon as my wife clears it, I'm buying, I think. (she's been very good about amps :))

hipofutura

Reaction score
I had a Blues Junior and a Ceriatone (boutique) BF Vibro Champ. The BJ was not the tweed, but isn't the speaker the only audible difference between the two models? I liked the BJ, but the speaker sucked and I replaced it. However, the Ceriatone was a significantly better sounding amp. I felt the BJ cleans were not as crisp and the distortion sounded a bit like a SS amp.

Lampens

Reaction score
I have one. First tube amp so i don't have any comparison and I haven't been able to fully turn it up yet. (why Am I even commenting, lol) The guy I bought it from said one pre amp tube was replaced with a different brand so it sounded cleaner. It indeed sounds clean. When I just got it I couldn't get it to overdrive. Then I noticed I had the master and volume mixed up. When I turned up the volume instead of the master I could get some overdrive happening. Especially with the lp but I don't know what will happen when I turn both fully up, so I can't help with that. Just want to say i like the thing and it looks cool too. :D

Standard 64

Reaction score
I had one and returned it.Was BOXY sounding.A lot of people love this amp.The BJ sounds so good to you is because you play solid state amps.

Es Paul

Reaction score
I own one. In the beginning it was a little disappointing. I modded it ( tubes, speaker, billM mods, lava speaker cable) made a huge difference. I'm happy with it now. it has a huge tonal range. I bought it yrs ago when they were decently priced but I think that with the price they are now, I would get something different.

A great thing is that it has a Master volume. Thats what I loved about it. I think that buying a used Deluxe Reverb RI would be a better deal for you. They are killer amps although you have to crank them to get some nice fender distortion.

Its apples and oranges really. The Blues jr is a great bedroom and practice amp that you can get some distortion out of without losing your hearing.

The Deluxe has been a staple for all types of music. Great cleans, compression and a great cranked tone.
One isn't better than the other, just very different.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the Blues Jr. makes EVERY guitar sound like a Telecaster, which is great, especially if you play a Telecaster!
I love mine.

Es Paul

Reaction score
My Twin Reverb is the best sounding amp Ive played through and the Blues Jr. is my everyday amp.
DSC04864.jpg

CWeeD

Reaction score
I have owned several tube amps with the Blues Jr. being one of them. The Jr. is not a terrible amp as much as some comments may imply, though it is not a great amp either. It does take pedals well enough, the reverb is decent enough, its quite portable as well as being reliable. To give one comparison example I will use the Peavey Classic 30, which is failry similar at least in the way I used it. I always had my Classic 30 set up much like a single channel amp with the normal channel set just on the edge of breakup.
The classic 30 in my opiniopn was not noticably louder than the Blues Jr.

The jr is BOXY as stated, there were times I loved the amp, and even when I did there was still something missing, it sounds a bit sterile on its own, a pedal, a speaker swap can help but its still just not right. There are a ton of mods for the Jr., frankly of which I think are a waste of money, I have listened to the sound samples and its not any better to my ears. Trying to modify one amp in hopes to turn it into something its not is really a waste in my opinion. It will never be a small box plexi or a tweed champ or anything else but a Jr. The Jr. is typically a bright amp, and even with a speaker swap is still a bright amp due to the fact that the tone controls are poorly configured adding to the somewaht lifelless sound, and this is also a problem often when switching from single coils and humbuckers.

The Classic 30 in comparison had a big enough cabinet to let the sound really project and in a much fuller spectrum. Plenty of lows, mids and the highs are not too bright as is the case often with the Jr., and the tone controls work much better than the Jr. The reverb is as good as the Jr., has an effects loop, weighs a little more and has an ext spkr jack.

Pound for pound the Classic 30 is a better amp, as well the cost is either on par or many times cheaper than the Jr.

I hope this helps, you were looking for a comparison to other amps and I thought the Classic 30 was a fair example. On a side note, I have heard many people say they get much better sounds from the Pro Jr. than they ever had with a Blues Jr.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Yes I have tried the pro Jr. also IMO it is a nicer amp than a Blues Jr.

But still and I have thought of having one just for the heck of it used about 350.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have the exact same amp. Im pretty happy with mine. Its no Orange, but it gets the job done.

Big Dik

Reaction score
Lots of love and hate for the Blues Jr. I have a Greenboard BillM modded with a Celestion Greenback, and I love ot.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
13 years ago. Way before the tone master series came out. The OP’s amp is vintage now.

Latest Threads