Feeling alone. Any tubers left, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all the modelling folk; you got a forum :applause:

Seeing how many people have switched or ditched tube amps completely has me feeling that I am the only 1 left who still prefers tube amps. :laugh2:

Of course I know this is not at all the case, but it would be nice to see who else still digs tube amps and why

For me, it's all about the charm of the old antiquated technology. I've said it before, in a blind test, I could not tell, but there's just...something...about tube amps. Again, like a 454 early 1970s Chevy Chevelle, or the First Six Black Sabbath albums, NWOBHM, German speed metal, Euro Metal like FN Guns, or hard/heavy music up until the mid 1980s (wow, I'm a dinosaur)

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nawww,you aint alone brother....I like my amps to breath,ya know??:thumb:

matthew bear

Reaction score
I love amps. I am also quite intrigued these days by the quality of modeling. Why not have both?

I'll always have my Swart, but I wouldn't mind a Helix right about now :hmm:

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I haven't been persuaded why I should change over. I'll play my tube amps until I've burnt out all my power tubes, and backups. I have five pairs in my backups alone, so I plan to be here for a while. I also can't see myself spending a minimum two grand so I can have 300 amp sims, when I will likely only use two or three. When the price of a good processor comes down to a more reasonable price (<$500), perhaps I may switch.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want tubers?

We got tubers. :thumb:

Tube-WenRiver-lg.jpg

rvschulz

Reaction score
all tubes, all the time. never heard a SS amp i liked. and ... i have enough cash tied up in my amps that i can't really afford to try a bunch of new stuff

while i wouldn;t go so far as to say "you'd have to pry them from my cold hard dead hands" ... probably will never have any new amps.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I love it all. But the best amps I have are three old 12-15w Hoffman hifi amps. I noticed a long time ago that any guitar played through them sounds good. And different from each other. Haven't found a modeling patch that matches them.
All Amperex or Sylvania tubes. EL84s and EF86 preamp with tube rectifier (of course!) Hand wired (late fifties), lots of iron in the OT and power transformers. They just sparkle and bark.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fellas. I see in my original post that I omitted the MIGHTY Led Zep, so I flicked my ear a couple of times

:lol: :laugh2: :lol: :laugh2:

I havent tried any of the new tech,however,I did buy a L6 Pod back in what?'05 maybe? I found one or 2 sims that I liked,however,it just didnt do it for me....quite a few of my buddies were all about that stuff,bought umpteen modeling this,modeling that pieces of gear. And it lasted for about a year and-a-half till they came back around to tube amps. I know some guys swear by this stuff,but,the tube amps are tried and true....If it aint broke,dont fuc&ing try and fix it,man:laugh2:

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still love my tube amps, but I keep fewer of them set up in the house now. I have a pair of 200 watt (RMS) powered monitors with horns and 15' speakers. I run the modelers directly into them. The amount of diverse tones available is staggering.

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
Yeah I feel like the modeling guys have taken over the forum. Every time any tube amp comes up, there's the modeling guy saying how modelers are better and tube amps are only for people who want to damage your hearing. So they make you feel guilty that you even like tube amps. For me I've been spending most of my time elsewhere b/c it's just annoying after awhile.

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I feel like the modeling guys have taken over the forum. Every time any tube amp comes up, there's the modeling guy saying how modelers are better and tube amps are only for people who want to damage your hearing. So they make you feel guilty that you even like tube amps. For me I've been spending most of my time elsewhere b/c it's just annoying after awhile.

That's hilarious. Cool story bro!

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Yeah...I don't think that's true. How many threads overall have been dedicated to modelers vs tube amps over the last 7 years?
I've encountered resistance for a long time in discussions about modeling and synthesis. So I felt there was little for me to do on this forum but ****post. :laugh2:

At which I have since become a master! :dude::cool:

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

:laugh2:

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
100W Marshall in the rehearsal room, 5W 'Fame' Champ 600 Clone at home as a clean pedal platform.
I'm not against modeling, Its just what I like better
Whatever works for you

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
For me I've been spending most of my time elsewhere b/c it's just annoying after awhile.

This has been my experience lately because you could hardly avoid it.. but I think the problem's been resolved.

Anyways @OP - I am all about the charm of antiquated gear too. I grew up loving those oldschool classic rock tones and I get a sweet buzz when I play through a tube amp with the power tubes working hard.. so I've been attenuating to get it in all my volume situations and it has been glorious. I'll never get over how the right amount of sag and sustain just makes the whole thing sound so creamy. It just pulls the notes outta my fingers in a way that nothing else can.

That's why I've been into marshall. I can get that all day long on the class 5, and with my jcm900 I can attenuate to get it there.. the 900 has this low mid thump at low gain that when you palm mute power chords it just sends shivers down my spine. On the clean channel with no preamp gain and just power tube saturation somewhere around acdc, I am hanging on for dear life.

I use a mesa dual rectifier too for the metal tones and it also is a thing of beauty. But it doesn't make me grin like the marshalls can. :slash:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I've got an old Marantz 1060 I use for bass and modelers. I think it's a very good SS amp. As were the Lab Series amps. Meh.

johan.b

Reaction score
Seeing how many people have switched or ditched tube amps completely has me feeling that I am the only 1 left who still prefers tube amps. :laugh2:

...It only look that way because when the modelling crowd are online trying to justify their latest purchase, the tube guys are offline playing their guitars through a tube amp.
J

Big John

MLP: mid life pimple
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pffft, modeling, schmodeling....tube amps are more funner :applause:

1a4acbbd-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads