Fender and Marshall tones decision

itchybro

Reaction score
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIQp1WRXP8s[/ame]

James R

Reaction score
Ok, no joke, I have wasted the last three hours watching videos of that RAH in action.
I'm ordering one.

Op, you should check out that video that itchybro posted. One pedal and a clean amp and you might have what you're after.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Ok, no joke, I have wasted the last three hours watching videos of that RAH in action.
I'm ordering one.

Op, you should check out that video that itchybro posted. One pedal and a clean amp and you might have what you're after.
I was once interested in that pedal.Then didn't because a lot of bad reviews. RAH wasnt my favorite tone.Song remains the same was better Imho.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Marshalls have really good cleans. I don't like the newer amps quite as much, but the DSL, TSL, JVM what have you... they have really good cleans. More pristine and Fender-y than I'm really used to. The old amps, it's a much spankier clean sound. Anything Marshall made before the '90s sounds very Hendrix when run cleaner. Lots of sparkle and bass, but not as much 3-dimensionality to as it you'd get from a Fender. It's a matter of what you want. There are a lot of amps from other companies that'll get you the tones in spades. But for some reason my go to is an old single channel JCM800. A good pedalboard and that amp will do anything.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Lots of amps....some of which have been mentioned....we need more info on your needs/restrictions otherwise I heard you can get great tones out of a Dumble.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Marshalls have really good cleans. I don't like the newer amps quite as much, but the DSL, TSL, JVM what have you... they have really good cleans. More pristine and Fender-y than I'm really used to. The old amps, it's a much spankier clean sound. Anything Marshall made before the '90s sounds very Hendrix when run cleaner. Lots of sparkle and bass, but not as much 3-dimensionality to as it you'd get from a Fender. It's a matter of what you want. There are a lot of amps from other companies that'll get you the tones in spades. But for some reason my go to is an old single channel JCM800. A good pedalboard and that amp will do anything.
which jcm 800?03,04,etc.thanks

nutsauce

Reaction score
For me the Mesa Lonestar Special is the best of both worlds. Great cleans, just not quite as ice-picky as a Fender. The dirt tone is just incredible. I was after Marshall dirt and to me the LSS just nails it. This was my first Mesa so I bought a couple more, a Mini Rectifier and an Express 5:25. What I found is that these Mesa's sound nothing like the LSS. They do have that nasal fizzy tone, but the LSS is just the sh*t. Never want any other amp. I buy a lot of gear, but ever since I got this amp about 5 years ago, I still have no desire for any other amp...ever.

joba

Reaction score
I have gone through a couple different amps . You should take a look at the new Tone King Royalist 15. It has that Marshall type sound and cleans up really nice to my ears. The ironman attenuator seals the deal for me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKro3XXnuI0&spfreload=10"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKro3XXnuI0&spfreload=10[/ame]

Standard 64

Reaction score
For me the Mesa Lonestar Special is the best of both worlds. Great cleans, just not quite as ice-picky as a Fender. The dirt tone is just incredible. I was after Marshall dirt and to me the LSS just nails it. This was my first Mesa so I bought a couple more, a Mini Rectifier and an Express 5:25. What I found is that these Mesa's sound nothing like the LSS. They do have that nasal fizzy tone, but the LSS is just the sh*t. Never want any other amp. I buy a lot of gear, but ever since I got this amp about 5 years ago, I still have no desire for any other amp...ever.
had my fair share of el84 amps,I prefer bigger bottle tubes,thanks

Standard 64

Reaction score
I picked up a new Marshall DSL40 combo.Thanks for all the input.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
heh,...like every amp has been mentioned. ..we all love our favorites.

My answer would be Soul Tramp.

My wraith sounds like:

Channel 1: Fender
Channel 2: Marshall
Channel 3: Soldano

..or have all 3 on at once. :shock:

matthew bear

Reaction score
I am saying with great enthusiasm, Avatar 45!!!!!!!

YES!

:D
It does deliver the goods :naughty:

It looks like you went Marshall... congrats!

Standard 64

Reaction score
I am saying with great enthusiasm, Avatar 45!!!!!!!

YES!

:D
It does deliver the goods :naughty:

It looks like you went Marshall... congrats!
I looked long at those,I have a avatar 2x12 open back cab(top quality) with a wgs mix of a et65 and a veteran 30 british invasion all the way,love it

M.C.J.

Reaction score
Since the only thing that will sound like a Marshall is a Marshall, my solution to the above question was to get this:

Clean-Green has a super-clean tone that sounds (to me) like a Twin-Reverb. Everything else screams Marshall, even the stuff that sounds like you're trying to play grunge-death-metal.
Another vote for the JVM410H:

I gots mine! And the clean tone (clean channel/green mode) is really that good (I use mine with G12C Marshall/Celestion speakers developed for the JH100 super stack, but I also use a more modern Celestion with equally great results). The dirty sounds go from a slightly crunch to classic Marshall crunch to '80's overdrive to hellacious high gain.

All this is not cheap, but if you want to cover it all in one box, the 410H is a serious consideration. The only other amp that I could confidently record or perform with would be the Mesa-Boogie Road King 2-check that mutha out!!!

InkedLester

Drippin with Blues Blood
Reaction score
Buy a Blackstar Club 40. Fender tones even cleaner than Fender tones and awsome Marshall tones.

Or, buy a Fender and use pedals.

Or, buy a Marshall and play it really low.

Latest Threads