Fender and Marshall tones decision

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
Easy a JTM 45 does Fender cleans and Marshall grit. Not a better amp for that IMO.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Traynors will get you there. Try the YCV series. The YCV20 uses EL84s, the YCV50 uses EL84s, and the rest use 6L6s.

I have the YCV50. The clean channel is very Fendery and damned near nails it with the bright switch engaged. The dirt channel is very Marshally.

Their YCS series are also very good are as their recent reissues. Then there are vintage Traynors which were based on the Fender circuit with just a couple of small changes. Since early Marshalls were also based on the Fender circuit the Traynors can be modded to Plexi specs very easily. They are also available used for very good prices (those are going up though as people realize just how great their vintage stuff is).

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.
The Custom channel is more Marshall toned.

matthew bear

Reaction score
I'd have to go with a Jtm-45 or a Phaez Daisycutter. the DC has some really good cleans and to my ear has a JTM-45 like sound with the gain dailed back... plus it'll rip your t*ts off when you crank it :D

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
Since the only thing that will sound like a Marshall is a Marshall, my solution to the above question was to get this:

Clean-Green has a super-clean tone that sounds (to me) like a Twin-Reverb. Everything else screams Marshall, even the stuff that sounds like you're trying to play grunge-death-metal.

Big John

Les Paul bowling ball
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...would you get an amp that does do Fendery clean tones and a decent Marshall type crunch tone or...
get an amp that does awesome Marshall crunch and overall good clean tone? Without pedals...
the second one...great distortion is more funner :thumb:

Standard 64

Reaction score
Since the only thing that will sound like a Marshall is a Marshall, my solution to the above question was to get this:

Clean-Green has a super-clean tone that sounds (to me) like a Twin-Reverb. Everything else screams Marshall, even the stuff that sounds like you're trying to play grunge-death-metal.
that's good to hear.funner,ha

itchybro

Reaction score
This became my solution as of last night. I'm floored with it. The gain knob allows it to go from JTM to insane.

EDIT:

P.S. It's a 6L6 based amp. The clean channel bypasses the master so, it's straight up 50 watts of Fender clean.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You could try a Tech 21 Power engine 60 cabinet and Tech 21 Character pedals....

caljoe

Reaction score

I agree 100%, I played with a guy that had one of those and when he hit the clean green I was like...... what:shock: Marshall:wow:, sounds REAL good:thumb:
If I was a regular gigging musician's this would be my amp, from crystal clean to rip your head clean off :dude:

Roman4405

Reaction score
Not sure why you don't want to use a pedal but a good MIAB into a clean Fender is pretty damn fantastic. Doesn't really answer your question but, hey...

Roman4405

Reaction score
Marshall in a Box. Like the Ramble FX Marvel Drive, the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret or the ZVEX Box of Rock or the Wampler...I can remember what theirs is called.

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
Or this one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwBLem40gg[/ame]

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Scorpion - Rock You Like A Hurricane
????
????

For the life of me, I can't ID those songs...

Standard 64

Reaction score
Not sure why you don't want to use a pedal but a good MIAB into a clean Fender is pretty damn fantastic. Doesn't really answer your question but, hey...
some of the greats play marshalls

Standard 64

Reaction score
And a lot of folk put a couple full stacks on stage, then mic their Mesa, Peavey, Fender, HiWatt, Laney or other amp in the background.
sorry,just talking about a couple of my personal favorites.I edited that post to say "some"

James R

Reaction score
Or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwBLem40gg

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Scorpion - Rock You Like A Hurricane
????
????

For the life of me, I can't ID those songs...
The 3rd song is right on the tip of my tongue, it'll come to me.
The 4th song is "Beautiful Girl" by VH.

As to the op, sorry but I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said.
My personal solution is to have a good clean amp and a couple good high gain amps and just ABY them.

Latest Threads