Fender Am. Special Trem Question

EEF13

Reaction score
I played a American Special Strat and I loved the sound and feel of the guitar but I did not have a chance to try the tremolo because they didn't have the trem arm with them. I want to know how is the quality of the American Special bridge? How does it compare to the American Standard bridge?

Benjammin

Reaction score
its your standard 6 point vintage style trem. Not as smooth or stable as the 2 point Am Standard trem. The vintage style can be fine, but require more fine tuning and upkeep to maintain a proper setup IMO/IME

EEF13

Reaction score
its your standard 6 point vintage style trem. Not as smooth or stable as the 2 point Am Standard trem. The vintage style can be fine, but require more fine tuning and upkeep to maintain a proper setup IMO/IME

I got some Graphtech saddles in a trade. If I were to get the strat I would probably replace the saddles because I already have them. Would I hear any noticeable difference in tone?

EEF13

Reaction score
I forgot to ask if the bridge is the same bridge used on the MIM Strats?

Benjammin

Reaction score
I forgot to ask if the bridge is the same bridge used on the MIM Strats?

it is the same style, I dont know if they are literally the same peice from the same factory or not. I'd be surprised if you could find an honest answer to that question from Fender. I wouldn't worry about it too much, MIM bridges aren't bad, they could use an upgraded trem/sustain block. I didnt have my Am Special long enough to make an impression, but I didnt feel the need to upgrade the block.

I dont have experience with Graphtech saddles, but I have been curious about them. I am about to start up a strat reno project, I'll probably be trying some out then, the saddles I have on there now are pretty chewed up. BTW I have a MIM Classic Player with the same 2 point trem (with vintage saddles) as is on the current American Standards, they are the best, non Floyd trem i have used

EEF13

Reaction score
it is the same style, I dont know if they are literally the same peice from the same factory or not. I'd be surprised if you could find an honest answer to that question from Fender. I wouldn't worry about it too much, MIM bridges aren't bad, they could use an upgraded trem/sustain block. I didnt have my Am Special long enough to make an impression, but I didnt feel the need to upgrade the block.

I dont have experience with Graphtech saddles, but I have been curious about them. I am about to start up a strat reno project, I'll probably be trying some out then, the saddles I have on there now are pretty chewed up. BTW I have a MIM Classic Player with the same 2 point trem (with vintage saddles) as is on the current American Standards, they are the best, non Floyd trem i have used

I have a lefty 2 point trem that I got in a trade. I wonder if I could install it without and modifications.

Benjammin

Reaction score
you would have to route the top side of the bridge cavity to fit

you can see here you need more clearance on the one side where the arm attached to the block
burl_strat_2_back.jpg

Benjammin

Reaction score
how much are you planning on using the trem? because the 6 point isnt crap, for some people its more than fine (ie, Jimi Hendrix) If you want to use it alot, heavily, and dont mind converting the body to a 2 point bridge, there is a locking model from the Am Deluxe Strats that is supposed to be that much better (XRay has one on his Jeff Beck sig, it was from him that I heard about them)
l_1996510100_xl.jpg

EEF13

Reaction score
I think I should try the bridge first before I do anything. That's if I get it.

Benjammin

Reaction score
thats probably best, unless youre a whammy bar maniac, I wouldnt worry about it. The Am Special is a great guitar otherwise

Latest Threads