Female doctors not comfortable with naked male patient.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
This is a message I sent to the local VA hospital:

"I had an annual dermatology exam last Wednesday (7th) with Dr S. This year, she did not examine my entire body. I was told to leave my underwear on, the covered area was not examined. Last year's exam was of 100% of my body.

Is this a male/female thing? I do not want to be treated like a pariah because of my gender.

Thanks"

The Patient Advocate at the VA will be getting a similar message soon about my GP. She has never seen me with my shirt or pants off. This is weird and a little scary. I'm 69, I have NEVER had a medical exam without taking my clothes off.

Have any of you folks at MLP had similar experiences?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
My GPs have been female for the past 20 years. I have seen two of them. One of them would drop my shorts and examine my junk. I don't recall if she gave me the hernia test. The other didn't check anything under my shorts and told me to make sure I see my urologist to check me for hernias and my prostate. She was wearing tall black leather boots with a short skirt. I was a little insulted.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
This is a message I sent to the local VA hospital:

"I had an annual dermatology exam last Wednesday (7th) with Dr S. This year, she did not examine my entire body. I was told to leave my underwear on, the covered area was not examined. Last year's exam was of 100% of my body.

Is this a male/female thing? I do not want to be treated like a pariah because of my gender.
Thanks"

The Patient Advocate at the VA will be getting a similar message soon about my GP. She has never seen me with my shirt or pants off. This is weird and a little scary. I'm 69, I have NEVER had a medical exam without taking my clothes off.

Have any of you folks at MLP had similar experiences?
You should have reassured her that as you identify as a woman she should have no trouble examining your "woman" bits...

cheers

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
My GP wears an Arab-style headscarf that is folded a few times. When she uses her stethoscope, her earpieces are outside the scarf. The listening end is on my shirt. She is a pathetic excuse for a doc.
Tell her you identify as both a woman and Arab style....

Simples.

cheers

Tone deaf

Reaction score
My GP wears an Arab-style headscarf that is folded a few times. When she uses her stethoscope, her earpieces are outside the scarf. The listening end is on my shirt. She is a pathetic excuse for a doc.
No way she should be a doc. They must be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I don't care about the head scarf wearing, but there is a right way and many wrong ways to use stethoscopes.

cjpeck

Reaction score
My GP wears an Arab-style headscarf that is folded a few times. When she uses her stethoscope, her earpieces are outside the scarf. The listening end is on my shirt.
right there would be an issue for me. The earpieces must seal tight to the ear canal and there should not be anything between the diaphragm and the patient. Having your shirt between the diaphragm and your body meant all she was listening to (if she could hear it above the ambient noise in the room that is) was the friction between your shirt and the diaphragm. Poor technique like that would be a 'no-go' in a EMT-Basic practical exam.
You were discriminated against, amigo. She hates old white dudes.

full disclosure: I don't know if she hates old white dudes or not, but that was a crappy exam. Wonder what else was skimmed over.

this is me, Chango Malo, retired firefighter/CCEMTP and it's my own personal opinion.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I once had a female rheumatologist 20 years ago that possibly seemed less than cozy with my nudidity even though I was covered by an actual cloth (not disposable paper) fit to sized me gown I was asked to don. Junk remained hidden. Then again I could be wrong.

U of Penn Medicine > any primary care.

I intentionally spelled nudidity wrong. Just sounds funnier ...

gadafi

Reaction score
Unfortunately a sad fact of life, just too many sicko's out there who would intentionally go to a female doc just to show them their junk for kicks.

RAG7890

Reaction score
........standing there with no clothes on, I casually remarked, man the Floor in your Office is cold Doctor. She laughed.

Seriously though my main Doctor is a Female.

:cheers2:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
You should report her to the whatever Doctor's Association or Doctor's Ethic Committee in your area.
That is a prime example of discrimination and/or incompetence.
If she can't use a stethoscope, for whatever reason, she shouldn't be a doctor.
That's all.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, this is really weird. If a VA patient has a possible condition which requires removal of all his clothing, he is entitled, under Federal law to be examined for it by a VA doctor. who will examine it. This is not a sexual thing, it is proper practice of medicine. If you are entitled to VA health care, you are so entitled. Get in touch with your US Congressman or Senator and raise hell!.

I had a similar problem, I needed (the local VA clinic said) a prostate biopsy, and they wanted me to go to Albuquerque NM to get it. Now that is a four hour drive one way from here, and they wouldn't pay for a motel stay. With the entire matter of "Veterans Choice" being a bit up in the air, I just used my Medicare and got the procedure locally -- which yielded no problem.

I belong to a veterans advocacy organization, and I strongly believe that a vet who is entitled to VA care is so entitled, regardless of the problem, and if the distance is more than 40 miles, a local doc should be paid by the VA.

Now if the VA has a woman doctor, and my junk has to be exposed in the exam. I am rather sure that she has seen all that before. But if she (not I) object to the exam, I am not getting the VA care to which I m entitled.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well docs are supposed to be docs, who don't give a damn about my junk. It's not that much to see anymore, anyway! It is like if I were a gynecologist doc. I'm not there to look at p*ssy, but I'm there to diagnose and cure disease. I'm sure that the doc who gave me a digital/rectal exam for my prostrate didn't enjoy it any more than I did. If giving full medical care is repulsive to a doc, they shouldn't be a doc. Being a doc is like being an automotive tech. The human body is like a machine, and fixing it is the only objective.

meatball

Reaction score
The Bass player in my band ,the Spies , is a GP . I prefer to NOT have him handle my junk or examine the old back door ,, there is a line you just dont cross past the back line !!

Mockbel

Reaction score
In 2006 I had a terrible car accident caused neck fracture.. I stayed in hospital for 2 weeks almost paralyzed... nurses used to do everything to me including toilet and shower.. never felt they are uncomfortable with that.. I was !

stiff fingers

Premium Member
Reaction score
When I had my Hernia surgery I went with the female surgeon that was recommended by my GP, no problems. The only time gender was mentioned was post-op. A very very, strong warning about not doing any "stupid guy stuff".

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, isn't this post about a female doctor who, because of her religion, would not give a proper exam to a VA patient? Maybe I'm wrong and lost, but if that is the case the VA patient is entitled to proper exam and care, under law. It is not the case of a guy not wanting a female doctor. It is the case of a female doctor not being willing to give a male VA patient the exam and treatment he may need.

Many great doctors are now women. If I need medical help, the last thing I worry about is the doctor seeing my junk (or what is left of it, as by age 75 stuff tends to shrink). But I understand the OP's problem is that his VA doc won't give him the exam and treatment he may need, because she is female and he is male.

Last edited:

My Les Paul Classifieds