Fender '65 Twin Reverb Custom 15 - your thoughts

100LL

Reaction score
there's one local, thinking about trading my Blues Deluxe Reissue for it (plus 200). Any thoughts on this amp...seems like a monster, which would be fun to look at even if I don't need it :)

100LL

Reaction score
no love for the custom 15 huh. I might just let this deal die on the vine.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like a killer pedal steel amp.

100LL

Reaction score
that's what someone over on tdpri said as well. I didn't know these were coveted by the steel community. Interesting.

It's a little bold. I might suffer the fate of Icarus if I go down this road.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
If the price was right, I’d pick it up and rock it out.

100LL

Reaction score
I never closed the loop on this thread.

I did make a deal for the Twin Reverb (traded my Blues Deluxe RI plus a couple of hundred dollar bills). It's a beast to say the least....I was playing it today and had fun.

One question for those who know these amps. It wants to see 4 Ohms. I have an 8 Ohm extension cab that I was tempted to plug in. Would the twin be offended at seeing 2.7 Ohms instead of 4?
D75352D0-4806-4E87-B9DD-DC0CCA053480.jpeg

Last edited:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Ever since the '60s when blackfaces debuted, people have been using the internal speakers along with extension cabs. Fenderphiles generally consider 1:2 and 2:1 mismatches to be safe.

You could run a 4 ohm extension for a total load of 2 ohms and be safe. 8 ohm extension is fine (although the power won't be evenly split -- most of it will go to the 4 ohm internal).

The exceptions are the 2 ohm 410 Bassman combos, and the 2 ohm Super Reverb. It's generally thought that running a nominal 1 ohm load (actually lower than that at some frequencies) is pushing it a little.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Disclaimer: most people don't dime the big Fenders for extended periods of time.

If you're going to really crank it like Dick Dale or Ted Nugent, matched impedance is safer.

100LL

Reaction score
Lord help me if I ever crank the Twin Reverb. I guess if I ever play an outdoor festival it could happen...but that would be quite a ways down the road if it ever happens.

thanks for the advice. I'll try out the extension cab for a little fun.

CB91710

Reaction score
Disclaimer: most people don't dime the big Fenders for extended periods of time.

If you're going to really crank it like Dick Dale or Ted Nugent, matched impedance is safer.
Yep.
Two factors to consider:
1 - Higher impedance reduces the load, which reduces the current draw, which causes the plate voltage to rise. Open circuit? Kaboom as the tubes arc internally. That's why the Spk-1 jack shorts to ground when the speaker is unplugged.
2 - Lower impedance increases the load, which increases the current draw, pulling plate voltage down. The power supply can generally handle this, but the output transformer will run hotter due to the higher current on the primary.

But watts is watts... the OT was designed to handle 100+ watts, and as long as you are not exceeding that rating, the OT will handle the load.
I used to run my Peavey Deuce with an 8 ohm 4x12 along with the internal 12's at pretty high volumes and never had any issues with the output section. It went in for service a few times, but it was related to the solid state preamp section.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard an original in my teens. The finest amp I've heard...... They were JBLs then.....

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lord help me if I ever crank the Twin Reverb. I guess if I ever play an outdoor festival it could happen...but that would be quite a ways down the road if it ever happens.
Found myself having to do this exact thing with a rental SF Twin at a big outdoor festival and it wasn't me playing it, but the singer playing mainly rhythm guitar. He needed some crunch, and hadn't brought any pedals. I was using a rental Marshall 100 watt Master Volume, so I had to crank that as well to hear myself. Even on a big outdoor stage that Twin was ludicrous. Sounded good though, just needed to avoid getting very close when in front of it. Ear splitting!

Late 90s. He went on to buy a SF Twin soon after. I think I gifted him the heavily modded Tube Screamer pedal he needed to go with it. I will never risk a dimed Twin Reverb again. Too loud, man! ( :))

Liam

CB91710

Reaction score
Found myself having to do this exact thing with a rental SF Twin at a big outdoor festival and it wasn't me playing it, but the singer playing mainly rhythm guitar. He needed some crunch, and hadn't brought any pedals. I was using a rental Marshall 100 watt Master Volume, so I had to crank that as well to hear myself. Even on a big outdoor stage that Twin was ludicrous. Sounded good though, just needed to avoid getting very close when in front of it. Ear splitting!

Late 90s. He went on to buy a SF Twin soon after. I think I gifted him the heavily modded Tube Screamer pedal he needed to go with it. I will never risk a dimed Twin Reverb again. Too loud, man! ( :))

Liam
And to think Ted played CalJam-2 with a wall of Super Twins... and you know Ted had them cranked!

Stage left, opposite Derek and his Marshalls.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Custom 15 really shines on clean jazzy stuff. The 15 adds wonderful richness to the tone....

I still remember that old Deluxe through an original and wanted one since a teen and I'm 63... just never ran across one when I gigged guitar... Had a white Marshall though.. Would have rather had the Custom 15...

Bought a used Delta Blues 115 last year to get some 15 mojo... Love it.... Different though.

Slide through a good 15 can take on a whole new color palette.

Latest Threads