Fender AVRI Hot Rod 62 Strat Advice?

So What

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an AVRI 62 Strat, and an AVRI 57 Hot Rod Strat.

I have been playing my Gibsons almost exclusively for the last few months. So, I have gotten "locked" into a chunky neck.

I picked up my Strats this week to play, and I just can't stand the Skinny necks anymore. The 62 Reissue is the worst. Since the 57 Hot Rod has the soft "V" profile, it fills up my hand more and I ended up playing it.

I feel like the larger neck on the Gibsons forces me to use better finger placement. It seems like the smaller Strat necks allow me to get sloppy, and play too loose.

I have several Teles, which have slightly chunky necks, and I still like the feel of them.

So, my questions are: Anyone out there own, or played a Fender AVRI Hot Rod 62 Strat? How does it feel? What Gibson, or other guitar neck would you compare it to?

The neck is described ad "Chunky C" and I have talked to sales people who say it is just thicker than a modern "C". Unfortunately the retail places near me do not have any.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :thumb:

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
The 62 Hot Rod has Fender's largest production neck, and I think it's about .94" at the nut. So it's not as thick as say a 50's Historic, but it fills your hand pretty well. I prefer fat necks and really like the 62 HR neck when I tried a few out a couple years ago. It's still a C shape, so imagine your current 62 neck with more thickness.

LesLuvva

Reaction score
The 62 Hot Rod has Fender's largest production neck, and I think it's about .94" at the nut. So it's not as thick as say a 50's Historic, but it fills your hand pretty well. I prefer fat necks and really like the 62 HR neck when I tried a few out a couple years ago. It's still a C shape, so imagine your current 62 neck with more thickness.

Disagree - the Classic Player has a thicker neck w/12" radius, as does (I believe) the SRV & John Mayer models.

OP, your dilemma is the whole reason I don't own more strats - most of them feel like an Ibanez to me now. As soon as I pick up a strat to play, the difference is noticable immediately. I've played both the 62 & 57, and I agree with you the 57 feels better as it's a soft "V." If you find the 62 is no longer getting played, you can either 1) swap the neck, or 2) sell it outright & get a different guitar altogether. I can't think of a Gibson neck I've played comparable to the 62 AVRI Hot Rod.

Pinkie

Reaction score
Swap the neck with a USACG neck just tell them what profile you want.

So What

Reaction score
Well, I realize there is not a Strat neck that will feel like a Gibson neck. I was just wondering if people here owned one, or spent much time playing one, who could give me an idea of the feel. I would not want it to feel like my R9, because I think that would just be wierd on a Strat. But, I would like something thicker than the feel I have now, which is like a yard stick with strings. The description of being a "chunky C" sounds okay, as long as the shoulders are no worse than say a 60's LP neck. Like I said, I have no problem with the AVRI Tele necks, which have a "D" style neck, which is thicker in the middle, but shallow shoulders.

LesLuvva

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't call the 62 AVRI neck a chunky "C" - feels more like the modern "C" Fender uses on the majority of their standard production models, although I don't know what Fender means by "modern 'C'"

Based on the specs, I was all set to buy one of the 62 AVRIs until I played it - I know it's an awesome guitar, but I can't get over the feel of the neck; to me it's lacking a bit. If you get a chance, try the Classic Player 60s strat; you'll feel the difference right away.

budg

Reaction score
If you like the AVRI HR I would check it out .I am not a big fan of most of Fenders necks , but I have a SRV and a 59 thinskin with a "modified " SRV neck which are pretty chunky.I have not played the HR .

Pinkie

Reaction score
USA custom guitars in Washington state.
I'm playing a guitar with one of his necks on it and it's a chunky C shape very comfy.
You can see there is just a little drop off coming off the headstock towards the neck so much bigger than a std 60's Fender neck.
004-4.jpg

Latest Threads